💬 Review Between Two Ferns: The Movie

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,862 happy users since 2014.
Register

CreativeCuriosity

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Between Two Ferns: The Movie

In Between Two Ferns: The Movie, Zach Galifianakis plays a strange talk show host that interviews a series of high-profile celebrities. However, after a water pipe malfunction, he and his crew must go on tour across America to meet the interviewees.

Review:
Coming from the hit online series from Funny or Die, Between Two Ferns, is honestly a guilty pleasure. The casting and cameos; ranging from Brie Larson, Keanu Reeves, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Rudd, is amazing. The subtlety of the jokes in every interview hits hard and it truly feels like the celebrities are being broiled from the inside out. Statements like "For all the things you could win an Oscar for, how surprised are you to win one for acting?" and saying it completely straight-faced. However, I would love to say this movie is without its faults, story-wise and some times even the humour. The main conflict is the host, Zach, versus reality, as he views himself as a serious talk show host; ignorant of his own satirized personality. This leads him to be overly ambitious and asking his boss, Will Ferrell, for a serious network tv talk show. Zach himself is not the problem but the environment around him that instigates that self-absorbed behaviour, nevertheless, never learning from it. Unfortunately, that's one of the problems in this movie, as his self-absorption is forgotten at the end of the movie and is never mentioned by other characters. This could be interesting to see the conflict between the characters so I wish they could lead into that narrative a bit more. In addition, some of the humour gets stale and awkward in the middle of the movie. I felt that they really tried with some of the jokes but tried too hard or didn't wait for the joke to sink in because of the fast pacing of the story. Overall, outside of the interviews, the actual movie part feels generic and filler. But despite this, it's still a decent movie. Honesty, this movie doesn't need to have a good story as long as it has good jokes in the interviews. And I'm fine with that. Even going into this movie blind, without knowing the online series, was still entertaining and still made me laugh.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you're looking for something that's funny but forgettable, this Netflix popcorn flick is for you!

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐