❓ Help Request Just a general question abt RAM

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,322,401 happy users since 2014.
Register

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
I have an older laptop with 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM, about a month ago I bought a new laptop with 8 GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, so, I want to know if I can swap them.

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
If you want the specs
Older one:- (intel core i5 7200u+Radeon r7 m445+1 tb HDD)
Newer one:-(intel core i5 9300h+gtx 1650+256 GB SSD+1 tb HDD+ 16 GB intel optane memory)

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
Sorry for posting multiple times, my phone has a weak connection so it doesn't send the post without tapping the button atleast twice

Obber

✨Random User✨
Member for 5 years
Depends on the laptop designs.. does it support a RAM Upgrade?
Does your laptop CPU supports higher speeds?
It is best to do research or open your laptop on what inside. If you want to upgrade/swap your RAM, go for it! but it be best if you research.
Putting a higher RAM will work, but the portion of that performance will be lower.

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
Well, the older laptop has 16gb ram in 2 slots, the newer one with the i5 9300h has a boost clock of 4.1 GHz and a max of 32 GB ram i.e. 2 slots

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
For some more answers, older one is a Dell Inspiron 15 5573 (the 2 GB VRAM version) and the newer one is an Acer nitro 5 an 517-51

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
Also, I want to ask if Intel optane memory boosts gaming performance (my newer one has 16 GB of it, and I want to know more abt it)

666deus

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 4 years
Hi!
You can test to change the RAM from the older to the newer. You will have the newer a little slow in frequancy but just loose a bit in perf. The amount of RAM is more interesting than a loose of 266mhz (don't forget the CAS latency, At same Frequency, the lower CAS is better, AND If your 2666mhz have more CAS than 2133Mhz, it's the same).
Optane is good, and no link with RAM.
Test and benchmark the two config !
PS : Your older is not really old......

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
I know, but the 7200u ( I think u means either undervolted or ultra power saving) in my older pc is working lot slowly lately l (I boot it to find the taskbar not responding until 5 minutes or so) so I think 16 gigs of ram is wasted on it ( it uses only 4.5 out of those) rather than my newer one.

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
And to be honest, it's my sister's older one, she bought a new one and doesn't need that extra ram so I want to cash in to that opportunity ( her laptop has a core i7 ), and I got this pc only about 1.5 months ago (my earlier was an Intel i5 2nd gen, 4 GB of ram, 256 GB HDD , and 32 mb of graphics ( and I used to play assassin's creed brotherhood on that ))

666deus

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 4 years
I know, but the 7200u ( I think u means either undervolted or ultra power saving) in my older pc is working lot slowly lately l (I boot it to find the taskbar not responding until 5 minutes or so) so I think 16 gigs of ram is wasted on it ( it uses only 4.5 out of those) rather than my newer one.
Hi !
No the voltage is the same. The frequency is not the same. This is two different point. If your Laptop 7200u is slow : This is the hard disk for sure. Check it via ctrl+alt+sup : Task manager, Peformance and Ressource monitor when you start the laptop.
The hard disk activity is at 100% for sure. The solution : SSD.

I repaired more than 200 computer, and the ram is always ok.

FoxInFlames

☢ඞSUSඞ☢
Member for 3 years
Yee, found out the disk usage stats at 100%, fixed it by disabling superfetch (found out that it's called sysmain now), it boots a bit slower but at least everything works now (actually I can't spend much so I don't want to upgrade to a sad, can you tell me any alternative to disabling sysmain or HDD?)

666deus

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 4 years
Yee, found out the disk usage stats at 100%, fixed it by disabling superfetch (found out that it's called sysmain now), it boots a bit slower but at least everything works now (actually I can't spend much so I don't want to upgrade to a sad, can you tell me any alternative to disabling sysmain or HDD?)
You can disable it if you use a ssd for windows.

Windows+R OR regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > PrefetchParameters
EnablePrefetcher & EnableSuperfetch
Test with value : 2 or 1 or 0 (0 is the best with a ssd)
0 is disable

1 is disable, but it run for software
2 is disable except boot (and perhaps for software)