💬 Review The Babadook by Rocked0o0

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,783 happy users since 2014.
Register

Rocked0o0

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 1 year
Name of the movie you are reviewing: The Babadook

Amelia struggles to discipline her ‘out of control’ 6 year-old Samuel - a son she finds difficult to love. Samuel’s dreams are plagued by a monster called ‘The Babadook’ who he believes is coming to kill them.

Review:
A few friends of mine were talking about this film and recommended it to me. I pre-ordered the movie and was eager to see it because they were acting like it was the greatest thing ever. I don't think it was the scariest horror film ever made but it did have eerie moments that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck. The film does start a little slow and as I was watching it I was thinking about how miserable these characters are. I stuck with it and things begin to make more sense. The film has a long developing exposition that sets up the emotional grind that the two main characters are going through. Many who watch this movie comment on how annoying the kid is. I think the clever thing about this movie is that you begin to "feel" what the mother goes through and instead of becoming a passive viewer of events unfolding...you essentially become more involved. The director could of demonstrated annoyances that the mother (Essie Davis) goes through but instead decides to throw the misery in the audience's faces repeatedly. You can't help but to feel the desperation of the mother and couldn't help but to think what I would do in a situation like this. Once the creature arrives, you wonder if all of this is sheer insanity but because both characters experience the Babadook, it develops into more of a mystery. The ending was puzzling at first but if you take a moment, it all becomes very clear. It is indeed a movie that contains a message but for those just seeking a thrill ride, it might be a little slow in development for you but you'll get there. I thought the acting was very well done. Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman certainly know how to evoke reactions from the audience. I hear people saying, "I can't stand that woman" and "That kid was so annoying...I just couldn't stand it". Well, reactions like are the greatest compliments for actors.

To me personally, the film leaves me with the thought that stress, conflict, and other weights of the world can manifest into things quite terrible. These issues can stack up inside of us can certainly do great damage and need to be dealt with. Although we deal with this stuff with the help of family and friends, these negative experiences will always be a part of us in some way. We all handle our problems in differently and this film seems to explore this with audiences. I enjoyed the film and it gave us some interesting lunch break conversations at work.

The Blu Ray special edition comes in a red sleeve that can open up to reveal what looks to be a page out of the Babadook book. The film looks great but I do agree with others that you will be adjusting the volume on this a lot. It can get really soft sometimes and then super loud. There are also some great extras like deleted scenes, cast and crew interviews, and Jennifer Kent's short film entitled "Monster". This short film obviously became the inspiration for the movie and it's interesting to watch. I especially enjoyed the interview with the artist who created the book for the movie as well. I enjoyed the film for it's developing thrills and the pondering message it leaves us with. I recommend this one highly.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐