💬 Review Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,322,550 happy users since 2014.
Register

eyannis

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris

Jack and Grace is the epitome of the perfect couple, he's a handsome, successful lawyer, and she's the beautiful and elegant wife that keeps house for him. They're madly in love, and Jack doesn't let Grace out of his sight. Not even once. Grace is never seen without her husband, not even when she is supposedly having lunch with her friends. Jack is always there.

Is it true love, or is something else more sinister at play?

Review:
B.A. Paris is an author that is new to me, and this book garnered a 4.0 rating on Goodreads, so I decided to check it out.

The book jumps straight into action fairly quickly - there isn't much suspense actually, to what is really going behind the scenes. The motivations of the characters are set pretty early on, we know quickly what Jack and Grace stand for, and the truth of their relationship. Her characters are not complex, the antagonist is a complete monster but the motives are presented in the onset. Paris weaves the past and the present well, and the insights into the past gives depth to what is happening in the present.

I do like how Paris set up the irony of Jack's role in the society, and how he portrays himself, to what he actually is. It is brilliant, and also sadly very realistic. It could get quite triggering and difficult sometimes, as Paris does not shy away from difficult descriptions of the terrifying situations that Grace has to go through. The terror is described in detail, and sometimes uncomfortably so. The other thing that was written well will be the relationship betweeen Grace and her sister Millie, who has Down's Syndrome. Millie is a very important character in the book, for both Jack and Grace, and the contrast of her importance to them is chilling to an extent.

I wouldn't actually call this a book of psychological suspense - there isn't much suspense as the book unfolds exactly as you expected it to. But what the book succeeds in is that even though you know what is going to happen, you're still eager to chase the next page. The pace is fast, and there's no dragging out of anything.

The one thing that is unexpected for me is the ending. I won't spoil it, but it really just ties everything together for me.

Would you recommend this to other users? I would recommend this for fans of psychological thrillers. It's not perfect, but it's a pretty good read.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐