💬 Review Upside-Down Magic #1

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,252 happy users since 2014.
Register

Rainow

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 2 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Upside-Down Magic #1

North is about to go to fifth-grade and she wants to get into the best magic school, Sage Academy. But will everything work out for her?

Review:
Nory Horace is a young magic user who wants to go to Sage Academy. She's been practicing her craft ever since her magic bubbled up when she was 10.
Unfortunately, there are five magic types and her magic doesn't really neatly fit into any of them.

She's a Fluxer, which means she can turn into an animal... But a Fluxer with a twist. Her magic is upside-down. Nory can turn into a cute kitten for a couple of minutes at most, and then all bets are off. Maybe she'll grow a skunk tail, and elephant trunk, or even turn part dragon!

I initially found this book by watching the movie based on it.
The movie was nice, but the book version is even better, because it's a series, and I like the characters a lot.

When I was in middle school, I was just like Nory--wonky. I wish I'd been able to read Upside Down magic as a kid. It would have helped me learn to love and appreciate my imperfect self.

The books in this series are real page-turners, and not too long.
They are not Harry Potter rip-offs at all, which is something I was afraid of.

The main character is a female person of color, and there is a lot of diversity throughout the book and female empowerment.

I read the first two books of the series over three days. Perfect for reluctant readers, young readers and ESL students.

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, absolutely. Anyone who liked Harry Potter, who is a tween/teen/adult, a girl, someone looking for an empowering and fast-paced book should read this.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐