💬 Review Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly by Chickenlittl

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,011 happy users since 2014.
Register

Chickenlittl

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly

download.jpg

Link to the content on our site you're reviewing (optional): [Visual Novel/Otome] Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly

Awakening in a mysterious mansion, her first, frantic thoughts are:
'Where am I? And more importantly, WHO am I?'

Review:
ART AND MUSIC DIRECTION:
The art style is one of the most appealing aspects, the setting being in a constant surreal state. Another captivating factors is the mysterious sounding soundtrack.

VOICE ACTING: I was quite pleased with the male VAs, the portrayals being filled to the brim with emotion. But, I found myself more often than not putting Beniyuri on mute... her very soft yet shrill voice making the already quite bland character even more one-dimensional, but I'll write about that later

THE ROUTES(pretty spoiler free)

KAGIHA:

He's the older brother figure, always being the voice of reason amongst quite stubborn and immature guys. But he really gets the short end of the stick, in pretty much every aspect. I remember thinking at the end of his route: "That's it??" followed by a disgruntled eyeroll. Even though his story and character route were very tragic due to the inevitability of it all, it was necessary due to the overarching themes of Psychedelica .

HIKAGE:
Hikage is the natural leader of the group, being quite a reliable and strong character even in other routes. However, Hikage is not the person he appears to be. Since this is a spoiler free review, I won't disclose the secret he harbours. But his route is definitely less romance and more story based, seeing as it has probably the most focus on explaining the plot and main story beats.

YAMAMOTO:
Easily irritable and a lone wolf, he's the most difficult to accept his new surrounding. Beniyuri soon discovers that beneath his rough exterior, he is a very kind and sensitive individual that best understands the grief that haunts her. He's definitely the one who is most desperate to escape the mansion, for a pretty good reason, his consciousness being guilt-ridden throughout gameplay.

MONSHIRO:
This is the only route where I will have to spoil some aspects of the game, so IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED YET DON'T READ THIS ROUTE. He is the stranger who saves Beniyuri at the beginning of the game. His skill at hunting the monsters in the mansion displaying his experience and length of time spent in the world of the Psychedelica. Without a doubt he is my favorite character. I view his story to be one of the canon routes of the game, alongside the best ending and Hikage’s route due to the nature and length of it. The suspense building up to his reveal is sheer perfection, but it ends with a frankly disappointing ending. And while his good ending leaves a few too many open-ended questions, his bad ending is a real tear jerker.

KARASUBA:

He's a chronic flirt and tease, his comments always lightening the mood of the group. But his easy-going demeanor is only a mask, his biting malice being quite visible even in the early stages of his route. His story line is the most disturbing one, Karasuba hiding quite a few skeletons in his closet. His endings are all quite satisfying, even the very ominous "bad end"

And now last, but not least

BENIYURI:

She's by no means an amazing heroine, and i loathe her actions in the common route, I still quite enjoyed playing as her. I liked how Beniyuri’s ways of coping with grief and overcoming her survivor’s guilt differed from route to route, depending on the bachelor. I've always disliked how in other Otomes, no matter how different the romanceable characters are, the protagonist never molds to them, remaining a meek self-insert. Hearing her voice, pains and anguish throughout the game definitely helped to develop a stronger connection to her as a protagonist and a sense of empathy for what she has suffered and endured.

SYSTEM:
I quite enjoyed the system in Psychedelica and could understand the direction behind it. It reinforces the mystery behind the universe and the fragmented nature of Beniyuri’s memories, as you’re forced to learn them piece by piece in a non-linear order.I guess the only con I can point out regarding this flowchart system is that the side stories won’t automatically play when you’re going for a character’s route. You will need to load the flowchart and unlock the short stories to watch them separately. So to those who are fond of auto-plays, this may come out a bit bothersome, but you’ll get used to it eventually.

Would you recommend this to other users? I highly recommend playing this game, it being worthwhile not only for novice otome players, but also seasoned veterans, it quickly becoming a modern classic of the genre. In a sea of somewhat pleasing, yet lackluster games, PTBB stands out as a reference point for the future of otomes.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐