💬 Review Brokeback Mountain: Are you brave enough to love?

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,304 happy users since 2014.
Register

KieraViolet

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Brokaback Mountain: Do you brave enough to love?

Celebrating the 6th anniversary of the movie Brokeback Mountain 12/2005 - 12/2011, the best masterpiece on the topic of homosexual love and for those who suddenly find themselves different.

Review:
When I first saw Brokeback Mountain when I learned it was a big-award-winning homosexual film, fast-forward the whole movie in just 30 minutes, only to find it a sad story.

Suddenly one day, when I happened to read Wikipedia about it, I seemed to be fascinated by the very story that I thought was lost, then realized, maybe I was the lost one when I "dared" to evaluate such a thing masterpiece. The lofty humanistic drama not only talks about the tragedy of a homosexual love but also behind it is the tragedy of the love affair that encounters unreasonable barriers of society. Then I watched the film, slowly, little by little, to indulge in an incomplete spiritual affair, and its aftermath, an immense sadness that invaded me, for days afterward.

A beautiful love, not an attempt:

Brokeback Mountain is the story of two Western cowboys in America - images of muscular, tough, persistent men, with turtleneck boots, boxed shirts and rivet jeans, and cannot lacking a wide-brimmed hat flanked on either side, on the backs of vast steppes and majestic hills - Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, the two shepherds hired for a summer in the Brokeback Mountains. In the wilderness of the mountain, the love between them flourishes as an indispensable for the sharing of loneliness. A beautiful love but they cannot overcome the fear of human prejudices about homosexual love and then everyone has found their own life, as men who are responsible and know the rules of life. But, fate has pulled them together again, and then until 20 years later, they still cannot overcome the social barriers, still have to suppress themselves, hide their feelings and the desire for happiness. Blessed, only be burned in the hasty meeting. Until Jack left forever, Ennis realized that his life has made many wrong choices.

The film opens with a large, Western image of the streets with red dust in the slow guitar. The opening of Gustavo Santaolalla welcomes you.

Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist were all under the age of 20, applying for the job of keeping a ranch for Joe Aguirre, a handshake and some courtesy greetings, several stories from a beer pub, and the next day up the mountain. Ennis muttered, his voice low, dripping, with the rough features of an illiterate cowboy, all the emotions only showed through his heavy, deep eyes, on the contrary, Jack, a rather dandy guy, Vibrant with seductive smirks of seduction.

Annie Proulx, author of Brokeback Mountain, once commented on the two young actors in the film: “Jack Gyllenhaal's Jack Twist is not the Jack Twist that I imagined writing. The Jack Twist that I pictured was a simple, rough, restless person but Gyllenhaal's sensitivity and subtlety in this role is outstanding. He appears on film very lively, flexible. Heath Ledger goes far beyond what I expected. He understood the story more deeply than I did. If I had a hard time figuring out Ennis' personality, Ledger would show up. He really got under the skin of the character, not just wearing a shirt but deep inside people, extremely excellent. ” (Associated Press)

Continue the story of two cowboys, they can be said is a colleague, a wine friend, a friend through sunny days, rainy days and cold spells on Brokeback Mountain. Then as they opened up more to each other, they told each other about their families, about their future plans, about Ennis's fiancée Alma. But then Ennis' time of looking after the sheep every night became shorter, he liked to sit and drink with Jack, sing silly sentences, hear the shrill sound of Jack's harmonica, and so on until late, when Unable to lift himself up to look after the flock of sheep, Ennis slept by the fire, outdoors, with a thin blanket, and with his teeth set. Jack cranky, asking Ennis to come into the tent, they lie next to each other, close, warm. Just when Jack took Ennis's hand, made a sudden move, and Ennis was surprised to not understand why, like instinct, did something he had never done.

This can be considered the first hot scene of the film, I heard it was even cut off when shown in China, by some comments that there is something a little fierce, crude scare. I was also a bit startled when I came here, even though I knew it would happen, but when I read Annie Proulx's story, I realized that director An An described extremely truthfully and vividly what she had. write, that's the talent of a master director. Besides, some people also said that the love of two cowboys started with lust is not beautiful love, perhaps to answer this question, please put yourself as them, the wild, the ferociousness of the American West is clearly portrayed in the cowboys themselves, from thought to action.

Back in the movie, when Ennis feels guilty, Jack is always the one who takes the initiative, which helps Ennis not too difficult when he accepts his story with Jack and for the next 20 years, too.

The lives of two young cowboys on Mount Brokeback were as bustling, happy as they were for each other, without knowing that Joe Aguirre had watched them through his binoculars, and realized something. It was not until after a stormy night that the sheep were mixed with another, and Aguirre said that there was going to be a storm, and that the sheep's care would be over.

The last day on Brokeback, the two had fought, wiping blood on each other's face with their shirts, only then 20 years later, Ennis realized that he had not forgotten his checkered shirt on the mountain.

The scene that best expresses the feelings for the two cowboys is the bland parting in front of Aguirre's office door, no hug, no handshake, and anyone on the street but then, it was Jack's loving gaze when he looked at Ennis through the mirror, the gagging, Ennis sobs when Jack's car was gone. In the story, when describing this paragraph, Annie Proulx wrote: “Ennis feels like someone is pulling him in the gut piece by piece, piece by piece… He feels uncomfortable never seen, and that feeling takes a long time to fade, go." And Ennis's quote after 4 years meet again: "...I cramped up my stomach, thinking I had eaten something stale. A year after I realized it, I shouldn't have lost you ...”.

The next part of the movie is mainly about the lives of two people after the breakup, Ennis married Alma and gave birth to two daughters, life is quite struggling when he always likes to be a caretaker and Jack, he is a Rodeo - who rides cows, married Lureen - the daughter of a wealthy farm owner, Jack has a son. However, they still remember each other.

Four years after the breakup, one day Ennis received a postcard from Jack, Ennis impatiently sent the card back, and then, the story of four years ago, atop Brokeback, was resumed.

The next day Jack arrived, Ennis groomed himself, walking indoors with impatience - we could observe that Ennis drank up to five bottles of beer in the meantime. When he saw Jack get out of the car, the pent up emotions of 4 years suddenly burst out. Downstairs, Ennis and Jack hurriedly embraced, squeezed, and...a kiss like lovers separated now only met again.

The most surprising of this video, it was not Jack who took the initiative, it was Ennis who hurriedly pulled Jack into his arms, and kissed Jack, as satisfied nostalgia, longing desire contained in the heart for so long.

According to the fan poll conducted by DVD Love Film, this special lip lock defeated the other sweet kisses that had been a symbol of the world silver screen like "Gone With The Wind" or "Dirty" to be considered is the most beautiful kiss on film of all time.

When I saw this scene, my heart was full of emotions, both loving, sad, and regretful for them, without any discomfort at all, I suddenly did not think that they were two men, two. cowboy - the image that represents the manly pride of the Americans, just feel one thing, that is the burning kiss for an unlimited love, the kiss of two lovers.

But things are not as we expected, Alma happened to see that irony between her husband and his best friend Jack. She had realized something fuzzy, for all the days that followed.

The film continues with scenes of Ennis and Jack walking on the meadow, in the river, in the mountains, on Brokeback's fire, Ennis lied to his wife that he goes "fishing", several times a year with Jack, but he never brought back a fish.

The two hearts are in the same rhythm in their own space, no noisy streets, no vicious people, the music in the movie is just the sound of the wind, the mountains, the murmuring of dark water. cloud. All are filled with the deep taste of the famous Western land in famous stories. Coming here, I was captivated by their love.

Back in the film, Alma did not endure for too long, the vast gap between her and Ennis seemed to grow, then they divorced. When Ennis informed Jack, Jack rushed in, but misunderstood that Ennis wanted them to officially have a life of their own, just like on Brokeback, but no, Ennis said he couldn't, he still had two girls, and they need you, but most of all, Ennis can't get past his social prejudice, can't hide his old memories, when he sees a gay being killed, and the one who does it my father again.

Seeing this paragraph, many people were annoyed with Ennis, and blamed him for being so stubborn, but after all, it was the decision that Ennis had to make in that situation, probably not wrong. When society didn't accept it, he himself had to run away from the truth, bury his dream to assume responsibility as a man, and try to fool himself with the thought “I'm not a guy ball”, as in the beginning of the movie.

I was shocked to see Jack's tears when he drove away, Jack's feelings were so strong, that he always took the initiative in everything, but the frustration of Ennis's decision, had pushed him to the Mexican border, where gossip boys were called. That is the affirmative minute, Jack "dare" is a gay but then everything was fine, the next few years were still short walks, hot hugs, debates about the future of the two.

20 years have passed, it has been 1983. Ennis and Jack are all signs of age. Their children have also grown up, but they still have to hide that sentiment, even though both know they belong together.

Until the last debate before breaking up in May, Jack said he wanted more than this, he wanted a separate life for the two of them, not just Brokeback, and Jack was ready to leave his wife, You can go to Mexico.

The video is like Ennis getting mad when Alma blurted out that she knew something, that Jack was a bastard, Ennis shed tears and said, "You don't know anything", took her hand. traces and then leaves, it seems that Ennis wants to protect Jack as well as what he is with Jack. But in this section, Ennis's anger is that, he discovered Jack has come to Mexico, and this, if speaking in ordinary language, is Ennis "jealous". Ennis roared at Jack: "I only told you this once, Jack, I'm not joking, that I don't know, if I happen to know, you'll die!" And then the sentence that expresses all of Jack's affection level: "I wish I could get rid of you!", This is a sentence that has a great meaning in the whole movie, a whole movie without a word " love ”in the true sense of the two. So, love is like that, whatever excuse to say "I love you" or "I love you" is the only love, without a word, they also understand what they have for each other.

The film has many beautiful images, and one of the images that left a deep impression on the viewers, perhaps the picture on the Brokeback mountain of the 1963s, when Ennis approached, hugged Jack from behind, Jack dreamily smiled, time passed slowly by the burning fire in front of them, the two stood like that, until Ennis said, "You sleep like a horse ... See you tomorrow!"

Annie Proulx's description gives you a better understanding: “What Jack remembers and desires is not impossible and understands is that distant summer time on Mount Brokeback, when Ennis came behind him and pulled him close, round quietly hugging, satisfying the desire to share and not ripple sex. They stood like that for a long time before the fire, the flames blazing bright pink, their shadows became one on the rocks...Later on that dreamy arm froze in his memory like the only moment of true happiness, captivated in their remote and difficult lives. Nothing nudge it ...".

I especially like this image, it is more beautiful than everything I've felt through the photos of love, maybe it's beautiful because it's so different, but it's not lost.

The end of the film is Ennis's heartache when he hears that Jack is dead, but he does not believe that it was a car accident, he was always obsessed with the gay man killed by his father when he was dead as a child, and I believe, Jack was the same. Ennis was in great pain when listening to Lureen, Jack's wife said that Jack wants his ashes scattered across Brokeback, because that is where Jack is, where he is the happiest in his life.

When Ennis came to Jack's parents' house, Jack's father seemed to know the story, he bossyly announced that he would bury Jack in the land for the family. He said that Jack always talked about Ennis del Mar, that he would bring it here to help him, build a wooden cabin, and the two of them would live together, that Jack would leave his wife, that all Jack's plans never came true reality...But we can still recognize the miserable endurance of Jack's parents through their wrinkled faces.

The image that kept me haunted for days, was when Ennis found out the blue shirt Jack had worn on the last day on Brokeback that summer, the shirt still covered with blood on his sleeve when Jack wiped his nose and blood off Ennis, and the discovery that followed, made me sad.

Excerpts from Annie Proulx's story: "...a long coat hung on nails. He lifted it off the nail. Jack's old shirt from his days at Brokeback. The dry blood on his sleeve was his blood...The shirt seemed heavy, until he saw that there was one more shirt inside, the sleeve carefully threaded into Jack's sleeve, that was his plaid shirt...Two shirts like two skin in each other, two in one...Ennis pressed his face against the cloth, and slowly inhaled through his mouth and nose, hoping to find faint smell of smoke, the smell of wormwood and the smell of salty sweat Sweet Jack..."

It can be said that in this video, Heath Ledger excellently portrays Ennis's painful mood through sagging body and indefinite gaze.

The emotion that this scene brings to the audience extends and surges strongly towards the end, after Ennis's daughter comes to invite her father to the wedding and she forgets her coat there. Ennis opened the wardrobe of his daughter, and then, he looked at the closet door, where there was a nail, hung a coat hanger, the shirt looked quite heavy, because, there was a cage inside it. , hand cage in hand. The thing is, this time, Jack's blue shirt is inside, the sleeve is threaded in the checkered sleeves of Ennis. Next to the 2 shirts, pin a card printed with pictures of Brokeback mountain.

At this point, through the swap of the position of the two shirts, it was Ennis who really wanted to protect Jack, the way Ennis adjusted the card, looked at it with tears, with sadness in his eyes, in the middle of the dark background of the house, Ennis's face suddenly got old, and with the incessant "Jack, I swear...", showed an Ennis suffering, regretting, tormenting, regretting, being bury yourself in the beautiful past.

Earlier, Ennis told her daughter when she asked him to buy more furniture: "If you have nothing, you do not need much." That's right, now with Ennis, maybe he has nothing, nothing left.

I tried to put myself in Ennis's position when he looked at the two shirts, I tried to feel that pain, strange, I also had it, filled with nostalgia and regret for a brief moment. turned into emptiness, yes, maybe this is when I began to be obsessed with immense sadness, I mentioned the word over and over again, probably also because I couldn't find a better word to replace it.

The film ends with Ennis closing the closet door, leaving only the window open, with the green of the meadows and the red of the road, as an endless loneliness, against the background of The Deep music. by Gustavo Santaolalla.

The beginning of the story. Annie described Ennis's mood as follows: “...Two shirts seem to shudder in their world…The farm is for sale once again, Ennis will have to get out of here. Maybe he will have to temporarily stay in the house of his eldest daughter who is married until he can turn things around, but he is filled with the joy of seeing Jack Twist in his dream ... ”

At the end of the story, it is still the same mood: "... Jack appears in his dream, Jack as he had originally encountered ... And sometimes he wakes up in grief, sometimes with feelings of joy and relief. old; sometimes wet pillows, sometimes wet sheets. ”

And the conclusion says it all: "Between what Ennis knows and what he tries to believe there is some huge gap, but nothing can be done, and if you cannot do anything, you have to suffer." Ennis was clearly suffering.

The film closes with a sad aftertaste, a sadness that I said, it is to the point that it makes me fall into a state of pain for days, for Jack, for Ennis, for the love they have for each other. , it's as gentle as the sun on Brokeback and also as lively as the wind on the Brokeback.

(Perhaps this is a cowboy movie that I see has the most tears for men, I don't know because director Lee wanted to emphasize that everyone, whether it is a man or a woman, has weak moments is it easy for you to cry too?)

The film is a song about human love for humans, without limitation. However, we can realize that the humanistic meaning of the film is clearly not only the incomplete love song of the two cowboys, but also the tearful story of two girls, or of a boy and a girl, stumbling on barriers of conception, religion, or race, or even illness.

After the film, I completely lost my suspicion of homosexual love, the film gave me and perhaps many others a new perspective on them, and surely all love is love.

Like other love stories, I always hope for a happy ending, I wish Jack and Ennis to be together and live happily, I also wished I had such a beautiful love, longing for a love with waiting, with the hope, the weakness and the unintended of every human being, with the strength and the wildness of the American West, such a divine love.

Behind the success of the movie:

The film has won many great awards:
Oscar 2006: Best director, best adapted screenplay, best soundtrack. Golden Globe 2006: Best film (drama), best screenplay, best theme song. Venice Film Festival 2005: Golden Lion Award. At the MTV Movie Awards, two main actors won the "Best Kiss" award, Jake Gyllenhaal was voted Best Supporting Actor.
The film is choreographed along with the film's soundtrack is guitar sound with deep, relaxed and romantic sound.

However, it failed to win the Best Picture category in 2006 Oscar, perhaps because homosexual love is a topic that is still quite hot and controversial in society, even in democratic societies like the United States. , therefore, although worthy of this award, the Oscar jury must also think of a safe solution is to choose another movie (Crash by Paul Haggis).

The film is controversial in society, not only because it is a film about homosexual love, but first of all, it is a film about the love between cowboys - America's masculine symbolic image, it is feared that the film will worsen that image, which is strange in some parts of the western United States, which still carries a heavy sense of homophobia but it can also be said that the film has opened a new perspective on the life of the Western people with many changes, many worries, and equally intense, a hidden corner of the darkness where the land is always modeled icredibly romantic description, as attractive as in any one novel.

Speaking of the film's success, it is impossible not to mention two talented young actors: Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. They have portrayed the inner success of the character with the weakness hidden in the image of a liberal and strong Western cowboy, with torment and the desire for a hidden love.
Ennis del Mar character played by young talent Heath Ledger (1979 - 2008), a tough, taciturn cowboy, all emotions are expressed through heavy deep eyes, Ledger acting special He was beaten by success for the role, unfortunately he was defeated by Philip Seymour Hoffman in the 2006 Best Actor Award.

Ledger also has a 2-year relationship with Michelle Williams, who plays Alma his wife in the film, the two have a daughter but in January 2008, film fans had to say goodbye to him when he was found dead in a Manhattan apartment due to an overdose of sleeping pills, after filming The dark night.

Jack Twist is played by Jake Gyllenhaal, a handsome and charming guy born in 1980 who succeeded with his role in the movie The Day After Tomorrow. Here is an interview with Jake Gyllenhaal:

“I was 16 at the time, and this topic scared me. Much later, Ly An sat on the director's chair and I thought immediately: oh, it must be something wonderful and very special, full of humanity like all of An's movies.
So I grabbed the script. Reading devoured. I have found the best love story I have ever read. A true and sincere story, a love story that has never been told in the world and I accepted. ” (Tien Phong)

Another person who can not fail to mention is the veteran director Ang Lee, Ang Lee, who brought Crouching Tiger Hidden Object to the world, he brought viewers the feeling of colorful life, relationships complex relationships between people, causing people to ponder and reflect on in the long run. For that, he deserves to receive the 2006 Best Director Award and here is a comment on Brokeback Mountain's film, Annie Proulx: “When I was writing a story, because I thought too much about the characters and spent too much time with them, they were so ingrained my wake. They become as real as those who truly exist, walk around me and breathe life. It took me a while to get them out of my head to continue working. Then I saw the movie (first time in September 2005), they rushed back. It was so overwhelming, like a "bang", so they were with me again. " (Associated Press)
It should also be added that Brokeback Mountain of Annie Proulx won the award of the short story O.Henry in 1998.
Interestingly enough, when the movie premiered in the US, nearly 70% of moviegoers were female

Brokeback Mountain will be the subject of controversy for many more years, until the so-called discrimination of homosexual love is completely removed.

Many people have told me this: What goes against the rules of life, it will be eliminated. But judging comprehensively, after all, the law of life is determined by man himself, so he can also break something that exists in it, so that it is against the law, become a rule, like Paul Dirac's finding antimatter in the idea that only matter exists, perhaps?

Anyway, it can be said that, although not in the 3rd world, but for me, Brokeback Mountain is a spotless film, and it's beautiful, it's wonderful, it's full of humanity like what life has dedicated to each we.

Would you recommend this to other users? Just love it, and show your love, why not be afraid of what people say or laugh, but remember, you only do that when your opponent also loves you, only.

P.S: You should read the original Brokeback Love Story

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐