How To Block Ads On Android (Non - Root)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,340 happy users since 2014.
Register

Did This Help?

• Total voters

Trilly Reign

Creator Of TrillyMods
Member for 6 years
Hello Everyone!

Today I'm going to teach you how to block ads on ANY Android device. You don't need to be rooted, or have any special permissions. Just an Android device, and a hatred for ads.

Disclaimer: I do not own, or operate, any of these apps, or businesses. I am simply sharing my knowledge. I'm also only choosing one product, for each solution. This is to avoid mile long lists of different vpns, dns servers, hostnames, etc.

Solution 1 ~ Apps
My favorite ad blocking app is AdGuard. They are well known for their great service, and app.

The app itself has tons of features, including, but not limited to, malware & phishing protection, battery optimizations, app management, custom filters, and I.P. & anonymity options, on top of ad blocking.

It's a great app all around!

To activate the ad blocking features:

1) Download the app

2) Once open, follow the AdGuard tutorial

3) Install the HTTP Certificate

4) Turn it on via the switch

P. S. For those that don't want to pay for premium, you can find it modded easily by a Google Search

Solution 2 ~ DNS Servers | Only Android 9+
This is my favorite ad blocking solution, and is arguably the best one, for users who just want to block ads, and not pay for any services, don't need the extras, or don't want to mod anything.

Simply;

1) Go to Settings

2) Select Wifi & Internet

3) Select Private DNS

4) Now select "Private DNS Provider Hostname", and type in dns.adguard.com

That's it! Now your blocking ads no matter where you go, or what wifi/mobile data you use. It's also very light on your battery.

Solution 3 ~ Lucky Patcher
Lucky Patcher is an app with tons of features, and can do TONS of things for users.

1) Download the app

2) Disable Google Play Protect (Detects LP as Malware)

3) Install LP

4) Open LP

5) Open the side menu

6) Update LP & Custom Patches

7) Click on the app you'd like to remove ads from

8) Select "Menu Of Patches"

9) Select "Create Modified Apk"

10) Select "Apk Without Ads"

11) Select rebuild the app (If this doesn't work, redo steps and select remove dependencies)

And that's it! Once Lucky Ptacher is done, just install the modified APK file.

There are TONS of other options, such has VPNs, Pi-Hole, and AdAway (Root).

If you've found a better solution, let me know in the comments!!! :)

Last edited:

LoveDarkness

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Verified 18+ user
Member for 3 years
I feel like I should mention Blokada DNS app, it uses build in VPN to direct DNS quaries to any DNS server, works on Android prior to 9
In the list of DNS servers you can use Adguard's DNS server

Trilly Reign

Creator Of TrillyMods
Member for 6 years
As I said
"I'm also only choosing one product, for each solution. This is to avoid mile long lists of different vpns, dns servers, hostnames, etc."
"There are TONS of other options, such has VPNs"

Blockada is a great option! If that's what you prefer, then use that.

Thank you fir the recommendation :)

Last edited:

AnonVendetta

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 3 years
You can also use NetGuard firewall to block ads, root not needed. It's probably the best no root firewall for Android. It uses a local on-device VPN to work its' magic. I have it on my unrooted Nvidia Shield gaming tablet.

I personally prefer AFWall+, which does need root. But most of my devices are rooted.

Decca

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Having a good hosts file gets rid of quite alot of garbage and you don't need root to change it.

AnonVendetta

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 3 years
@Decca: Wrong. You definitely *DO* have to be rooted if you want to edit/replace the hosts file in the system partition. Or you can remain unrooted and do it from a custom recovery like TWRP.