Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Favorite Books

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
As the eBook section is growing, there are a lot more new faces visiting the threads and downloading books. As that part of the community is growing, I thought we could take the opportunity to get to know each other a bit better.

What kinds of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Do you have any favorite books? Are there any books you would definitely recommend?

Personally, I will read just about anything. I especially love fantasy / paranormal books, historical books, mystery books, horror books, and books based on modern retellings of old fairy tales.

Some of my favorite authors are L.J. Smith, J.K. Rowling, Marissa Meyer, Meg Cabot, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, Anne Rice, Ellen Schreiber, and way more.

Some books I would highly recommend are:

1. The Nightworld Series by L.J. Smith
2. Utopia by Sir Thomas More -> It was written way before it's time.
3. Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz
4. Cinder Series by Marissa Meyer
5. Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice

and so much more!

I hope to hear from you guys soon!

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
You stole my favorites. Lol

I read everything Dean Koontz has written. Anne Rice as well, though I am currently rereading servant of the bones.

I like almost everything but I am fond of fantasy, currently looking for the robert asprin series myth series..can only find some of them and I cant read the series in pieces.

Terry pratchet.. Of course ...
James patterson.. Yep up there..
John o'brien. .. Not known by many but writes a pretty good series.

Dan brown. Steven king. George rr martin (before it was something on tv). Terry Brooks. John Grisham.

I cant name 90% of writers I have read and like the material.

I like manga as well. Have read a ton of those... Comics...since i was a kid..

Ooh speaking of since I was a kid... Goosebumps.

Favorite books.. Yeah sure .. I can name none of those.. I have liked almost everything I have read... Even the highschool history book though the writing was dull the history itself was pretty good.

Art history books...not so much..but being forced to watch the companion PBS series made it easier. Plus I am an artist (pencil is pretty dusty now, but my daughter shows promise) so I had the interest.

All in all...between studying religion by reading everything from the bible to the necronomicon before turning to actual religious education...and reading anything I could get my hands on...i have had a pretty good experience.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
You stole my favorites. Lol

I read everything Dean Koontz has written. Anne Rice as well, though I am currently rereading servant of the bones.

I like almost everything but I am fond of fantasy, currently looking for the robert asprin series myth series..can only find some of them and I cant read the series in pieces.

Terry pratchet.. Of course ...
James patterson.. Yep up there..
John o'brien. .. Not known by many but writes a pretty good series.

Dan brown. Steven king. George rr martin (before it was something on tv). Terry Brooks. John Grisham.

I cant name 90% of writers I have read and like the material.

I like manga as well. Have read a ton of those... Comics...since i was a kid..

Ooh speaking of since I was a kid... Goosebumps.

Favorite books.. Yeah sure .. I can name none of those.. I have liked almost everything I have read... Even the highschool history book though the writing was dull the history itself was pretty good.

Art history books...not so much..but being forced to watch the companion PBS series made it easier. Plus I am an artist (pencil is pretty dusty now, but my daughter shows promise) so I had the interest.

All in all...between studying religion by reading everything from the bible to the necronomicon before turning to actual religious education...and reading anything I could get my hands on...i have had a pretty good experience.
Those are definitely some good ones. I will have to look up John O'Brien, I've never heard of him but it seems like we definitely like the same types of books. :)
I was always that weird person that liked to buy old text books from garage sales and read them, so I totally understand your love of textbooks too. I actually recently got a pretty cool one on forensic science. It's funny what you can find when you aren't looking for something specific. :D

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
I'd like to find some real old detective stories. No yard sales in my country but there is a spot that sells random books here and I grab one up every couple weeks. However, most of my reading is digital as there are very few english books here.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
I LOVE old detective stories, but I haven't read any in awhile. I'm part of this book club group on another site where we have to read these cheesy romance novels and review them (We don't pick the books). I've been reading those for awhile and haven't really gotten to read much else lately.

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
Yeesh never was a danielle steel fan so I avoided them entirely.

I miss barnes and noble and random book cafes. There was another one that was good. Started with an H. Rival of barns and noble

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
Half price books? I miss Borders, they were the best.

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
There you go borders. Dont know why I thought H

Moonblink

Resident Bookworm 🐛
Member for 6 years
Oh, you have no idea what you just did😂, expect a lot of talking on my part.

Well, usually i love reading fantasy, paranormal and detective genres. but sometimes i get moods for certain genres, like sports, romance -not the mushy type, more light romance type- and mystery.so really i read all types of books, but i read the least in non-fiction, not really my thing but a book or two once in a while.

As for my favorite authors i'll mention some that come first to mind,

Sarah j.Maas
J.k. Rowling
Rick Riordan
Victoria Aveyard
Cassandra Clare
Suzanne Collins
Veronica Roth
George Orwell
Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Jennifer Armentrout

And as for favorite books it's hard to choose really, i like so many books it'd be unfair to choose some and leave the others.😅

johnhern

Modding Since 2017
Member for 6 years
@Moonblink I like mystery as well, but its harder to find one where the twist actually kicks you in the head.. like really? I could have swore it was this all along.

Funny, but its why I like fight club, though not a mystery, the first read was nuts.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
@Moonblink I literally LOVE every single one of the authors on your list! Right now I'm re-reading the Red Queen Series. And I never mind chatting about books, Lol. I could talk about them all day every day!

KhanTipaS

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 6 years
H.P Lovecraft - The Cthulhu Mythos / Dagon / The shadow on innsmouth
Stephen King - IT / The Shining / The Outsider
J.R.R Tolkien - The Hobbit / Lotr FR / Lotr TT / Lotr RK / The Silmarillion
Bram Stoker - Dracula
Edgar Allan Poe - The fall of the house of usher
JK Rowling - Harry Potter Series
Alleister Crowley - Magick / The book of Lies
Clive Barker - Absolute Midnight / Parade of Infern

Last edited:

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
@KhanTipaS I absolutely LOVE the Harry Potter books. When I was younger I used to go to the midnight book release parties at Borders. They used to give you a discount if you came in costume, so I always went as Hermione, and I always conned my dad into going dressed as Hagrid. I think the reason that those books were so great was they inspired a culture of fans to get together and show their love of the characters and the history that was put together.

As for HP Lovecraft, I was always more of a Dunwich Horror fan. :D

And Stephen King and J.R.R. Tolkien are great too!

ellie

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 6 years
I have soo many favorites..but I'll try to keep it brief! Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand has always been one of my most favorite works of philosophical fiction, I think it's a masterpiece. On the top of my list are other classics like Fahrenhreit 451, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream(do short stories count?),War and Peace, Anna Karenina, but also equally brilliant yet lesser known works like Maxim Gorky's "Mother", Lewis Nordan's "Wolf Whistle", and "Artistotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. As for favorite writers, I looove Hemingway and Agatha Christie(who got me into detective murder mysteries when as a kid, when Sherlock Holmes failed to do so), I've got a soft spot for russians authors liks Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, and last but not least H.P. Lovecraft(let's just ignore that long rant he wrote once about how much better cats are and that dogs suck lol!)

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
@ellie I will definitely have to check out Atlas Shrugged, I just looked it up (because I've never heard of it before now) and it seems really interesting. Hemingway and Agatha Christie are some of my favorites too. I'm suppressing the urge to go and edit my list. XD

KhanTipaS

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 6 years
I forget to put
William shakespeare - Hamlet / Romeo & Juliet / Othelo

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
o_O Those are good too. I also love the Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. One of the best and most upsetting books I'd read since Shiloh or A Child called IT

Icantthinkofgoodname

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 5 years
I read all kinds of books, Tomes, Scrolls whatever you call it whether that books gather my interest or not i buy it and stock it on my room. this are kinds of book i read Horror, Thriller, Crime, Mystery, Fantasy, Romanced, Occultism, Religious, Sci-fi etc.

These are the example of books i read :
1. Selwyn Raab - The Five Families ( The rise, decline & resurgency of the America's most powerful Mafia Empire ).
2. Stephenie Meyer - Twilight, New moon, Eclipse & Breaking dawn
3. Dan Brown - Inferno, The Da vinci Code, Origins , The lost Symbols, Angels & Demons.
4. Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mist of Avalon ( Arthurian book )
5.T.H White - The Once and Future King ( Arthurian Book )
6. Jim Marrs - The Illuminati ( The society that hijacked the world )
7. Lofty Wiseman - The Sas survival Book ( Third edition ultimate )
I personally recommend this one it's my personal favorite.
JRR Tolkien - The lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Beren & Luthien, The fall of gondolin, The children of Hurin, The Two Towers, The fellowship of the ring.
8. Jacob Grimm & Wilhelm Grimm - Grimm's FairTangherlini
9. Timothy R. Tangherlini - Nordic Mythology ( Interpretations, intersections, and Institutions.)

Another one of my personal favorite.
Frank Herbert - Dune
George orwell - Nineteen Eighty Four
H.G Wells - The war of the worlds

10. H.P Lovecraft - The Call of Cthulhu, At the Mountains madness, Necronomicon, Dunwich Horror, Dagon, The other Gods, The case of charles dexter, the lurking fear,
Eldritch Tales.

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

SeraphineSanctum

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 5 years
I can't just pick, but right now I am about to start reading Geekerella and then I'll start that beauty and the beast continuation.