💬 Review [💻 Game Review] (Also Nintendo Switch) Dragon Quest Builders II

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,969 happy users since 2014.
Register

ChisledPenAndPaper

⚔️:1 ?️:1 ❤️:1
Member for 4 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: [💻 Game Review] (Also Nintendo Switch) Dragon Quest Builders II

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS™ 2 on Steam

Did you ever ask yourself if a Dragon Quest had a baby with Harvest Moon and Minecraft? Well, too bad; they made one which was a flop. So they made a second one and actually listened to the community.

Review:
Below is a rating system out of 5 ⭐. The rating system is as follows. 1⭐ is Terrible, 2⭐ is Poor But Tolerable, 3⭐ is Average or Mediocre, 4⭐ is Good or Enjoyable, while 5⭐ is Amazing. I will be rating Graphics, Sound, Storyline (If it has one), Bugs/Glitches, Challenge, Replay-ability, as well as Stream Entertaining.

-=- Graphics -=-
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ : Honestly, the graphics knocked this out of the park. The monster designs are spectacular, the character designs are Dragon Ball-esque, and the blocks do amazing things as block builders should. This game stays true to the genre but you have to ask yourself a question; if every block is as large as a person; does that mean they don't know how to make smaller blocks?

-=- Sound -=-
⭐⭐⭐⭐ : Stop, hammertime. The sound of you swinging your hammer and grunting will be the most common sound effect played during your playtime. This includes priority over sword swings, placing blocks, NPCs making sim-similar noises, etc. However, the soundtracks in the game are amazing and should not be underestimated. I rather like the desert themed bar. Actually, going to ITunes right now. They are amazing and can be played anywhere on your Island once you acquire them.

-=- Storyline -=-
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ : It starts off with you on a slave ship, talking with a skeleton man and being force fed kelp. It progresses as most RPGs should, with you at a low level and being thrust into an unknown enviroment. Learn to craft, beat people with sticks, and water blocking mechanics all in your first 10 minutes. The story actually gets immensely better once you get past the tutorial area as most do, and unlocks additional content for you to enjoy upon each completed section of the main story {Which admittedly you need to do and are forced into at a certain point.} Short of one terrible island adventure along the way, the story manages to keep you happy, destroying landscapes while building cities. Solid job here.

-=- Bugs/Glitches -=-
⭐⭐⭐ : I don't want to give a 2 for this, because most wouldn't be me and try to cover an entire area before they went into the story. I found out that you can break the game relatively easily {Both Switch & PC} by pre-building structures or trying to beat out the story. When the story leads you to an area, feel free to explore. But don't try to do everything in the area after that before you complete your current area's storyline. It breaks the "Cause & Effect" chain of in-game commands they use to set up quests. I lost a 20 hour game because of this. (Sad Panda)

-=- Challenge -=-
⭐⭐ : I can't say this game is very challenging. Combat is "swinging" your sword or letting your allies kill monsters for you. Later on it changes from an aggressive beat down into a Tower Defense (WHAT? Genre change mid-game?) that tests your abilities to deal with either constant enemies or specialized ones meant to avoid a trap type. There are also artillery, guard towers, etc. Somehow they still make it more challenging than Fallout 4 Settlement Defenses though.

-=- Replay-ability -=-
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ : Honestly, I've been through the game 4 times and love it. It's worth the money just to go through, 100% it; build up a city a specific way, and do it again. You may get bored of it, take a break, and come back; though you'll still somehow find yourself going "Oh yeah". It doesn't offer variety in combat, but it prides itself in building. With specialized room types, various cooked foodstuffs, farming, animal taming, randomized islands for exploration, and even fan-submitted builds you can copy and paste onto your home island. This game is a lovely assortment of stupid meets cute while at a funhouse.

-=- Stream Entertaining -=-
⭐⭐⭐⭐ : Honestly, this game is worth streaming. You can get your watchers to chime in and say what kinda rooms your villagers or monsters should stay in. Give a giant worm a guilded mansion while giving a king a house of straw. The worst thing you'll encounter in this game is your lack of more blocks. Building castles on stream seems to be popular.

-=- Overall Rating -=-
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (👍 5 Stars)

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, I would. This game boasts many game types, mixes them splendidly in a cartoon child's cup, and presents it to you on a platter of silver & gold lego bricks. It has "farming, building, destruction of property, destruction of ecosystems, archeological expeditions, mining, cooking, tower defenses, end of the world as we know it, & more". It is a lovely aspect of a game gone so wrong that it turned into right.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐