Can iOS apps be ported to Android?

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,722 happy users since 2014.
Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syianne

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
There's an app which I wanted to download for a longtime but it's only available for iOS. Can such apps be ported to Android as well? I've seen computer games ported to Android and was wondering if it also works with iOS.

Reactions: Sky

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
To be honest, I am not sure, maybe one of our other modders may be able to answer this.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
Sorry I couldn't help more :/

Sky

XXX
Verified 18+ user
Member for 5 years
Hey @Syianne I've did a bit of a research on this and found it is possible but it didn't sound easy, sounded quite complicated (for me, but I'm not a modder) since there are some differences but also a few common things in both operating systems but the most important thing is the design development, since both operating systems got different design rules.

As example you can't convert iOS human interface guidelines to material design standards Android has. So a redesign either to same design or new design is needed.

And secondly the Android fragmentation is needed which is about the support of a lot of different OS versions and screen sizes which iOS solves differently and iOS developers are not big fans of it 😆.

The last part is the Coding, since most Android apps are written in Java and iOS is mostly written in Swift, Apple's own programming language which can work amongst other things with the Objective-C code language and if iOS app X is made with/amongst other things with Objective-C then it's possible to implement some code into Java.

So YES it's possible and I hope this little more depth-in article about the topic was good to read and understand.

Syianne

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
@SkyWeedy Thank you very much for answering. I really did understand what you're trying to say and I get that it's not easy. Once again, thanks for researching all this and responding to me. I really appreciate it! 😊

Reactions: Sky
Status
Not open for further replies.