💬 Review Samsung Galaxy S20 by Gameplaygameplay

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,305 happy users since 2014.
Register

Gameplaygameplay

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Reviewed Device: Samsung Galaxy S20

Description
The phone that I purchased is the Samsung S20 Exynos 990 version with 4,000 mAh battery. It comes in three colours which are cosmic grey, cloud blue and cloud pink. It uses Samsung's best dynamic amoled display and resolution up to 1440p (quad hd +). It has three rear camera and one main camera at the front. Also, it is 128gb and supports external memory. Unfortunately, this gen phone does not have a headphone jack and only has the usb-c as a substitute.

Performance: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Camera:     ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Quality:      ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Price:       ⭐⭐⭐

Things I like
1. Samsung Pay. One of the greatest strength for Samsung as their phones are almost useable in all machine terminals due to the technology of MST and NFC. This allows me to wireless use my phone as a payment method without worrying that I forgot to bring my wallet along. In addition, it also substitutes as my transportation card and I would just tap on it for all modes of public transport. Brings a level of convenience I never had before.

2. User Interface. Samsung's One UI has definitely improved from the TouchWiz they used to have. The system is much more consistent, seamless and smooth throughout the use of different apps. There seems to be more regular updates and security patches which is fantastic but still unlikely viable for long-term. Since I change my phone annually, longevity is not much of an issue for me. To add on, their dark mode is a beast as it integrates to all their apps and even third apps as well.

3. Control. The amount of control one has over their phone is abundant on this phone. Users can really nitpick, fine-tune and micromanage almost all aspect of their phone. This allows user to customise and personalise the phone truly to the user's preference which is what I look for in a phone. However, one might feel it is too overwhelming and complicating if they are migrating from IOS.

Things I don't like
1. Heating Issues. Unfortunately, in my region, I only have access to an exynos version and I am tied under phone contracts. Hence, I could only get the exynos version rather than snapdragon but for a more affordable price due to the contract. I found out that it heats up easily even when I am just browsing social media feeds. It does not get extremely hot but it gets quite warm after hours of usage. It is the one big flaw of this version and the inconsistency of s20 around globe is infuriating and unjust as all have to pay the same price (provided not under a contract). Hopefully, the news of AMD and Samsung partnership might turn things around for the chipset used in the next Samsung flagship phone.

2. Battery. Even though Samsung has bumped up the mAh in comparison to S10, the high refresh rate actually consumes quite a large amount battery. Hence, draining the battery fast. Some of the Samsung battery tests also prove how 120hz refresh rate eats up almost 1hr of the capable battery consumption when in 60hz. Hopefully, there is a software update or better user optimisation so to help manage the battery drainage issue.

3. Speaker. After using my phone for 2 weeks, I noticed the phone speakers on the top of the phone has slightly busted even though I did not maximise the volume to the highest. I usually have my phone volume on the half bar which makes it even confusing as to why it happened. It might not apply to all as I did not see people on the web with similar issues so take this as a pinch of salt.

Overall Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Verdict
Overall, if you are really intending to change your phone this year, the Samsung S20 definitely has the high-end spec sheet and performs as expected for their league. However, if your region supports exynos version, I would recommend you to hold off for the next-gen as the collaboration between AMD and Samsung might bring in a huge improvement to the chipset. If you have a snapdragon, go for it without a doubt.

Top Smartphone Reviews of the Month