💬 Review The Secret History

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,813 happy users since 2014.
Register

goblinmayo

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: The Secret History

The Secret History, Donna Tartt's debut novel, is a crime thriller about a dysfunctional group of classics students at a New England liberal arts school. Out of touch and under the influence of the bacchanalia, they kill a member of their tight-knit friend group.

Review:
The Secret History is one of my favorite books. I like to consider myself an avid and qualified reader, and no book has ever held my attention as The Secret History did.
The Secret History follows Richard Papen, an ex-Californian trying desperately to fit in with a group of pretentious, wealthy, and alluring classics students. Their college, Hampden College (based on the real life Bennington College, Tartt's alma mater), is a small, highly atmospheric school, nestled in the rural plains of Vermont.
Richard is immediately enamored with the other classics students and knows no bounds in his chase to join their ranks. The group consists of Henry, a cold and mysterious boy with a vague disability and enormous physical strength, Francis, a lanky redhead with a penchant for bizarre fashion, the Macaulay twins, Charles and Camilla, and the bane of their careful existence, Bunny.
The Secret History flips the whodunnit trope on it's head. Who dies and who kills them is given in the first sentence (one of the best in modern literature, in my opinion) and for the rest of the book, the reader is gradually left to figure out the when, why, and how. The Secret History is a stellar debut and a feat of modern writing.

Would you recommend this to other users? I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

RubyRanc

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
with one breath!