💬 Review Alone (Don't Grow Up) (2015) by YogirlMia

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,724 happy users since 2014.
Register

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Alone (Don't Grow Up) (2015)

A group of troubled teenagers that live in a youth center find out that they were alone one day. After taking advantage of their freedom, they discover that they must avoid becoming an adult at all cost.

Review:
I watched this movie two years ago when I saw it by chance when I was looking around for good suspense movies. It looked interesting so I pressed play, and was half-expecting a badly made film since it wasn't really popular. But let me tell you, I was somewhat surprised because, while it is obvious that the movie is made with lower budget, the movie turned out to actually be half okay. I wouldn't say I extremely enjoyed it, but if I somehow got stuck in room and I have nothing to do but to watch this film, I wouldn't complain.

The movie starts with the young delinquents—who reside in St. Madeleine Youth Advice Care Centre, a youth center that's stood in Northlands—speaking in front of a camera as if they're being interviewed one by one. They talked about their family and some of them, about friendship and what they want to have someday, and one of them, did not speak at all. After the initial intro we're brought to one of the youths waking up as he heard the loud sound of a car engine revving outside the center. He investigates the sound and he sees a car going in a circle before driving away. Not long after that, the teens find out they were alone in their home and decided to take advantage of their freedom by doing whatever they felt like doing and partying.

The group ultimately ended up having to leave the youth center when they got hungry since all the staff left them with no food. On the way to the supermarket they found one of the staff's car abandoned. As one of the youths, Bastian, investigates a sound he heard coming from inside a house. Inside, he finds a little girl cradled in her mother's arms. This is where they reveal that all the adults, and seemingly only adults, fell victim to a disease that turned them into zombie-like psychopaths. I say zombie-like psychopaths because while they do look like zombies, they don't really crave for flesh or brain, they just go around killing somebody who isn't like them. This is also the part where the movie becomes intense. They escape with the help of a young boy, who leaves the group after some time. When they found a house, things tone down again... or so I thought. One of the teens managed to get the disease and unfortunately, killed one of his friends. After that the group tries their utmost best to find a way to leave the island, as they believe the disease only circulates in it. As the movie came to its end, we're brought to a flashback where the group was being interviewed.

It is disappointing that it was never really explained why the adults, or people who started thinking maturely, became mindless killers. The movie had a lot of potential if only it was more fleshed out. I found myself watching it again a couple more times after the first time, to see if I missed some details, or if they did explain where the disease came from and I just didn't understand, but nada. So even if I liked the concept of the movie, the delivery just didn't quite do it justice.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, I do recommend it. The movie overall is not that bad. And I want whoever will decide to indeed watch it to judge the movie for themselves.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐