💬 Review She's all that (1999). by nomevisss

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,874 happy users since 2014.
Register

nomevisss

Veteran Lv7️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the movie you are reviewing: She's all that (1999).

The popular jog from his school does a bet with his friend to find an unpopular girl that in 6 weeks he can make her prom queen.

Review:
I have never seeing this film, until recently. I don't know why, or even i haven't seeing this other teenager (more latter in time films) were Amanda Bynes pretended to be a boy and we see a young but not shabbily attractive Channing Tatum, a movie that was very popular back in the day i didn't saw until i found it on the internet, along with other teenager movie i have saw; but questioning why i didn't saw it on the television.

Now, these type of teenager drama/comedy movies have a bad reputation, and i can understand why; especially in these times were a big part of them are abhorrent and have very little room or space to redeem themselves, on how specifically they been making them so unpleasant and pitiful. This movie was a fun to watch, and i specifically been liking consistently teenager movies from the 90's closer to the 2000's (no more than 2005), and literally see their influence and impact on other movies, that don't even have to be from the same genre or have to look alike the plot at all. It makes me realized how much of this movies, even without a cult following, can be influential and people like me, if we don't see it or search for it, it's basically being distant or far away to know source that serve as a fuel to trend this fashion, at all.

One of my favorites coming of age movies it's Mean Girls, and even i saw some inspirations draw for the film, the pam fast shots trying to capture all type of high-concept social groups, and even character tropes (the fashion girl, the girl who happens to be fat and that it's their identity, the nerds, the jogs, the artsy nerd group, the math club nerd group, among whatever you can think of) the reveal when the character have a makeover, which i have to say Rachael Leigh Cook have such a beautiful body and face, i don't understand why they thought just using oversize clothes, big glasses and an unibrow would make her look bad, it's completely the opposite, would try to see all the good aspects from her appearance, so weird. The situation about the antagonist and the protagonist on a public space and the protagonist it's the one who suffers from social shame, among many others.

Here, we have one of the most popular in school jogs making a bet with his frenemy (equally popular in the school, and jog too) about how to make an unpopular girl from the school (without premeditory study of who that girl can be), happens to be that at the beginning of the film, the artsy girl that gave breakfast to his brother and have a beret, talking about child mexican kids labour in order his brother can get up to go to school, it's the girl we as viewers are presented before she it's opportunistically cross with our other leading character, the hot jog one.

The picture editing of the film i really liked it a lot, i don't know if it's the quality of the filming camera or it was on purpose, i really like it a lot. The same scenes were have the two jogs making their bet and then the lead actress comes, she fall and he then start to become weird about it. That's another trope i think this movie didn't put it on the map of clichés in the north american filmmaking industry, this it's more older from mexican and venezuelan novelas. The movie itself turns into this scenes of the male protagonist trying to get in the world of the girl protagonist trying to engage with her, knowing her hobbies (performance art), her job at a hamburger restaurant and how it's been difficult for her, even at being good at painting, how other people from the art group don't take her seriously.

The story from the male protagonist comes from how difficult it is for him to being honest with his dad about his future, there was a lot of universities accepting him and even the university where his dad study from (Dartmouth) and have a hard time in his life to get the pressure to continue the steps of his dad, when he doesn't want to, this it's something that reminds me a little bit the Cinderella movie from Hilary Duff and Chad Michael-Murray. Although i feel more empathy for his character than the Freddie Prinze Jr for the reason that, even if the Chad Michael character have money, he got a job of his own trying to be independent, whilst this character just lives from his dad money, i don't remember if the mother provide.

The best friend and brother from the protagonist, even when the frenemy of the lead male character told him the true about the bet and how it was a mission to get her prom queen, they were such good sports defending her and trying not anybody who wants to hurt her get close to it, even the lead character that felt bad but for a good reason he have to be away from it, he was such a good sport and great supporters from her, it's not cool what he did and even if he wanted to tell him, for being arrogant wanted to to his bet with his frenemy (also acted by Paul Walker, it was so weird saw him from a movie who wasn't Fast and Furious), in the bathroom after a fight. I was happily comforted by the fact how supporter they were in the moment he tried to reach her to apologize, i don't know why somebody wants to be friend or even a frenemy with somebody that it's such an awful person like him; the paul walker frenemy of the lead actor of Freddie Prinze Jr , i'm sorry to not remember his name.

Also, something i didn't talked about this film it's that there's so much famous people, it's completely packed. There's cameos from Lil' Kim, Kieran Culkin it's the brother of Laney (i finally remember the name of the female lead protagonist) i thought to myself. ''WAIT!, it's he the one from Succession?'' yes, Usher it's here, Milo Ventimiglia too, Gabrielle Union, Matthew Lillard it's the stereotypical ******** (also, he does a great job even if his acting as a trope character), Anna Paquin, even Sarah Michelle Gellar it's here! I was so impressed about all of this people coming one right after another, i didn't expected at all.

At the end of the movie Laney doesn't get prom queen title, go back to her home and the male protagonist got him but get out of the school (which i have to say, the production design team did a great job by using all the school space to converted as a party room, even using tables and chairs from the students, great job) go back to her house and then dance the night away, with them being partner, her follow her dreams to be an artist, he choose to be an artist after he have a heartfelt conversation with Laney about how they feel trapped in their future and don't let themselves being teenagers but adults for their own pressures, instead of external pressures.

This movie felt like a cheese, ham and butter sandwich, but it was a good cheese, ham and butter sandwich. It was nice to see a little bit of the source of so much tropes and popularizing strategies to future works that even i end up consuming later in life.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you have free time and nothing better to do, yes.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐