💬 Review RAW! by nomevisss

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,258 happy users since 2014.
Register

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the movie you are reviewing: RAW!

A girl in veterinary school who has been a vegetarian all her life, tries meat for the first time and yet develops an obsession with it.

Review:
I must say that I was surprised because it was a good one, since the time I have been watching French films something that I like very much is their ability to use scoops with clear surreal nuances, they can transmit messages of a cryptic nature, their (perhaps) involuntary humor that leaves you digressing in opinions of the topics they touch... They also have a touch of discomfort thanks to their usual explicit material, and RAW fulfills all the usual.

Julia Ducournau direction seemed great to me; takes long without any kind of cut that not only follows the protagonist, but you can also immerse yourself in the environment that (in my opinion) has a sense of belonging that gives it a realistic touch without losing the development of the story (the sequence from the first party, the sequence where Alexia teaches Justine how to hunt, the sequence where Justine is having indigestion after visiting the nurse).

The cinematography is great, the photography succeeds in adding a layer of immersion in the story... I always appreciated a film that I chose to have an Arthouse aesthetic. The explicitness of her scenes of violence... I think they are very well done, and the protagonist develops it in a convincing way, at the level of internal work in acting it should not be very easy (I say) to be able to evoke feelings of something considered taboo (alienated to its historical evidence and little cultures today that still practices it) and unpleasant (I take responsibility for the second adjective) of being able to express it differently through his character. Also because we are not talking about something like a crisis because a close relative died, or because of the betrayal of someone close. It is a pleasure coming from cannibalism, that results in a secure ostracism and loss of dignity ; so we have a dichotomy between looking for the line of when to do it and when to stop, it's interesting to explore it through the film, the search of ethics over something naturally abhorrent.

Although I'm not always a fan of the unplanned humor of many French films, the sequence where Justine eats Alexia's finger gave me a lot of laughter (with its balance of being disturbed, again, the leading lady's performance), and the sequence of how the same after having passed out realizes what happens. My prefered scene in all the movie, it's outstanding the absurdism implemented on it, great work.

I think the acting was also good; although instead of someone leading the cast and there was a domino effect from one great performance, all the performances were at the same level of good quality. It was thanks to the interdependence of all the actors in their role, and also because of the editing that said person in charge chose to implement add a polished layer. Nonetheless from the solid acting, the end of the film It was unexpected and ends telling the story in a satisfying way.

The script... Although it has interesting lines that help the rhythm to be dynamic, there are even lines that have a couple of layers that don't realize their impact; like for example that Adrien being according to Justine ''Muslim'', it seems right to him to eat a sandwich that contained pork, when he doesn't care and that helps her not to care about her long-lived style as a vegetarian and proceeds to eat her sandwich meat, I find that the need for EVERY SCENE to be a statement to be provocative or disturbing is exhausting; I think it's better to build to a shock scene, that almost every scene wants (or tries to) be memorable, all the time; an active bother memorable seeking scene script and movie. But in no way, the story it's not solid and well done and though thoroughly.

The very illogical reconciliation of Alexia and Justine after she ate her finger it's something i highly dislike, I think it is self-explanatory (It would have been an interesting path in the script to explore, that now feuding there would be a fluctuation of influence between who keeps more emotionally involved Adrien and the suspense of who would attack first or how he would do it).

The sequence of ORTIES- Plus putes que toutes les putes. Although the comments may fill me with negative reactions, and although it has a slight nuance that makes you understand that Justine is unleashing, in my opinion the shower scene with the boy covered in paint would have been more shocking than her licking the glass or kissing him beforehand. It would just be one more cringe scene for not being supported by the song.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐