Pride Month Movie Suggestions??

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,971 happy users since 2014.
Register

LadyHofAvalon

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Hey guys, since June is here and its the start of pride month, I'm looking for recommendations on LGBT+ movies or any tv series out here :)

So far I've binged on Carol (2015) and started on The Handmaiden (2016)... and One day at a time... tumblr got me started but as there is so little representation for my people out there... it's hard to find titles... so if it's okay, any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Chastitea

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Hey!! I feel like I've come a little late to the party but I just /have/ to give you a list of my own. I've been on a kind of binge run with gay movies ever since I found that there really aren't many movies/series with non-straight characters. This is probably after I've watched mortal instruments a hundred times and still love watching Malec play on screen.

(By the way I couldn't help but notice your profile picture. I love "The Arcana", the art and story is beautiful. I just hate waiting for new chapters to come out)

Anyway! Here's my list::

- In the flesh
> Series | Gay Protagonist | 2013-2014
> zombies | romance (I know, sounds a little weird right? Wait till you watch it)
☆☆☆☆
- Please like me
> Series | Gay Protagonist | 2013 - 2016
> romance | comedy (gets a little mundane as you go through the series though)
☆☆☆
- Kill your darlings
> Movie | Gay Protagonist | 2013
> romance | thriller | drama (it's so good, plus it's god Daniel Radcliffe in it)
☆☆☆☆☆
- Maurice
> Movie | Gay | 1987 (I know it sounds like its old, but god the emotions)
> romance | drama
☆☆☆☆
- Call me by your name
> Movie | Gay | 2017
> romance | drama (I felt everything in this movie, especially the embarrassment, you will know what I mean when you watch it)
☆☆☆

I remember watching more, but I'll have to search around a bit. Anyway, I hope I helped!

LadyHofAvalon

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Have you seen Moonlight or Love, Simon? Those were really really good movies as well!
Oh yeah--- I went to my local cinemas when Love, Simon aired; by myself 😂.
Moonlight is still on my to watch list. Thank you so much though!❤
Post automatically merged:

Hey!! I feel like I've come a little late to the party but I just /have/ to give you a list of my own. I've been on a kind of binge run with gay movies ever since I found that there really aren't many movies/series with non-straight characters. This is probably after I've watched mortal instruments a hundred times and still love watching Malec play on screen.

(By the way I couldn't help but notice your profile picture. I love "The Arcana", the art and story is beautiful. I just hate waiting for new chapters to come out)

Anyway! Here's my list::

- In the flesh
> Series | Gay Protagonist | 2013-2014
> zombies | romance (I know, sounds a little weird right? Wait till you watch it)
☆☆☆☆
- Please like me
> Series | Gay Protagonist | 2013 - 2016
> romance | comedy (gets a little mundane as you go through the series though)
☆☆☆
- Kill your darlings
> Movie | Gay Protagonist | 2013
> romance | thriller | drama (it's so good, plus it's god Daniel Radcliffe in it)
☆☆☆☆☆
- Maurice
> Movie | Gay | 1987 (I know it sounds like its old, but god the emotions)
> romance | drama
☆☆☆☆
- Call me by your name
> Movie | Gay | 2017
> romance | drama (I felt everything in this movie, especially the embarrassment, you will know what I mean when you watch it)
☆☆☆

I remember watching more, but I'll have to search around a bit. Anyway, I hope I helped!
Firstly woahhh these movies??? haven't seen/heard of them yet so this is awesome!!

I guess i'm going to start with "In the flesh" because zombies (I love this genre soooo much) then Kill your darlings, before going through the others probably.

--though isn't CMBYN somewhat controversial? people keep having discourse.... though I guess i'd tey and judge it by my own, so i'll probably try watch it.

(ALSO BIG MOOD HAHAHA The Arcana is a big part of my life and sameeee I can't believe I could get so patient with an app for new updates but here I am 😂😂😂)

anyways Thank you so much for suggesting all of these titles, I'm looking forward to seeing them later!❤

What I've watched so far
-Carol (My Babes, flung out of space.... also fun fact it took me 7 weeks of combing through our local bookshop before finding the book it was based on, aka The Price of Salt on the bottom shelf near the poetry so RIP old me)

-Orphan Black (I've stanned this show since it was in the stages of its pilot before dropping it before s2 bc I jumped fandoms but anyways I'm actually??? still finishing this!!! Delphine and Cosima own my heart and I really want to thank Tatiania Malasny and Évelyne Brochu)

-Bloomington (this was bad but if you cut it half way then you have a semi-happy movie that's kinda problematic but atleast had the characters have a happy ending)

-Atomic Blonde (I know I shouldn't have bothered as I already knew what went down but I did and while I die with Delphine, but seeing Lorraine kick ass??? kills me a little bit further)

-One Day at a Time (ugh my poor heart clutching in sadness whenever I watch s1 and even s2 my bb Elena doesn't deserve this but ANYWAYS THIS WAS SO GOOD MMM REWATCHING IT AGAIN AFTER EVERYTHING GETS DONE)

What I still have in queque
-Brooklyn 99 (I NEED A LINK I HAVE WATCHED ALL OF THEIR ANTICS IN YOUTUBE BUT NEVER HAD SEEN EPISODES PER SEASON BUT AAAAAA)

-Wynonna Earp

-Mystère à la Tour Eiffel (I had planned watching this A LOOOONG time ago but lost the link so I had to find it again with subtitles bc this is a french series starring an interracial french couple in a period drama/murder mystery where they investigate murders.... and I'm pretty sure they get to kill too or somth)

-Killing Eve (Villanelle??? a very problematic High femme murder baby is assigned to kill Eve Polastri, also a very problematic bb; who is working on catching her..... but instead they spiral to an obsession with each other and it's? just???? also starring other badass women and some good side characters)

-Love, Simon (I'm combing my go to site for this so I can rewatch and and cry so much again)

-Moonlight (I stg I planned watching this when it aired 2016/7ish bc Janelle Monae but also bc I heard it was good af so yeah)

-The Handmaiden (A rewatch bc I already have it on my laptop but it takes long to boot and the subtitles are out of place with the dialogue sometimes RIP)

-Sense8 (Heard it was good and got cancelled but mmm I want to see it...)

-your suggestions!!!

Last edited:

Chastitea

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
I watch all my movies/series on either 123movies or fmovies. Here are the links for Brooklyn nine nine in case you're still looking for a site to watch it on

Fmovies

123movies

LadyHofAvalon

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
So I just heard the news about this WLW movie in Kenya, called 'Rafiki' but the gov't got it banned from showing there citing propaganda... It's an indie film but good lord it seems really good...

Hm.

Chastitea

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Oooooooo, I just read the blurb and it does look good! I'm definitely watching it, I just can't believe it's banned, I thought we were starting to get over that by now >_>

LadyHofAvalon

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Okay, another indie film update-- Baka Bukas (Maybe Tomorrow, translated to english--) is a filipino indie film, with a genre like a slice of life. Wikipedia's reviews aren't exactly that kind, citing it being rough around the edges but personally I think it's mostly because the Philippines isn't exactly supportive of the community being a heavily traditional catholic country and all.

Anyways here's a link for its trailer
and I'm currently screening if I could find a site to watch it with subtitles on.

HERE IT IS
filikulamo.to/baka-bukas-2016.html
with english subtitles-- be sure to close the ads when you start to play it tho, sometimes it can really be annoying.

Last edited:

Jiny

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Okay, another indie film update-- Baka Bukas (Maybe Tomorrow, translated to english--) is a filipino indie film, with a genre like a slice of life. Wikipedia's reviews aren't exactly that kind, citing it being rough around the edges but personally I think it's mostly because the Philippines isn't exactly supportive of the community being a heavily traditional catholic country and all.

and I'm currently screening if I could find a site to watch it with subtitles on.

HERE IT IS
with english subtitles-- be sure to close the ads when you start to play it tho, sometimes it can really be annoying.
Nice, thanks! I've been wanting to watch this title but never got around to it. Have you seen or heard of a pinoy teleserya titled The Rich Man's Daughter? It is also wlw.

LadyHofAvalon

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
l've heard of it, yeah-- but never got around to watching it as it aired super late...... also I did not know it was actually a WLW telenovela!!! shsjkdk i'm screaming this is so wack I can't believe there was this ajdkkdlld

Nice, thanks! I've been wanting to watch this title but never got around to it. Have you seen or heard of a pinoy teleserya titled The Rich Man's Daughter? It is also wlw.
Jusko I cannot believe I've missed this entire thing, and right now I just listened to the ending theme and i'm on a journey ahskdkl thank you for bringing this up to my attention!!

Jiny

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Omg same. When it came out, I was so shocked. Like a dream come true. I'm happy that the same team that wrote the gay telenovela My Husband's Lover, eventually created The Rich Man's Daughter too.

Haha, sama ako sa journey mo. I've only seen the first handful of episodes so far. I love their soundtrack too. And of course, it's my pleasure as a fellow Filipina wlw :)

LadyHofAvalon

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
soooo I found a new movie to share:

In between
Movie|Arab(has subtitles)|A WLW lead
☆☆☆☆
It's a story following the lives of 3 strong, independent women living together in an apartment tel aviv, tackling different issues (like the patriarchy, oppresion, sexuality, and the likes)

here's the trailer:

ahsjkdl hopefully I can find a link to its movie, it's so hard searching on sites tbh....

nenya

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 6 years
Have you seen I Can't Think Straight and Saving Face? Oldies but goodies.

Nice pic :p I love The Arcana (I don't bother with the Asra and Julian books lol) even though the updates take long. It's a great story so I don't mind waiting

lon3lynation

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
I haven't watched many films personally. I tend to watch TV series instead but Disobedience is a new one that I wanna see. Imagine Me & You is a common favorite but
I think everyone has already seen that. Here's a great list of wlw films on Autostraddle. The 100 Best Lesbian, Queer & Bisexual Movies Of All Time Go back to previous pages for more.

Happy Pride!

Skullgirl22

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 5 years
Try to find Victor/Victoria it is a comedy from 1982 which I think was very progressive for the time. It stars Julie Andrews ( that had played Mary Poppins), as a poor woman in the 20's that pretends to be a gay man who works as a drag queen. It is a very funny and well made movie. Also find the original birdcage which is called La Cage Aux Folles,it is a french movie (subtitled) but truly as funny as the remake. Queer as folk was a great series,im sure you can find it online somewhere. And this movie I discovered a few months ago,I didnt even know about it. It was a real surprise to find it and that a movie with that subject matter was made at that time. It is called The children's Hour (1961), with Shirley Maclaine and Audrey Hepburn which play teachers that run a private school in a secluded and small town and are accused of being lesbians by a student. Very well written and heartbreaking movie. After watching that movie I am surprised I had never heard of it. I wonder how it was received when it originally came out. A must see for everyone for sure.

Ranma

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
You guys might want to try Blue is the Warmest Color. <3

Madz

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years

HERE IT IS
Hey there, zup, Madz here from Philippines, yeah your right, mostly Filipinos are somehow not that totally supportive because of strong religious beliefs, and all and especially Catholicism but still many of us not support them in a way but in return we fully respect the LGBT community.

Many entertainers here are Gays but believe me you'll laugh your heart out once you see them perform normally in comedy bars around. Try to pay a visit sometime and see them go wild, bezerk in a very professional manner.

btw try to look for a subtitled version of the movie "Die Beautiful" an award winning indie film (won the 2016 tokyo intl film fest audience choice awards and best actor for the film). Laugh and Cry baby!

anyway, heres the link so you can initally read about it, enjoy!

Die Beautiful - Wikipedia

LadyHofAvalon

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Hey there, zup, Madz here from Philippines, yeah your right, mostly Filipinos are somehow not that totally supportive because of strong religious beliefs, and all and especially Catholicism but still many of us not support them in a way but in return we fully respect the LGBT community.

Many entertainers here are Gays but believe me you'll laugh your heart out once you see them perform normally in comedy bars around. Try to pay a visit sometime and see them go wild, bezerk in a very professional manner.

btw try to look for a subtitled version of the movie "Die Beautiful" an award winning indie film (won the 2016 tokyo intl film fest audience choice awards and best actor for the film). Laugh and Cry baby!

anyway, heres the link so you can initally read about it, enjoy!

Die Beautiful - Wikipedia
Hi Madz! It's super nice to meet you!

So I'm technically not yet allowed to go to comedy bars until next year, but yeah-- they are!!! Super cool af and hillarious at the same time 😆

Also I've watched Die Beautiful in the theaters when it was on, and honestly?? It was poignant, unexpected, and abso-frickin-lutely heartwrenching; It was everything.

I had shivers watching it, and it doesn't fall far from my mind tbh.

Anyways, thanks so much to everyone else who's been posting! It's heartening to see people suggesting for a time 🤓👍