💬 Review Choices of the Oregon Trail [Delight Games]

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,322,521 happy users since 2014.
Register

Eriserato

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: Choices of the Oregon Trail [Delight Games]

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 🎮 MOD APK - {Delight Games} Choices of the Oregon Trail v1.6 !! MEGA MOD !!

Oregon Trail is about a young girl’s perilous journey with her family to a hopefully new and better life in Oregon. The game is in the style of a choose-your-own-adventure book, where you pick from a few choices every so often, and your choice leads to different outcomes. These choices can raise or lower stats, lead to good outcomes further in the game, or an early death for your character.

Review:
Technical Stuff:
The game is pretty simple. You make choices and your game is saved at your current spot automatically. You can also backup your save in the menus if you’re afraid of losing your place. If you mess up or want to choose something else, you can go back one choice (but not more than one at a time) if you spend luck points. Luck points are given to you when you earn achievements in the game. Not all achievements are for doing the “correct” thing however so don’t think you have to play perfectly to earn them. Luck points are less of a problem to accumulate a lot of if you use the modded version of the game available here on sbenny. At any time you can restart the game or go back to the beginning of a checkpoint. However, Choices of the Oregon Trail doesn’t have any checkpoints from what I saw (I tried to use this feature several times but it always said I hadn’t reached any checkpoints). That’s one thing I would take off points for, some checkpoints would have been nice. But you can always start over from a particular chapter (again, using the apps currency so I’m not sure how easy this is to do with an unmodded version) and not the very beginning, so it wasn’t too bad if you really wanted to redo several choices.

The Player Character:
You play as Beth, a young girl who is far more rambunctious and independent than other girls her age. Beth doesn’t dream of marriage and isn’t content to submit and agree with everything the man-of-the-house says, without getting to have any input of her own, which leads to others thinking she’s a wild and loose girl. I liked Beth. She’s young so she doesn’t know everything and makes mistakes but she learns, and you can play her as someone who knows when to forgive and when to stand up for herself. These games aren’t as customizable as Choice of Games/Hosted Games, so you can’t choose your name/race/sexuality/gender etc, but I enjoyed playing as Beth well enough.

The Choices and Romances:
For the most part, the choices were good. There were a lot that made sense and didn’t seem to come out of nowhere, and it was fun trying to go with my gut to choose the “right” answer. I wouldn’t say there’s a “right” answer in every choice, but I would count the ones where you increase stats without losing them and don’t end up dead as “correct”.

Where the game kinda stumbled for me was in regards to the love interests. The game seemed to be setting us up with two: either Caleb, an emotional jokester or Simon, a quiet man who was often hard to read. So Caleb caught my eye first and I tried to steer Beth towards him, while trying to keep her own goals for her future in mind. But either I didn’t choose the correct choices or it’s set in stone because Caleb doesn’t end up being someone Beth can end up with. Even though I felt like in the game we spend more time with Caleb, you’re forced to choose between marrying Simon at the end or going your separate ways and becoming a school teacher (which is code for remaining single because I guess back then only unmarried women could be teachers). If you CAN end up with Caleb then ignore me, but if it’s true that you can’t, then I didn’t really appreciate what felt like a bait and switch. Caleb outshines Simon in personality and imo screentime, so to suddenly reach the end and not be able to choose him was frustrating.

Would you recommend this to other users? Overall I enjoyed playing Choices of the Oregon Trail. Minus a few hiccups with the “romance” that soured the ending for me, the story was interesting, had decent enough writing, and sucked me in. I would definitely recommend this game for those looking for more choose-your-own adventure-esque games to play. Just save yourself the heartache and don’t fall for Caleb lol.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

m4gicalg1rl

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
I played and replayed this game several times in order to get Beth to end up with Caleb and I got to the same conclusion: it's pretty much impossible for Caleb to be her partner in the end, even though he seems like the most obvious love interest? so I think they just did it for the sake of the tragedy to be honest, which made me kind of mad

Eriserato

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
Yeah I felt that way too. It felt like another "this journey is dangerous and unexpected and you don't always get what you want" type of thing. I finished this game several days ago so I was kinder in the review but man, when I reached that ending and Caleb said what he said I was so pissed. And then sped through the rest of the ending because after that I stopped caring. Though the moments after with Simon were cute and I wish we would have seen more of their chemistry earlier.