This is a place for everyone who loves to read to meet and discuss books :D

Quick Overview

Category
Books
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Advice on how to digest and remember non-fiction?

MaristFernas

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
I would love to be able to find a way to digest and memorize what i read in non-fiction books but it seems to go in one way and straight out the other, its often very hard to follow along unlike fiction where I keep a sort of running movie in my mind. Audio books are a lot easier to digest for non-fiction personally but I would like to be able to read non-fiction and have the same effect.
What do you do to understand and memorize non fiction books? I've been advised to start making notes, and highlighting key quotes, are there any more tips that could help?

Laurell

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 4 years
Hmm, the best way imo would be for you to step back and analyze how you best study things. You mentioned fictions create a running movie in your mind so you could try and piece together the non-fiction stuff you read into a mini movie. If you're one for auditory learning, you could read out loud or even just comment out loud on some parts of the book. Most of the time, I remember what I think/comment/say about a certain part of the book rather what the fact itself. It helps.

treki009

Hardcore Lv9️⃣
Member for 4 years
Go to a quiet place or lock yourself up in your room and read out loud (like @Laurell said) .. that is what I always do before exam or presentation.. 😊