Does Oregano needs a lot of water?

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,336,762 happy users since 2014.
Register

Unohana

The Explorer of Sbenny
Member for 3 years
So we have oregano at home and I always had a soft spot for that plant. Since I want to take care of it greatly, I want to know how much water an Oregano needs. My mom makes me water them a lot. Thanks

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff Member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
I have around 15 square meters of oregano, I never watered it and it's entirely under the sun, all the day. Unless I'm lucky (I'm kidding here, it's science, not luck), I'd say oregano doesn't need any special treats to grow, especially if it's in his natural environment like in my case.
Adding more to this, I remember going to the countryside with my mom when I was younger to harvest some oregano, and it was in an abandoned land as well, which makes me think it really doesn't need extra water to grow, assuming it's in his habitat of course.

This said, I'm pretty sure it would still grow better if particular care is given, which of course includes watering it from time to time, but from my experience, I wouldn't say it's particularly hard to grow it, all it needs is sun light. On the other side, beware too much water could damage its roots which could become rotten, making the plant die, so make sure there's no water stagnation and you'll be fine.

And as an extra, here are some pictures of my oregano (click on the pictures to enlarge them):

IMG-20230802-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20230802-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20230802-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20230802-WA0018.jpg

We're over flowering period or you'd see them completely white, and we already harvested A LOT of it, but it's really so much that we never run out of oregano. Consider it didn't rain for over two months here, and oregano is still completely fine and healthy as you can see.

I hope it helps!

Unohana

The Explorer of Sbenny
Member for 3 years
Since you mentioned too much water can damage its roots so what's the best course of action during heavy rain?

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff Member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
It depends on the soil of your garden. Generally speaking, unless you're on a clay soil you should be fine, as the water can generally drain quite easily under the soil. If, for example, there's stagnation which doesn't go away in a couple days, then it probably means you're on a clay soil, or there's rock immediately under the upper layer of your garden.

If, instead, oregano (or any plants in general) is in a pot, you'd want to make sure you added some expanded clay in the bottom of the pot, to make sure water drains easily. Another last tip, in this case, is to periodically empty the saucer (if you're using it, of course).

Kenobin

SB Cartel Max Level
✌️ Community Team
From the Hell
Special Guest
🎮 Testing Team
Verified 18+ user
⭐ Unlimited Access ⭐
Member for 1 year
Perfect thanks for the information (y);)

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
I love oregano, I'll try someday to have a small pot in my home. I'll save this for latter!!

WilhelmGer

In Love Lv4️⃣
Some Oregano can survive without water and Some Oregano needs very much water daily.They are very weird

MoepMoep

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
I grow a completely normal oregano (no high tech oregano with chocolate taste or sth. like that) in my garden and after the initial phase after planting it, I never watered it. I live in a region with summers that can be very wet, but also very hot and dry. Winters can be mild and wet or freezing cold. It's different every year. Ten years later my oregano is still alive and has become rather big. It survived everything the weather in my homecountry threw at it.
I do have clay soil, therefore I simply mixed sand into it, so the water can drain better.

Last edited: