💬 Review A Mighty Fortress (Milo Porter Mystery Series Book 1) by S.D. Thames

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,104 happy users since 2014.
Register

treetracer

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: A Mighty Fortress (Milo Porter Mystery Series Book 1) by S.D. Thames

Iraq War veteran, serves warrants by day, coaches power lifting at night, becomes top suspect in the death of a mob boss's grandson

Review:
Description on Goodreads:

In Tampa, the only thing more crooked than the mob is the police…
Milo Porter leads a happy life in Tampa, Florida. The Iraq war veteran runs routine private investigations by day and coaches powerlifting at night. When Chad Scalzo, the grandson of a rumored mob boss, goes missing, Milo takes the seemingly easy case. After Chad turns up dead, Milo goes from investigator to suspect.

As he seeks to clear his own name, Milo finds himself at the crossroads of two crooked investigations -- one by the mob and the other by the police. With the body count climbing, Milo discovers the key to the case in the last known person to see Chad alive.

But can Milo get to her before someone else does?

REVIEW

Very good Christian mystery that doesn't read like a Christian mystery. Thrust into the middle of two crooked investigations and the murder of a mafia boss's grandson, his role as private investigator takes his day career in a whole new direction.

As a private investigator, war veteran Milo Porter spends his nights coaching powerlifting and his days serving warrants. Milo is tasked to serve Chad Scalzo, the grandson of a local mafia boss, but when Scalzo winds up dead, Milo is suspect #1. Not only does he have to avoid the police, the mafia are also keen to find him. Milo has a few friends that help him along the way: his girlfriend Val, Val's brother Rico, retired and bored Judge Pinkerton, and Bob Hunter, former Baptist preacher and Vietnam veteran and a heck of a sharp shooter. Oh, and guardian angels.

The story reads like a gritty cop drama, but with sprinkles of messages of faith thrown in. Milo's no Christian, but God is working on him. Only a handful of curse words, and no sex scenes (although it is insinuated). Minor plot holes but nothing that really detracts from the story. Lots of plot twists to you keep you guessing. My one gripe is the addition of some paranormal that doesn't really fit the story. I think that should have been left out and the author should have found other ways to handle situations. It's not an overall arc of the story, so the paranormal part seems contrived and just a bit too convenient.

Overall a very good read and a fun ride.

Genres: Christian fiction, gritty crime drama, noir, thriller, paranormal

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, if you are a fan of gritty crime thrillers, then I would recommend this book and other books by this author.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

happygirl1

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Such a good book! Got me into reading in the first place. Loved the characters and would recommend to everyone! I’m new to crime thrillers but this is by far one of my favorite books! I would give it a definite 5 star review!