💬 Review Stardew Valley by yuu2

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,726 happy users since 2014.
Register

yuu2

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: Stardew Valley

Stardew Valley is a daily life farming sim RPG in which you move to a small town in the country and start a farm there. You can befriend the villagers and even romance some of them, if you upgrade your house enough, whoever you choose to romance can move in! The game also has some magical aspects to it with the strange Junimo creatures and the mysterious wizard.

Review:
Before I start I want to say that I have played Stardew Valley only on PC, and have yet to purchase the mobile version. But as far as I know there are no differences between PC and mobile, aside from the fact mobile is somewhat cheaper.

Stardew Valley is a cute 2D daily life farming sim and RPG, it's on quite a few platforms (PC, Mobile, Nintendo Switch, PS4, etc) and, as far as I can tell, the gameplay does not change depending on platform.
After you finish the opening cutscene, you move into whatever farm you chose for yourself beforehand (there are several) and are greeted by the mayor and the carpenter, whom you'll be visiting often. You are guided to your house and are given your first few quests, then are free to do whatever you'd like.

The game gives you a lot of freedom as to what you do. You want to let your farm become overrun with trees and plants? Sure, go for it. You want to put an absurd amount of furnishings both inside and out? That's cool! You want to take Mayor Lewis' golden statue of himself and put it on display right in the middle of town? Hell yeah!!

What you do doesn't always have to revolve around the story. (Stardew Valley's story is more like the other side stories if anything.) You can focus on the people around you or on your farm. Sure, there's your classic corporate a**hole with his dumb supermarket but if you don't want to do that right now, you don't have to. Take your time with it, you know?

Unless you're in the mines then oh god oh no oh sweet merciful lord of-
The mines are an area which won't be accessible for the first few days, but once they are you'll learn how f*cking terrifying they are.
Maybe I'm a wimp (I am), and maybe I still haven't gotten past floor 45 even though I'm on my fourth year (I haven't), and maybe I'm just really awful at fighting (Yeah), but the mines are not a good place to stop everything and start chilling, even the rocks attack you!
Most of these are jokes (very few rocks will attack you, but that's just 'cause their crabs), don't worry, it's not that hard.

It's not hard, you have to be on your guard for things like dust bunnies, wasps (I HATE THEM), bats, and also these weird hot dog lookin' things that pop out of the dirt but once you understand how to properly fight them, it's a piece of cake.
You can find tons of rare materials to upgrade your tools down there, plus stuff to use in certain farm buildings, but while it is heavily recommended you delve into the mines, you still don't have to.

I love the game from it's soundtrack to it's characters (hi, Sebby). Some characters are pretty simple and are just vibing, whereas others have much darker struggles, it doesn't get super into it but one of the characters do struggle with alcoholism and suicide so if those trigger you, avoid his route (if you google him you can find out who). Everyone has unique schedules for their day to day lives and also different preferences for gifts. There are also a lot of events that happen monthly, in which you can gain special items or fish, or just have some fun.
I like it's slow pace, and the little magical aspects scattered around. And I love the fact that there's no end to a save unless you choose to delete it.

As for things I dislike, it can get kind of repetitive and is a little grindy, with your day to day schedule sometimes becoming just: WAKE UP, WATER CROPS, GIVE GIFT TO [CHARACTER NAME], EITHER MINE UNTIL NO ENERGY, GO TO BED AT 1PM, WASH RINSE REPEAT UNTIL EVENT OR HARVESTABLE CROPS.
But aside from that, it has a lot of replay value with different routes and different farms to try out. I wish they had done more with what would happen if you chose the "evil" side but maybe we'll get that in an update.

All and all, it's a super well made game, (which I would hope so after 10 years LMAO) the developer is still giving us new content, recently releasing a whole new area to explore, and while I know the end of new content is nigh, it doesn't change how great this game truly is.

Would you recommend this to other users? It depends on what kinds of games you like. It's brilliant, but if you don't like semi slow-paced games this might not be for you. Otherwise, yes I wholeheartedly do.
Thank you for reading!

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Blasphemy

Hardcore Lv9️⃣
Member for 2 years
For the mobile version, other than the fact that it's a tad hard to charge up your pickaxe and whatnot because your character's hitbox is all wonky and literally microscopic, the gameplay is pretty much the same.

Oh, it also has auto attack so I've never struggled with fighting
:dinodance: