I want to know if my laptop is fast enough for the future (gaming too)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,874 happy users since 2014.
Register

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
CPU:- intel core i5 9300h (4 core, 8 threads, base clock speed 2.4 GHz, turbo clock speed 4.1 GHz)
RAM:- 8 GB (hynix 2666 MHz, that's all I know)(upgradeable to 32, should I?)
GPU:- Nvidia Geforce gtx 1650 (4 GB VRAM)
Storage:- 1 tb HDD+256 GB M2.NVME(upgradeable to 512 GB M2.NVME(i.e. 1 more SSD)+2 tb HDD(i.e. slot for 1 more 2.5 inch HDD))
Things I did with it
Played GTA V at 43 FPS 1080p ultra
Played just cause 3 at 47 FPS 1080p ultra
Played NFS heat at 32 FPS 1080p ultra
Compressed a 1.74 GB episodes collection in 2 minutes using all 8 threads
........Well? I really want to know if it can handle AUTOCAD about 1 year later, and I wouldn't mind reducing the graphics in games(but not the resolution)

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
The setup is pretty good, and honestly AUTOCAD isn't as resource intensive as you might think, so I'm sure you won't have any troubles with it.

I've used ARCHICAD (a more resource intensive version of autocad) on way less performing computers years ago, so don't worry, your PC will manage to handle everything for at least 4-5 years. Just in case, you'd easily be able to upgrade your ram for around 40-50 bucks, but for the moment 8gb are enough for most things. I currently have 2x8GB RAM but I never used all 16GB of RAM simultaneously.

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
Just a last question,
this (Acer) laptop has a feature called coolboost, it is described as "increase fan speed by 10% so that your cpu and gpu works faster and cooler", does this mean it overclocks them?

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
No, it shouldn't overclock the CPU and GPU, but makes the cooling fan spin faster in order to theorically cool down the temperature in your pc and let your CPU and GPU work a bit harder as they should last a bit more before getting too hot. You might hear some louder fan noise when using it, due to this, though, and a 10% increase in the fan speed might theorically reduce its lifespan, for a minimal advantage (I think your pc will get around 2-3C cooler, not a great difference).

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
'Might' is a bit overboard, I turned the coolboost on and set the fan speed to maximum, the fans went to 6100 rpm (ohh....the noise), but the laptop held better at gaming, average FPS in just cause 3 went from 47 to 52, thanks!!

WilfredKlein

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Based on the specifications you provided, your computer should be able to handle running AutoCAD. However, depending on the complexity of your projects and the size of the files you are working with, you may experience slower performance compared to a higher-end computer.

If you plan to use AutoCAD extensively in the future, upgrading your RAM to 16 GB or more would be beneficial. This will allow you to handle larger files and improve overall performance. Additionally, upgrading your storage to a larger SSD or adding another HDD would provide more space for your files and applications.

As for gaming, if you are willing to reduce the graphics settings, your computer should be able to handle most modern games at 1080p. However, keep in mind that more demanding games may require further reductions in graphics settings to achieve playable framerates.