💬 Review A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) by YogirlMia

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,030 happy users since 2014.
Register

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

After staying for a time inside a mental institution, two sisters return to their father and stepmother's house. As they try to continue on with their lives, they start to face disturbing events that are all connected to the family's past.

Review:
One day I was extremely bored, my friend/neighbor suggested that we should watch some horror movies to fight the boredom. I let her pick the movie and she presented me this DVD, the title says "A Tale of Two Sisters". At that time I wasn't into watching Korean films yet, don't hate me, so I was skeptical about it. But as the movie progressed, not only did it get me enthralled, I was awestruck at the movie's quality. And also jump scares, many of them.

They start off the movie with a psychiatrist washing his hands as a door opens and closes and one of the sisters, Su-mi, comes in with a nurse guiding her. She was sat in front of the psychiatrist for an interview. He asks her about herself, to get her to talk to him but he was unsuccessful. Then he shows her a picture, to try to get some kind of reaction from her, but once again he fails, as she maintains her silence. Then he proceeds to ask her about one specific day, what happened that day? He coaxes her to tell him about it. Su-mi raises her head, and here we jump to the next scene—Su-mi arriving home with her sister, Su-yeon. We see the sisters hold hands as they run away laughing, heading to a lake where they sat down on the dock's edge. When they came back home they were spotted and stopped by their stepmother, Eun-joo, but Su-mi led Su-yeon's away and up the stairs, shutting down Eun-joo's attempts to make conversation.

As the movie goes on we will witness the strange things that start to plague the house. Su-yeon is trying to sleep one night, but she hears something outside her unlocked room, her door slowly swings open...and somebody's fingers slowly creeps in from behind the door. Scared, Su-yeon rolled over to her other side and covered herself up with her blanket, but something pulls it the off of her. Then a loud sound is heard, like hitting the wall or something wooden. I got a big jump scare from this, really hard. Like even though you're already anticipating that something scary is surely going to happen, it's just so sudden that you'll still get jump scared despite thinking yourself prepared. After that we will see Su-yeon deciding to brave it as she runs to her sister's room.

Things just continue to go south from that point on, and I found myself trying, keyword "try", to anticipate what's going to happen next. And when I say things going south, I don't just mean the scares, while this movie is definitely a horror one, it's also a grief-stricken, heart-wrenching one. There's a scene where I wanted to backhand Eun-joo myself, because she's a really mean lady, she's abusive and manipulative. And the feels when I saw how dearly Su-mi loves her sister. That's why I cried later on when I found out the truth. I meant what I said about heart wrenching, you should prepare yourself for when you get to the point I'm talking about. Nothing about this movie is bad.

This movie is a gem! I would bravely say that most Hollywood horror movies have got nothing on this masterpiece. Great casting, great acting, especially in one scene where they had guests over. The sound effects, man, those played a big part too. Especially the scare parts. They gave the scenes the right atmosphere: eerie, creepy, will give you a bit of anxiety. Like your skin will itch because they really build up the anticipation before delivering. All I can say is, A Tale of Two Sisters is one of the best horror films I've ever seen.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes totally, one hundred percent! This is one of the classic horror films where you'll find it very difficult to watch alone at night. And the plot twist...

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
I have the sensation this movie it's like the one where Emily Browning and the actress that was the house seller in 50 shades of grey did, right?

I don't remember the name, but reading the review or remind me of that movie about two sisters, maybe that one it's the remake of this one 🤔. I'm speculating because i haven't research xD.

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
Also, i realize Koreans are so restrained when it comes to series but are bold in their movies, you'll see stuff in movies you'll never see in series, not even 16 years plus one's.

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
I have the sensation this movie it's like the one where Emily Browning and the actress that was the house seller in 50 shades of grey did, right?

I don't remember the name, but reading the review or remind me of that movie about two sisters, maybe that one it's the remake of this one 🤔. I'm speculating because i haven't research xD.
I searched for it 😂 and it's called "The Uninvited". Ooh shame on me, I haven't seen that film yet! But based on the summary I've read, it's quite different. You should watch A Tale of Two sisters! I guarantee you'll like it 😉.

Yeeees you got that right! That's why I'm into Korean movies more than their series. They don't hold back about the gruesomeness!

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
I searched for it 😂 and it's called "The Uninvited". Ooh shame on me, I haven't seen that film yet! But based on the summary I've read, it's quite different. You should watch A Tale of Two sisters! I guarantee you'll like it 😉.

Yeeees you got that right! That's why I'm into Korean movies more than their series. They don't hold back about the gruesomeness!
Oh my god yes, specially with series. I tried to watch "It's ok not to be ok" and couldn't stand it at episode 4, and it was sad because it was a promising plot.

Although the movies, they don't hold back and love that for them and people like us who love it, hahaha.

I'll definitely watch it! I need order with things i have to see but I'll see it! I like that uninvited movie but if it's different i believe that'll be promising. Thank you for your review!

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Oh my god yes, specially with series. I tried to watch "It's ok not to be ok" and couldn't stand it at episode 4, and it was sad because it was a promising plot.

Although the movies, they don't hold back and love that for them and people like us who love it, hahaha.

I'll definitely watch it! I need order with things i have to see but I'll see it! I like that uninvited movie but if it's different i believe that'll be promising. Thank you for your review!
I haven't seen "It's ok not to be ok" too but it's the one with Kim Soohyun right? But aw that's sad that they wasted the plot. Do you recommend that I watch it? 🤔

Oh totally, bring it on with the gore 😂 I prefer movies that are not afraid to be gory.

You'll like it hun 😊 I also need to watch "The Uninvited" because the summary is interesting.

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
I haven't seen "It's ok not to be ok" too but it's the one with Kim Soohyun right? But aw that's sad that they wasted the plot. Do you recommend that I watch it? 🤔

Oh totally, bring it on with the gore 😂 I prefer movies that are not afraid to be gory.

You'll like it hun 😊 I also need to watch "The Uninvited" because the summary is interesting.
Yes! He was one of the reasons why I started watching it, he's so pretty 😍, aside from the interested plot too lmao, i haven't seen a kdrama where they were touching the mental illness camp before.

If you like beforehand kdramas and truly enjoyed it, i think you'll like it!

It accomplish the usual Korean thropies but it's a little innovative in the regard of the portrayal of the Antisocial Personality Disorder, which it's very misunderstood and it was respectful imo, including severe autism too (the actor who played won the Baeksang for Best supporting actor). I stopped because i think Korean dramas are their own category of how they function, and are not for me lmao.

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Yeah he is pretty 😍 ooh that's good that they're doing that now, I also hate when people assume they know sh*t about what mental illness is. I like some kdramas but most of 'em bore me because the plot's flat or they're overdoing it. But I'll check it out because it sounds interesting!

Understood ofc! That's half of the reason too why I prefer their films over the drama shows 🤭(y)

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
Yeah he is pretty 😍 ooh that's good that they're doing that now, I also hate when people assume they know sh*t about what mental illness is. I like some kdramas but most of 'em bore me because the plot's flat or they're overdoing it. But I'll check it out because it sounds interesting!

Understood ofc! That's half of the reason too why I prefer their films over the drama shows 🤭(y)
What other dramas have you watched?

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
What other dramas have you watched?
Some of the few that I remember I've seen are Empress Ki, Crash landing on you, Psychopath diary, ghost doctor. I'm also planning to watch Extraordinary Attorney Woo! There are a few I just can't remember the titles oops..

What about you? 😄

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
Some of the few that I remember I've seen are Empress Ki, Crash landing on you, Psychopath diary, ghost doctor. I'm also planning to watch Extraordinary Attorney Woo! There are a few I just can't remember the titles oops..

What about you? 😄
Oh! My aunt watch the Attorney Woo, i think it's from this year, right? There was new episodes in Netflix after the initial release of the show.

Besides of the one i mentioned, i have see small snips of Mr Sunshine and Descendants of the Sun. Although now I'm remember a great zombie political series made in Medieval Korea which i don't remember the name now, but that series was the bomb thot com, great series. It was my first drama, but those type of series are rare.

I was interested on Flower of Devil because of it's antagonist it's really hot (lmao) and saw him on a Variety show multiple times. But what it's keeping me back besides of all the things I'm watching it's the fact that i have a bad experience with it's ok not to be ok 🤣🤡.

Ok but I'm seeing you like Doramas! I though you didn't like them that much.

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Yes I think Attoney Woo is this year's if I also remember correctly 🤔 I've heard a lot of praises for this one so I'm interested if they're all true.

Ooh okay I don't think I've seen that one yet.. Flower of Devil too, I haven't seen yet. The last Korean show I saw is a movie called Merciless. The main guy is cute lol..

Oh trust me I don't. Out of all the dramas I've watched (about 20 or so), I've only ever finished 7 of them. When it gets cringey or silly, I abandon them 😬

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
Yes I think Attoney Woo is this year's if I also remember correctly 🤔 I've heard a lot of praises for this one so I'm interested if they're all true.

Ooh okay I don't think I've seen that one yet.. Flower of Devil too, I haven't seen yet. The last Korean show I saw is a movie called Merciless. The main guy is cute lol..

Oh trust me I don't. Out of all the dramas I've watched (about 20 or so), I've only ever finished 7 of them. When it gets cringey or silly, I abandon them 😬
KINGDOM, it's the name of the series, outstanding. I really, really like it; it's zombies in the medieval Korean setting along political problems in the region because of the zombies invasion, it's VERY GORY and there's good tension in the political side too.

Kim Ji-hoon, he it's the antagonist of The Flower Of Devil l, he got a nomination for the Baeksang for Best Supporting Actor (TV) and hot critically acclaimed for his performance, sorry if I bring the specificity of the names now, lmao.

Oh, i understand. In the past i used to felt bad when I leave a series or a movie, nowadays i can't give a fvck anymore, lmao 😂.

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
KINGDOM, it's the name of the series, outstanding. I really, really like it; it's zombies in the medieval Korean setting along political problems in the region because of the zombies invasion, it's VERY GORY and there's good tension in the political side too.

Kim Ji-hoon, he it's the antagonist of The Flower Of Devil l, he got a nomination for the Baeksang for Best Supporting Actor (TV) and hot critically acclaimed for his performance, sorry if I bring the specificity of the names now, lmao.

Oh, i understand. In the past i used to felt bad when I leave a series or a movie, nowadays i can't give a fvck anymore, lmao 😂.
I'm gonna add Kingdom to my to-watch-list then 😊 ooh but I've seen their medieval zombie film, it's called Rampant I think. It's also kind of a political one iirc..

Googled Kim Ji-hoon and damm he is fine. Oh no worries hun you're fine! My current Korean crushes though are Woo Do Hwan and SNSD's Choi Soo Young. They're both amazing actors 😊

Same, I used to feel bad too but I've seen a lot of kdramas that had promising stories decline like the director or whoever's behind it got lazy or something, and it's just annoying at this point lol.

ANYWAY, we're not talking about A Tale of Two Sisters anymore, and I don't want us to get in trouble. I promise you'll like the movie when you get the time to watch it. Lots of jumpscares so prepare for that. What I liked the most about it though is like, the plot twist. Watch out for that too! And if you can, tell me if you do like it after watching it. It'll be interesting to know 🕵️‍♀️

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
I'm gonna add Kingdom to my to-watch-list then 😊 ooh but I've seen their medieval zombie film, it's called Rampant I think. It's also kind of a political one iirc..

Googled Kim Ji-hoon and damm he is fine. Oh no worries hun you're fine! My current Korean crushes though are Woo Do Hwan and SNSD's Choi Soo Young. They're both amazing actors 😊

Same, I used to feel bad too but I've seen a lot of kdramas that had promising stories decline like the director or whoever's behind it got lazy or something, and it's just annoying at this point lol.

ANYWAY, we're not talking about A Tale of Two Sisters anymore, and I don't want us to get in trouble. I promise you'll like the movie when you get the time to watch it. Lots of jumpscares so prepare for that. What I liked the most about it though is like, the plot twist. Watch out for that too! And if you can, tell me if you do like it after watching it. It'll be interesting to know 🕵️‍♀️
Wait, can we get in trouble just having a conversation here? Why? I think this can make more traffic to your review and get better results in the Google Search Engines, lmao.

I love Sooyung, she's my bias from SNSD. I have saw her a couple times acting because my mom ended up liking kdramas more than I do lmao. She's gorgeous 😍.

I didn't knew about the other actor, he really cute too.

Yes, when I have get our of the way stuff I'm seeing I'll watch the movie and let you know! And if you yourself in trouble for this I'm very sorry hahahaha, but it's weird finding somebody who you have likings in common.