💬 Review Bo Burnham - Inside

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,604 happy users since 2014.
Register

Thenighthowler wol

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Bo Burnham - Inside

Inside is a musical comedy by Bo Burnham released in 2021 in the platform Netflix. It is an artistic depiction of life in the present internet era where social media has become a major part of our lives.

Review:
After a five year hiatus from musical comedy, Bo has marked his return with this exceptional piece of art. This time the lockdown restrictions bringing out a new side of his creativity as he uses the entirety of his house in a plethora of visuals.

In the opening, Bo confronts himself on whether he should joke during such dire circumstances. If you have watched Bo’s previous specials you would notice how Bo uses the change from to live to recorded footage to show a much more complex storytelling. One of my favorite is in ‘White Woman’s Instagram’ where he recreates popular photos from Instagram. Although the special is not live, it succeeds in bring Bo’s onstage charisma through songs such as ‘All Eyes On me’, ‘s**t’ and my personal favorite ‘30’. In ‘30’, Bo uses three lights controlled by foot pedal and a hand light to leave you in awe. If you are a fan of acoustic, then ‘That Funny Feeling’ would be for you. In it Bo sets a campfire atmosphere in his room and sing soothing vocals with depressing lyrics.

Speaking about lyrics, let’s talk about the musical aspect. In this special, Bo has expanded his music sphere. The special has electronic music as in ‘Bezos’, workout song as in ‘Problematic’ (I know that it’s lyrics are different, I am talking from a production point of view) and many more. The most iconic song in the special without any doubt would be ‘Welcome to the Internet’. To me it is the one of the best interpretation of the internet. It is raw and unfiltered. ‘All Eyes On Me’ has an ASMR vibes to it and I really loved the climax of the song. ‘Goodbye’ was really good concluding song.

The main theme of the special is depression and dystopian view of the world. It shows how we use digital media to provide an out from the hardships of the real world. This often leads to people accepting the digital world as real and getting lost in it. Bo addresses this problem with a more personal view than the highly critical view of mainstream media. That is what I love about his shows. How he brings his personal feelings into his art and making it relatable while also pushing our comfort zones.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes. But if you are not aware of Bo then I would warn you that his comedy is highly sarcastic. Also Nudity warning.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐