💬 Review Kung Fu Dunk (2008) by YogirlMia

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,810 happy users since 2014.
Register

YogirlMia

In Love Lv4️⃣
Member for 6 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Kung Fu Dunk (2008)

Orphaned boy learns Kung Fu and discovers he also has a talent in basketball. He got a big break when he found a guy who would be his manager.

Review:
The first part brings us to some children playing street basketball and the camera pans to baby Fang Shijie (Jay Chou), left in the middle of some field. A drunkard-seeming middle-aged man wakes up and sees Shijie. The homeless man took Shijie to a Kung Fu school and the head Kung Fu master takes him in. Shijie grows up to be a competent Martial Artist. He used his skill to fight a rich guy's goons which left said rich guy humiliated so he got Shijie expelled and then Shijie meets his future manager. He got accepted into a team which dubbed him their "secret weapon". To defeat their strongest rival team, Shijie had to do the technique that killed his master.

I would say that I enjoyed the movie overall. It was very entertaining in that regard. It did have parts where the fight scenes were obviously choreographed, some fight moves were repetitive. There were a lot of cuts wherein movies where they cast actual actors who could fight, you'll notice there are less cuts and it's more believable. There are also frames where the protagonist shoots the 3 pointers had cuts, in my opinion they could have smoothed those 3-pointers scenes and focus not only on the protagonist, maybe capture the scene with a bird's-eye view. But for all of those flaws, they made up for it by the humor and the entertainment, if you don't mind some exaggeration.

The main reason why I enjoyed the movie, is because I generally am a fan of Martial Arts movies and I do Taekwondo myself, I'm an actual red belt. I think it's why I noticed right away that the fight scene in the club is choreographed. Aside from that, growing up, my parents loved to watch these type of movies. Ranging from Van Damme, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Dolph Lundgren and Brandon Lee. Although my all time favorite Martial Artist is Tony Jaa (Ong Bak, Tom Yum Goong). The guy could kick the very top of a streetlight.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you like comedy that has some absurd moments then I would recommend this movie, yes.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐