Best smartphone to get right now for gaming?

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,724 happy users since 2014.
Register

Jj721

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
Hello Everyone!

i've needed some help recently in picking a new phone that would be great to game with without being $1000 a pop. My issue is this:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 (32gb tmobile version) but to be completely honest after all the bloatware and a few things I have that take up quite a bit of space (videos, whatsapp, few games) and experiencing slowdowns on graphically intensive games and emulators, especially when space is filling up, I was wondering what phone I can purchase as an upgrade to this without breaking the bank. I like the specs of the oneplus6t and storage, but I have seen the model before (oneplus 6) go for $100-$200 less or more on ebay and gearbest (i've never shopped at gearbest so I dont know if its legit.. supposedly they were offering the oneplus 6 64gb or 128gb for less than 400. Any opinions about them?), but i've also seen the galaxy s9 being sold for around $300-$350. My question is, are the specs of the oneplus really necesarry for smartphome gaming, or is it overkill and I should just settle for the Galaxy s9 or maybe any other phones that you all might know?

At this point phones like the oneplus are being used to emulate gamecube (via dolphin) and Ps2 games as well with good clarity and running speed, but not great as far as I know. Shpuld I settle for an S9, upgrade to a onePlus, or something else entirely?

Reluctant to buy a top of the line flagship (even one as cheap comparitively as the oneplus 6t) when the chips are still snapdragon 845 regardless and newer phones on the next set of chips could easily come out next year and be more capable of emulating more demanding games as well (granted if I have legal copies of the games)

I've looked up the Pocophone F1 but after a couple of searches I find it seems to not support 4G LTE on tmobile in Florida.

I dont know much about Xiaomi but I heard they also dont support 4g Lte here in Florida.

ellie

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 6 years
Personally, I love the Pixel 2 but you might wanna look into the Xiaomi Black Shark as its main purpose is to be a gaming phone. @Frozenflame is right too, Razer phones are also a popular choice.

wenceslao

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
I'm now using a OnePlus 5 - 8GB RAM variant, and I can't complain with its gaming capacity.. They already released OnePlus 6T - 10GB RAM in Europe. I think I will buy it when it reach Asia. Try check it out, maybe that's what you need..

Latest news
11/12/18:
OnePlus has made the much-hyped 6T McLaren Edition official. The souped-up handset boasts a McLaren-themed redesign, with a carbon fibre pattern integrated into the rear-mounted glass, which OnePlus claims is the same material used in the McLaren MCL33 2018 Formula One car, and with McLaren's signature 'Papaya Orange' wrapping around the bottom edge of the handset.
OnePlus6TMclaren-600x334.jpg
Specs-wise, the handset packs a hefty 10GB RAM and OnePlus' Warp Charge 30 technology, which the firm claims will juice the phone to full in just 20 minutes. It'll ship with 256GB built-in storage.

The OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition will go on sale from 13 December for £649 in the UK

Source: OnePlus 6T specs, deals and news: McLaren edition official with 10GB RAM | TheINQUIRER

Patman1980

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
Xiaomi black shark 2 helo is going to be my next phone cheap and good

PhilReed1976

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
I have heard good things about Razer phone. It is designed specifically for mobile phone gaming. But I have never used one.
Razer Phone - Wikipedia

S9 should be fine, but I dont think the battery will last that much; do expect frequent charges.
I used to have the first Razer phone. Is a bulky and weighty device but trust me, running games at 120hz on a phone has to be seen to be believed.

The battery charges up super quick and pretty sure it was around 4000ma.

I used to love showing off at work keep playing the Dolby Atmos demo app with 3d surround sound that you literally can hear from behind you. Just a pity the speakers are dire as I learnt to my cost when trying to sell it and realised the speakers had blown.

Be warned if you want this device, the charger is actually USB c to USB c cable. Lose that or break it and it's not going to be that cheap to replace.

PhilReed1976

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Aliexpress 5 cables for 3 euros 😋
Ah the site that was selling those dodgy Soulja boy consoles direct from China lol. I wouldn't buy a morning newspaper from them as they would no doubt counterfeit it for themselves never mind electrical goods!

Patman1980

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
Bought a fitbit lookalike sportband, it actually works and battery lasts a week for 6 euros haha, didnt expect that. Sometimes they have decent stuff really depends on the seller. But i agree most cables are crappy and break fast or dont work on delivery

PhilReed1976

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
I wish I had read your post about a month ago as a friend's brother bought a Fitbit through a shop in England called Argos and it cost him £300!

Yeah sometimes you can pick up bargains from Ali Express but it's like a Lucky Dip game you get at fairgrounds - you never know what you're going to have until you opened your parcel! Could be some cheap Chinese rubbish that even fake Apple stores wouldn't stock or you might be lucky and get that Fitbit rip off with the amazing battery life!

NTFW

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Good question, I have the Pixel 2 right now and hav e had no probs -- but like other people said, Razr is nice and I've tried it but no cellular companies here offer free/contract. The screen is the best feature I think, smooth vibrant and crisp.

QueenChrysalis47

Queen of Changelings
Member for 5 years
You could get a pretty good gaming PC with $1000. Phones do not require much of any power to run games as most games are built like games from 2006 and don't graphically look the best. In my opinion, I do not like the mobile game market. There is close to no quality control and I only found like 1-2 mobile games to actually be alright and they are just re-skins of already popular games like Mortal Kombat. I think you could find more value with something so expensive for gaming for something actually meant for gaming like a PC or gaming console. I don't have an android. I use an android emulator on my PC to play/make mods on.

Also, Emulators like Dolphin run better then the consoles themselfs on PC. The reason they dont run that well on phones is because phones have way lower specs and weren't designed for such a thing.

Top Smartphone Reviews of the Month