This is a place for everyone who loves to read to meet and discuss books :D

Quick Overview

Category
Books
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Talking about books (Can include your books recommendations too)

Do you love reading?

• Total voters

redfox96

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
When I was smaller, I used to have a thing with papers even when I used to dislike reading back then. I draw whatever and I basically bring papers everywhere with me even on a vacation or a trip to my grandma's. Eventually as I grow bigger, I came to love the smell of books & the scent of a bookstore and it lead me to love reading books :stareyedroid: Especially romance genre books. I love it so much because I'm such a hopeless romantic (lol, don't judge me) :lol: I've read When There is Hope by Jane Goodger and I literally bawled my eyes out reading that book because it was just too damn good. So I was wondering, what made you love reading books and what books would you highly recommend to me? I want some suggestions, any genre will do as long as it's worth reading or buying.. but wait, recommend me anything except for BDSM. It made quite uncomfortable reading that kind of book o_O No offense for those who love it, by all means go for it :cool:

Life Hacker

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 6 years
Well, my personal favourites that I would recommend are:-

1. Mortality by Christopher Hitchens
2. White Tiger by an Indian author
3. Who will cry when you die by Robin Sharma
4. The monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma I think you will like these books although I have many recommendations as I have read at least books equivalent to 5-10 libraries so I just suggested a few of my favourites hope you like them too

Moonblink

Resident Bookworm 🐛
Member for 6 years
Oooooooh this is such an exciting topic!!!

I started reading (actual novels) when i was 8 or 9 (before that i read comics and picture books but not much), and it was thanks to my aunt, we lived a few hours away from her so we didn't visit much. But i remember the first ever novel i read was given to me by her. At the beginning i had only 3 or 4 books that she gave me and i used to read them repeatedly to the point where i reread the same novel (around 200-250 pages) everyday for one month -i'd finish it in one day then start it over the next day again 😅 i still remember paragraphs from this one like i remember my name! 😂-, that was when my parents noticed that i loved reading so much and what i had wasn't enough, so my dad started getting me reading material (when he could afford to), it didn't matter to him he just got me novels, magazines (teen mags/nat geo mags/travel mags...), textbooks. Basically anything that i can read. And then i discovered the amazing thing that is E-books and i started getting books myself.

My favorites are Fantasy and Paranormal. But i read a little of everything.

I usually recommend my favorites so if you haven't read any of these you should check them out (they're all available on Sbenny) 😁,
1- Throne of glass series by Sarah j. Maas
2- A court of thorns and roses by Sarah j. Maas
3- The Naturals Series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
4- Lux Series by Jennifer Armentrout
5- The hunger games by Suzanne Collins
6- FBI/US Attorney Series by Julie James
7- Penryn and the End of days series by Susan Ee
8- River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren
9- Elementa series by Brigid Kemmerer
10- Supernaturals Series by Kelly Oram
11- The mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (anything by her really 😍)
12- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
13- Also anything by Rick riordan

Last edited:

KentCave

~• Philosopher Poet •~
From the Hell
Member for 5 years
My No 1 Hobby is Reading.
I tackled Tolkien at 10 in early 80s.
:cheekydroid:
CYoA books also are (not were) my favourites.
Trigan. Storm. Arad & Maya series etc

NO genre preferences. I even read ole US. Prez hunting book series.
The Ghost & The Darkness is a real-life case. Go watch the movie and then decide if you wanna read the book. Horror!

I consume a book like a lighting flash, without speed-reading through. I enjoy it, so prolong the process.
I just submitted Ramayana series by Ashok K Banker and will proceed with the rest of his superb works.
If you own the 1st Edition of King of Ayodhya, the physical copy..then you will see my name credited therein.
What my relationship is with him..is left to your imagination.
lol
I better Stop myself, as I can write for hours.
:nerdroid:

redfox96

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Nice topic @redfox96 , I hope you get tons of feedback as our eBook section has taken off like wildfire lately.
Thanks Yoda :love:
Post automatically merged:

Well, my personal favourites that I would recommend are:-

1. Mortality by Christopher Hitchens
2. White Tiger by an Indian author
3. Who will cry when you die by Robin Sharma
4. The monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma I think you will like these books although I have many recommendations as I have read at least books equivalent to 5-10 libraries so I just suggested a few of my favourites hope you like them too
Definitely adding these books to my 'to-be-read' list. Thank you so much for the recommendations. I really appreciate it <3

redfox96

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Oooooooh this is such an exciting topic!!!

I started reading (actual novels) when i was 8 or 9 (before that i read comics and picture books but not much), and it was thanks to my aunt, we lived a few hours away from her so we didn't visit much. But i remember the first ever novel i read was given to me by her. At the beginning i had only 3 or 4 books that she gave me and i used to read them repeatedly to the point where i reread the same novel (around 200-250 pages) everyday for one month -i'd finish it in one day then start it over the next day again 😅 i still remember paragraphs from this one like i remember my name! 😂-, that was when my parents noticed that i loved reading so much and what i had wasn't enough, so my dad started getting me reading material (when he could afford to), it didn't matter to him he just got me novels, magazines (teen mags/nat geo mags/travel mags...), textbooks. Basically anything that i can read. And then i discovered the amazing thing that is E-books and i started getting books myself.

My favorites are Fantasy and Paranormal. But i read a little of everything.

I usually recommend my favorites so if you haven't read any of these you should check them out (they're all available on Sbenny) 😁,
1- Throne of glass series by Sarah j. Maas
2- A court of thorns and roses by Sarah j. Maas
3- The Naturals Series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
4- Lux Series by Jennifer Armentrout
5- The hunger games by Suzanne Collins
6- FBI/US Attorney Series by Julie James
7- Penryn and the End of days series by Susan Ee
8- River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren
9- Elementa series by Brigid Kemmerer
10- Supernaturals Series by Kelly Oram
11- The mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (anything by her really 😍)
12- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
13- Also anything by Rick riordan
LOL! It's so funny how I used to hate books back then. Every single time my friends talk about books I would literally rolled my eyes because I was sick of hearing them talk about it. I guess karma hits me and now here I am. Seeking recommendations from you guys. I started reading books when I was about 11 years old, few years late compared to you, but it's okay. Better late than never :lol: That was great though at how supportive your parents are. My parents don't like to buy me books though, but they didn't stop me when I bought it with my own savings. I guess they just didn't care as long as I'm not using their money. LMAO! Definitely will be adding those series to my library. Thank you so much :love:

My No 1 Hobby is Reading.
I tackled Tolkien at 10 in early 80s.
:cheekydroid:
CYoA books also are (not were) my favourites.
Trigan. Storm. Arad & Maya series etc

NO genre preferences. I even read ole US. Prez hunting book series.
The Ghost & The Darkness is a real-life case. Go watch the movie and then decide if you wanna read the book. Horror!

I consume a book like a lighting flash, without speed-reading through. I enjoy it, so prolong the process.
I just submitted Ramayana series by Ashok K Banker and will proceed with the rest of his superb works.
If you own the 1st Edition of King of Ayodhya, the physical copy..then you will see my name credited therein.
What my relationship is with him..is left to your imagination.
lol
I better Stop myself, as I can write for hours.
:nerdroid:
I wouldn't mind if you write for hours.
"The Ghost & The Darkness is a real-life case. Go watch the movie and then decide if you wanna read the book. Horror!"
THIS SENTENCE SCARES ME, OMG!! but, what the heck, I'm gonna give it a shot and try to watch the movie first.
I totally feel you when you said you consume a book like a lightning flash, because I do it too. Left to my imagination? *smirks
Thanks for the recommendation. ;)

Last edited:

KentCave

~• Philosopher Poet •~
From the Hell
Member for 5 years
@redfox96 I posted a sample at Nightmares Corner at Off-Topic.
That's real-life case too.
Horror that forced me to stutter just from seeing eyes turn white all over.

As for Books..romance?
I just came across a heart-aching one, but it's an anime movie.
No Game, No Life Zero. Latest Movie.
About..chess-like game.
Ignore the theme, I myself didn't bother to catch up to the anime series before or afterwards.
The anime movie is self-contained and could be savoured for what it is.
A Love Story. Unique and suits those that likes CoG games here.
(You shall see why and understood)
Zero

Khalil Gibran the Poet. Of course you are familiar with his works.
Imagine a non-moslem that could write such wonderful works that are accepted widely in the Islamic community.

Dune series. Scattered all over, references to Islam.
Mahdi.

Pullman's works. Superb.

Kim Stanley Robinson. Woah.
The Year of Rice and Salt. Mars etc

I love Brin's Uplift series too.

Orson Scott Card's Ender n Bean series (available here)

Spider Robinson.

OMG..I am in orgas#bleep# just typing this out and having nostalgia.
(Good memory are a curse to some, but hey I am glad I got blessed with one..or perhaps, that's just from reading! We practice the old ways, training our neurones..the oral traditions)
:blushdroid:
Casteanada. Mind-worms.

Wes Penre. Multitudes of interesting discussions.

There and Back again. A Hole in the ground.

Shadowrun. Rifts. Palladium. Glorantha. etc Sourcebooks.

*cutting-off my fingers to prevent more typing*
Don't worry. I regenerate.
I..wish.
:loldroid:

Last edited:

redfox96

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
@redfox96 I posted a sample at Nightmares Corner at Off-Topic.
That's real-life case too.
Horror that forced me to stutter just from seeing eyes turn white all over.

As for Books..romance?
I just came across a heart-aching one, but it's an anime movie.
No Game, No Life. Latest Movie.
About..chess-like game.
Ignore the theme, I myself didn't bother to catch up to the anime series before or afterwards.
The anime movie is self-contained and could be savour for what it is.
A Love Story. Unique and suits those that likes CoG games here.
(You shall see why and understood)

Khalil Gibran the Poet. Of course you are familiar with his works.
Imagine a non-moslem that could write such wonderful works that are accepted widely in the Islamic community.

Dune series. Scattered all over, references to Islam.
Mahdi.

Pullman's works. Superb.

Kim Stanley Robinson. Woah.
The Year of Rice and Salt. Mars etc

I love Brin's Uplift series too.

Orson Scott Card's Ender n Bean series (available here)

Spider Robinson.

OMG..I am in orgas#bleep#
:blushdroid:
NO! I CAN HANDLE FICTIONS, BUT REAL-LIFE CASE? HOLY SMOKES TT_TT

OMG, to be honest! I'm a big fan of anime/manga too. I've already download the NGNL movie, but I haven't watched it yet. Definitely going to refresh again soon since it's been years since I last watched the anime series. I might watch it tomorrow though, and it's all because of you. LOL :lol:

Thank you so much for the book recommendations, I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to reading all of those amazing works you recommended. :inlovedroid:

P/S: Me too! :lol::blushdroid:

Life Hacker

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 6 years
Actually, if you want @redfox96 then I will recommend you to use the wattpad app its a community for both readers and writers where every day a new book is posted and tons of books from all over the world is available for free there you should definitely check it out.

P.S. I have also posted my book there if you want you can read that too :D

KentCave

~• Philosopher Poet •~
From the Hell
Member for 5 years
"
We have desires yet not enough time
to actually appreciate what are already
available right at our face.

"
Eat a Book
I don't think One lifetime will be Enough to read the Masterworks already Available.
Lest..the newer titles.
But..I really wanna read China Melville's series..some day.
Alternative-History is a genre I enjoy very much.
Guess..Balance is needed.
Alternating the old works with newer titles.
Classics and Innovations.
The Power of The Muse.

Just like movies..
Interstellar is Great, but require certain background to understand most of the messages.
The Martian..I avoided thinking it might be too shallow. Yet, recently I got to watch it and..Love it!
Closed-mind is a Curse to own Growth.
<3

redfox96

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
Actually, if you want @redfox96 then I will recommend you to use the wattpad app its a community for both readers and writers where every day a new book is posted and tons of books from all over the world is available for free there you should definitely check it out.

P.S. I have also posted my book there if you want you can read that too :D
I used to read books using that app few years back, it was a trend to read Wattpad at that time. I love it, so many talented writers. Some are cliches and some are really damn good, and I also wrote a book (something I'm not proud of because it's cringy af). I miss using that app, and yeah.. what's the title of your book? I might check it soon. :cool:

"
We have desires yet not enough time
to actually appreciate what are already
available right at our face.

"
Eat a Book
I don't think One lifetime will be Enough to read the Masterworks already Available.
Lest..the newer titles.
But..I really wanna read China Melville's series..some day.
Alternative-History is a genre I enjoy very much.
Guess..Balance is needed.
Alternating the old works with newer titles.
Classics and Innovations.
The Power of The Muse.

Just like movies..
Interstellar is Great, but require certain background to understand most of the messages.
The Martian..I avoided thinking it might be too shallow. Yet, recently I got to watch it and..Love it!
Closed-mind is a Curse to own Growth.
<3
Actually, I haven't eat good books lately. To be honest, alternative-history genre books and all that deep and poetic old works took me a longer time to understand since English is not my first language, but sometimes I have to try and learn. It's okay if it took me awhile to understand rather than not trying at all :)

Last edited:

Malayotome

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
This thread is awesome! So many good titles are listed here that my reading wishlist keeps accumulating nonstop 😋

I started reading novels when I was around 6 years old with Harry Potter (Vietnamese translation), I barely remembered the story. I read the first three volumes in secrecy during my naps at school. Now I can only recall the excitement of catching up with their film adaptations and spoiling my peers' fun when I was a kid lol.

Actually, when I started schooling, I became interested in many forms of literature except for novels... partially due to the neck pain I had to suffer from having bent to read the thick books of HP inside my blanket.

Poems, short stories, dramas all fascinated me, but I had been really fearful of reading full-length novels until I was 13 years old. Probably only then did I find the first novel that I could wholly enjoy on my own, not out of school requirements, parental or peer pressure. It was Dumb Luck, a Vietnamese satire novel set in the late colonial period.

By the way, any literature that I read prior to high school was in my native language, Vietnamese. I only started reading in English in recent years.

Hence, classic novels that have become terribly trite for the native still remain as my favourite titles. Besides, I'm very omnivorous when it comes to books. There will always be a time when I can appreciate the most bizarre topics that I usually think I won't like. Actually I tried BDSM and even more notorious themes. For me, certain pieces were indeed enjoyable in some occasions. I'm pretty fickle and adventurous that way.

Now please let me name the classic titles I still hold dear to my heart first and foremost even though most of you must have read them.

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, my intro to romance
2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, intro to sci-fi
3. Every short story by Edgar Allan Poe, William Faulkner and Flannery O'Connor - my favourite gothic styles (and current bias)
4. Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
5. 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
6. Everything by Oscar Wilde - my Victorian crush with his witty satirical hollow artistry
7. Short stories by O. Henry - my favourite plot twists
8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - my inspiration to painstakingly observe human psyche in social interactions
9. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - adventures for my childish self
10. No Longer Human by Dazai Osamu (translated by Donald Keene)

These days, I like Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, more gothic style on psychology :). Probably, I'll read her other novels too, or revisit more Flannery's short stories.

Surprisingly (or not?), when I don't want to use my brain, I read commercial romance novels published by Harlequin. They are more repetitive than most chic lit, but some developed the romance well. Moreover, such repetition satisfied my thirst for particular tropes.

I also read lots of Chinese martial arts, magical fantasy and romance web novels translated into either English or Vietnamese. I simply chose stories by tropes and writing style according to my mood, but most of my interests are too niched to recommend for anyone else. Unless you like soul/body transmigration into multiple worlds with lethal missions, you probably won't bother with what I read to chill out.

Occasionally, I still read josei manga/manhwa, and some famous young adult titles, but I can't say they left any deep impression.

redfox96

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
@Malayotome
It's amazing how responsive people are with this thread, and I'm glad you enjoyed it too. We share each other fav books and that's great! 💞

I wasn't passionate as you with reading when I was a kid 😉 I kind of hate it alot to be honest. I like teasing my friends for being a bookworm and got kind of annoyed how they keep talking about books without me knowing what the heck they're talking about. I tried fitting in and I guess karma hits me hard and now I'm in love with books. No words can describe how happy I am if I were to be dropped somewhere and it would be a bookstore or either a book fair! It's the best feeling ever to get lost in my own world after looking at all of those books. The rush is unreal!! My friends get kinda sulky when I ditched them for a book fair 😅🤷🏻‍♀️ Book smells good too, so yeah 🤣 Thank you so much for those book recommendations. I really appreciate it! Will be adding to my list soon. 😍

My sister is a huge fan of Harlequin type of a book, she just can't stop! But she has a soft spot for historical/western romance book, well she's basically a sucker for it. I wonder why 😂

To be honest, I love reading manga. Any genre is fine for me except for harems. God no. If you haven't read webtoons on the LINE WebToon app, you might as well try if you want to. It's free and if you're up for a fun read then go ahead 😉 The amazing works from those talented artists need so much recognition, they are so underrated. 💞 If you're up for it, I might as well give you a suggestion soon. 😁

Hieronymus

Reichsfürst
eBook Releaser
Member for 6 years
I only discovered my love of reading during my senior year in high school. I'm a big history buff so I guess my favorite genre is the one that deals with history (The Gilded Wave, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire etc). I read almost all of Harry Turtledove's works. My favorite is the Agent of Byzantium which has intrigue, adventure, and romance and its alternate history! 😂 I'm also a big reader of the romance genre in the past. I don't really have a recommendation in this genre since I just used to borrow romance novel from my friends. So I dont really remember the titles that well.

redfox96

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 6 years
@Hieronymus
It's never too late to be in love with books :headbang: That sounds amazing, I might as well soon search for a book with romance and history in it. I just got busy recently and didn't have the time to read as much as I used to, but will definitely be adding Agent of Byzantium in my list :love: Romance genre is my favorite to be honest. Lol, I'm such a hopeless romantic. It's okay, the recommendations doesn't have to be romance. Any will do ;) Talking about romance books reminds me of how obsessed I am with Sweet Valley series when I was a teenager.