Writer's Notebook

A place for members to share their own original writing.

Quick Overview

Category
Books
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Sneak peek of one of my Stories.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
After talking about it a bit with @johnhern and @juneberrychan , I wanted to share a little sample of my writing as well.

Here is a little prologue chapter to a series of stories I've written called "The Division". The series follows several agents who work for an underground organization called "The Division" that is responsible for helping good supernatural creatures find their way in the human world in secret as well as detaining and potentially eliminating supernaural threats to our world. A bit of warning, it's still a bit rough as I havent really touched this specific story in years. The part below is a little snippet of the first chapter of the first book from the point of view of Agent Austin Orre, a blind team leader and field agent :

As I rolled over I could tell there was something wrong with her. I knew she was still there, I could smell her shampoo… strawberries. I love my Rosalie, I really do, but she is never this quiet in the morning. I reached out to my left. Rosalie was just laying there, quiet.

I didn’t have to see anything to know she was facing the other way. Slowly I snaked my arms around her, I used my fingertips to trace the fresh cuts on her stomach as I kissed her neck.

“Good morning sunshine,” I whispered into her ear.

“Ouch,” she exclaimed shying away from my touch slightly.

“Sorry,” I responded. “If you aren’t going to see a doctor I wish you would at least let me fix you up honey, I may be blind, but I’m a damn good medic,” I added with a chuckle.

“I know,” she said rolling over and pecking me on the lips. “By the way, I’m rolling my eyes at you.”

I didn’t have to see to know she was at least smiling by now.

“What time is it?” I asked. I felt her lean over me to look at the clock. I never understood why we put the alarm clock on my side… the blind man’s side.

“s**t! We’re late again!” Rosalie said with a laugh as she jumped out of bed.

“Rose, watch out for the chair!”

No sooner had the words escaped my lips, had I heard a thud as she fell to the floor. Every single morning that woman hits that same damn chair. I need to just get rid of it. You would think she was the blind one.

I reached along my nightstand looking for my watch but it was nowhere to be found. Instead, I reached further to my left and grabbed my cane.

“I’m okay!” she yelled as she rushed to the bathroom.

“I swear that woman is going to be the death of me,” I mumbled.

As my cane swayed side to side I listened for the resounding taps and vibrations of its contact with the surrounding furniture. I reached out my hand to help guide my way. Truth be told I didn’t really need the cane here in the room, really the only time I needed it inside the house was when I was going up or down the steps to the garage, but right now I was so tired, I would rather avoid any foolish mistakes.

As I felt and tapped my way across the room, my cane hit some thing hard, the dresser. Three more steps ahead would be the chair beside it, jutting out a little farther than the dresser. Both this chair and matching one that seemed to slip Rosalie’s mind each and every morning were “wedding” presents from Rosalie’s parents.
To uphold our “cover” we were told to get married. In all honesty, I never thought about how we will get married for real, when it’s time.

I continued forward swinging my cane and dodging the chair. I reached out a hand to help guide myself and felt for the door frame of the walk-in closet. Rosalie had removed the door so it would no longer be a problem. As I found the frame I guided myself within it. I folded up my cane and placed it on the hook just inside the door.

I felt across the top shelf for an undershirt. I removed my shirt and pulled on the undershirt. I heard Rosalie reenter the bedroom as I reached up and pulled down a pair of pants. I slid one leg on and then the other and hoisted them up. After a few seconds of fiddling with the button I got it fastened and pulled up the zipper. I pulled a belt off a small rack to my right and slid it on feeling for each loop careful not to miss one.

“Where the hell is my watch? My wrist feels naked without it,” I mumbled sarcastically.

“It’s a good thing there is a dress code,” I could hear her say. She sounded like she was sitting on the bed, probably putting her skirt on.

“Do I look that bad?” I asked as I turned to the hanging portion of the closet and sorted through the hangers, feeling for the braille labels.

In seconds she was next to me grabbing a blouse out of the closet. “Bad is the key word in that sentence. And it has nothing to do with your appearance,” she said kissing me on the cheek.

I smiled and walked back out to the bed carrying one of the hangers which had a shirt, and tie on it. I slid on the shirt and buttoned it. Then I flipped up the collar and slid the tie around my neck. Rosalie always had the ties tied and ready on the hangers so all I had to do was tighten them. I couldn't help grinning as I tightened my tie and fixed my collar. I heard her next to me putting on her blouse.

I would give anything to be able to see her just one more time. I had known her before my accident, but we had not begun deep cover together at that point. But ,In all honesty, I think I fell for her before this whole deep cover ordeal. I fell for her the moment she came to see me in the hospital after my accident. Everyone else was scared to come see me but not Rosalie. She still saw me as a person, not some feeble thing to look after.

I tucked in my shirt and calmly rolled up my sleeves. In seconds, her familiar fingers were buttoning the cuffs for me. “And before you say anything,” she said kissing me softly. “I know you can do it. I just wanted to be close to you.”

Even though her words were sweet and sincere I could also tell she was just rushing me because we were horribly late. I grabbed my cane from the rack inside the closet and we walked into the hall.

I unfolded my cane and swayed it back and forth as I walked down the stairs. I folded it back up and placed it on my belt. She led me to a chair and I sat. “Eggs or cereal Austin?” she asked as I heard her grabbing coffee mugs.

She sets the thing to start making coffee at the same time every morning. Too bad she can’t set us to wake up on time, so we’ll be up to drink it warm.

“Eggs please Hun,” I said getting up to get the eggs from the fridge along with the milk, cheese, and butter. I put them on the counter next to Rosalie and then grabbed the bread from the breadbox and began to toast it.

I heard her crack open the eggs into a bowl as she beat them. I hit play on the iPod in the corner of the kitchen counter and the beautiful sound of So Cold by Static-X started playing. We both started singing along.

“Oh by the way Hun, your watch is at your 11 o’clock,” she said. I reached out and grabbed my watch as I heard the eggs hit the pan and sizzle.

“Thanks, I have been looking for this all morning,” I said spinning around to face her. However, the sound of her heels told me she was already on the other side of the kitchen.

Then the toast popped and I jumped so high I hit my head on the bottom of the cabinet. “Ouch!” I exclaimed holding my head.

I heard her snickering as she fought to hold back a laugh. She flipped the eggs and I heard her heels getting closer. “I’m fine, it’s just a little bump,” I said. “May I have the butter? Toast is ready.”

“Sure,” she said passing me the butter with a giggle. “Just a sec, the eggs are ready too,” she said turning off the stove and sprinkling the cheese on top. Letting the heat of the eggs melt it. She put them on the plates and handed them to me.

She threw the pan and the spatula and the pan into the sink. I then heard her putting the eggs, cheese, and milk back into the fridge.

“Milk or orange juice Honey?” she asked.

“Orange juice please,” I said as she I heard her pull the carton from the fridge and I brought the plates of buttered toast and eggs to the table. I then returned to the counter and put the butter away. I heard her pour the juice as I grabbed the silver wear and I knew a day that started off this well had to be a long day.

As we ate we talked about different things; about the possibility of getting a cat, about having her parents come visit, about having a family game night, about having our nieces on my side come stay for a weekend to go to the water park… normal things.

Before long we were throwing our dishes into the sink.

I grabbed our phones off of the credenza along with her purse and her car keys. “I think its best if you drive Madam,” I said with a wink.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Fifteen Minutes Later ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As Rosalie lead me into the building we were greeted with the normal “Hello Austin's” and “Good Morning Rosalie’s” we had become accustomed to over the years. I counted my normal sixteen steps from the front door to the security booth.

“Good Morning Agents Lennox and Orre,” said Justin Pierce, the Chief of Security.

“Good Morning Justin,” Rosalie chimed. “How are Leslie and the children?” she asked as we swiped our clearance cards.

“Quite well thank you, have a nice day you two!” he called after us as we walked down the hall to the elevators.

“Before I forget, Donna and Christie from down the road want us to join them for a barbecue next Saturday,” Rosalie said as we entered the elevator.

I reached out and hit the button with the Braille number four on it. “You should just be getting back from your mom’s about that time darling,” I said smiling. “We should definitely make an appearance. I will prepare my devilled eggs for the occasion,” I added as we stepped out of the elevator.

This is Division Four.

You see, Rosalie and I may seem like an average couple, but we aren’t average at all. In fact, we are as far from normal as possible.

Division Four is a small sector in a large agency dedicated to protecting innocents against supernatural beings of all kinds. We are trained to detain any and all supernatural threats to the human world. There are many supernatural beings out there who strive to harm those who are human. It is our job to keep the dangerous creatures locked up and cared for as well as any supernatural items.

However, I do not mean to say that all creatures that are inhuman are evil because that is surely not the case. In fact, we even have a few agents who aren’t exactly human if you catch my drift. All other creatures who hang in the balance, the ones who have no control over their powers, are kept in special facilities and cared for by us. We even help creatures reassimilate themselves into the human population and remain unseen once deemed safe.

The outside world is completely blind to what we do. And yes, I take great satisfaction in being able to call someone else blind.

The only thing that holds more importance than our actual work is our ability to protect our true identities. In the outside world, Rosalie and I keep up cover together. It helps to have someone to compartmentalize with and I couldn’t have chosen anyone better myself. For seven years, Rosalie and I have lived together and built a life. We have even grown to have real feelings for each other. And that is more than I could ever have asked for.

One year from today, my superior is to step down as head of the Agency and I have been asked to take his place with Rosalie at my side. Between then and now, we only have to continue to prove ourselves and do the right thing.

As far as the outside world is concerned Rosalie is a decorated police detective in charge of her own task force, and I am the head Curator for the Iglehart Museum. To everyone else we seem normal as can be… well, normal as a blind curator and a lead detective can be. And that is exactly how we like it.

I would love to know what you guys think! If I can get the full story cleaned up and edited I might even share it as an ebook release.

That you for taking the time to read this post!

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
I would love to do that one day, to eventually have a game like Episode or Choices. Right now I just don't have the time to put into getting it going. (Not to mention I'm terrible with artwork lol). After I finish getting it edited I think I'm going to post it for sale on my website and kindle, but eventually I would like to turn them into apps. So far this one series has 23 books I've finished all handwritten, I'm just working on typing them up now. I'm also working on another one that has nothing to do with this series.

Phytoplankton

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 6 years
I would love to do that one day, to eventually have a game like Episode or Choices. Right now I just don't have the time to put into getting it going. (Not to mention I'm terrible with artwork lol). After I finish getting it edited I think I'm going to post it for sale on my website and kindle, but eventually I would like to turn them into apps. So far this one series has 23 books I've finished all handwritten, I'm just working on typing them up now. I'm also working on another one that has nothing to do with this series.
Dont worry about art!

very awesome @amodernmyth would love to help you if she is free! ping her

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
@CordeliaCross This is awesome. Its nice to see not only more stories and writing, but also people with ideas to publish in different media and people to help each other.

You are like light years ahead of me as you have actually finished the bulk of your series.
I write in parts..e.g. a thought, an idea, rapidly write, then put it down and never come back. lol.
Rinse and repeat.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
@johnhern Thank you. Most of my stuff starts off as little passing thoughts. For instance, the original ideas for this story were scribbled on a restaurant napkin. I completely understand that it comes that way for you :). Honestly though, it's a lot easier to build off of an idea once you have a little snippet to use as a stepping stone. Everybody always teases me because I have this huge whiteboard that takes up the greater part of a wall and I organize story ideas on there and have it covered in sticky notes with little ideas so I can rearrange them.

Deleted Account

Deleted Account
Member for 5 years
Really good work! On purpose or not, one really sees the story play out from Austin's eyes..meaning that descriptions are simple and to the point. Coming from a style that is the complete opposite, Kafka for instance, that bombards me as a reader with many visual details and things to compare them to, it's kind of strange to live the story through touch and steps...it creates a sense of "unknown" in every line (which could very easily evolve into "dread" among other things). Kinda interested in how you would pull that off! hope you keep this one going :)

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
I actually wrote a whole series around these characters. There are five main characters, and with each chapter, the perspective shifts to another character. :) All together I have 26 books handwritten, but only a bit of it typed. I am working on it though XD.

Deleted Account

Deleted Account
Member for 5 years
I actually wrote a whole series around these characters. There are five main characters, and with each chapter, the perspective shifts to another character. :) All together I have 26 books handwritten, but only a bit of it typed. I am working on it though XD.
There's a book called "I Kill" by Giorgio Faletti. There's one main character, so to speak, but there are fragments from secondary characters. Overall, the book is QUITE GOOD. There's a lot of pop culture in it, for better or worse. Anyway, what's important is that despite the different perspectives, it's nothing more than an illusion. All the characters sound and act the same way even when you get into their head and when there's a piece in which they not, it's arbitrary and bit soulless! Perhaps you would like to read it just to see what i'm talking about :) as i said, the book IS quite good! it's just that THAT aspect is pretty much a tutorial on what shouldn't be done when taking different perspectives into account xD

Already looking forward to your work! :) <3

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
There's a book called "I Kill" by Giorgio Faletti. There's one main character, so to speak, but there are fragments from secondary characters. Overall, the book is QUITE GOOD. There's a lot of pop culture in it, for better or worse. Anyway, what's important is that despite the different perspectives, it's nothing more than an illusion. All the characters sound and act the same way even when you get into their head and when there's a piece in which they not, it's arbitrary and bit soulless! Perhaps you would like to read it just to see what i'm talking about :) as i said, the book IS quite good! it's just that THAT aspect is pretty much a tutorial on what shouldn't be done when taking different perspectives into account :lol:

Already looking forward to your work! :)<3
Thank you! I'll check it out!

Azura Shadow

þª®†—‡¹M³—Ãñg³¦
Member for 5 years
Very intrigued by this piece and the fact that you mention it is supernatural has me all excited just waiting to read the rest 🤗
Every one has a unique style of writing and I like that your way is clean cut and easy without too many details .

Raven4u

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
Aye wouldn't worry about the art seems there's many around here to help you😉 I can't drawn stick figures but my daughter draws💖 where all my profile pictures come from she been working on humans for six months now 20180905_132548.jpg JPEG_20190126_230737.jpg Painnt_181217021003.jpg , as with everything you get better with age. Still sweet story😉 thanks can't wait for more

Attachments