~*~ Community Appreciation ~*~ Game Category Suggestion Contest

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,647 happy users since 2014.
Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
I have some minor concerns:
  1. Romance and Otome is a bit the same.
  2. The "Advance Search" in the Games Area can be used to find Online and offline games/apps. Won't Online/Offline categories a bit redundant?
Any thoughts?

I know how romance and otome may seem very similar, but as someone who plays these kinds of games personally, they are very different. Romance games could be anything from otome, to regular choose your own fate visual novels, to dating sims, to family sims, and even just regular ebook apps. However, otome games are a very specific type of anime styled romance games generally marketed towards women. In those games you play as a main female character looking to build a life and find romance and they almost always have a happily ever after. They are very specific, fluffy, upbeat stories.

For instance, Bewitching Perfume by Ciagram would be an Otome, however a game like Choices: Stories you play by pixelberry would not, but it would be a visual novel app and it could go under romance as well as many other categories because there are so many different stories. :)

The point of this contest is to see what people look for when searching for their games to see what we can do to help the process of helping them find what they are really looking for. Some of these categories may not make the final cut, but they are still valid submissions to be considered. :D

Thank you for your ideas, @Mark A ! We love to have open discussions. That is what the new Community Team is all about! Do you have any other thoughts or ideas?

THEGREATTDM

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
i suggest add "RTS" (Real-time strategy) because why not ? and it make easier to find ur game

Last edited:

Mark A

˜”*1̴̸̷̶̵̧̛̛̪͍̖̦̣̜̠̯̰̻̫̪̰̞̙̎̀̊̑̏́͛̂͐͋̋̈́̊̿̕͝͝͠ͅ *”˜
Member for 6 years
I know how romance and otome may seem very similar, but as someone who plays these kinds of games personally, they are very different. Romance games could be anything from otome, to regular choose your own fate visual novels, to dating sims, to family sims, and even just regular ebook apps. However, otome games are a very specific type of anime styled romance games generally marketed towards women. In those games you play as a main female character looking to build a life and find romance and they almost always have a happily ever after. They are very specific, fluffy, upbeat stories.

For instance, Bewitching Perfume by Ciagram would be an Otome, however a game like Choices: Stories you play by pixelberry would not, but it would be a visual novel app and it could go under romance as well as many other categories because there are so many different stories. :)

The point of this contest is to see what people look for when searching for their games to see what we can do to help the process of helping them find what they are really looking for. Some of these categories may not make the final cut, but they are still valid submissions to be considered. :D

Thank you for your ideas, @Mark A ! We love to have open discussions. That is what the new Community Team is all about! Do you have any other thoughts or ideas?
Oh I see~ If you put it that way, it's undeniably different from one another.
Thank you. (I been enlightened.)
:)
On a side-note, may I suggest "Lucky Patcher" and "Helium save" as categories.
Simply because a significant amount (not all) of MODs require the use of those.

Edit:
Also maybe add "Zombie" as a category.
Why? Because the world needs zombies~ Everybody loves zombies~!

(I kinda want to suggest "Endless Runner" but as far as I know ~ there is only Subway Surfer and Temple Run~ LOL)

Last edited:

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
i suggest add "RTS" (Real-time strategy) because why not ? and it make easier to find ur game
the great time

Thank you @THEGREATTDM ! I added RTS
Post automatically merged:

Oh I see~ If you put it that way, it's undeniably different from one another.
Thank you. (I been enlightened.)
:)
On a side-note, may I suggest "Lucky Patcher" and "Helium save" as categories.
Simply because a significant amount (not all) of MODs require the use of those.

Edit:
Also maybe add "Zombie" as a category.
Why? Because the world needs zombies~ Everybody loves zombies~!

(I kinda want to suggest "Endless Runner" but as far as I know ~ there is only Subway Surfer and Temple Run~ LOL)
Thank you @Mark A! I added your suggestions :)

Mark A

˜”*1̴̸̷̶̵̧̛̛̪͍̖̦̣̜̠̯̰̻̫̪̰̞̙̎̀̊̑̏́͛̂͐͋̋̈́̊̿̕͝͝͠ͅ *”˜
Member for 6 years
Tower defence.
It's a popular subgenre of strategy games.
I feel it would be better to make a specific category to make searching easier.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
I was gonna sugest a Online and Offline, category, or filter. But someone already did it.

I didn't knew about this.
@JUCA That's okay :) did you have any other ideas for categories? What do you look for when playing a new game?

@Mark A, I am adding Tower Defense now.

qth

Fuzz Pawldrin
Member for 6 years
My suggestions:
MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena)
MMO/MMORPG - just me being specific with RPGs
FPS (First Person Shooter)
A separate category for HG (Hosted Games) and COG (Choice of Games) labels because their games brought me here
Kids/Children because why not? ;)
Battle Royale I like them even if I sucked
Sport management, i don't like it when it's lumped carelessly with general sports
Edit: Indie games?

I think that's it, for now.

Last edited:

qth

Fuzz Pawldrin
Member for 6 years
Another:
Pixel games - I specifically search games that have this art style
Sandbox, maybe?
And maybe Roguelike games

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
Another:
Pixel games - I specifically search games that have this art style
Sandbox, maybe?
And maybe Roguelike games

I went ahead and added your suggestions from both posts. The only one I didn't add was "Roguelike" because it was too close to the stealth category @qth. If you have any other ideas, please keep them coming :D.

Reactions: qth

SeraphineSanctum

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 5 years
Design ~ Clothing and home Decorating
Cooking ~ For Restaurant type games
Party / play with friends ~ Like Fibbage or Charades or Trivia
Exploring / Open World ~ For open ended games
Tower Defense ~ For games like Bloons TD
Coop Games ~ For games where you can work together in a team or guild.
Word Games ~
Animals ~ For Farming and pet type games
Retro Games ~ Nuff said.
Choices ~ So people know that these are the types of games where your choices affect the story.

qth

Fuzz Pawldrin
Member for 6 years
@CordeliaCross Thank you for the consideration. I will if ideas come by.
But I think I should have worded the Roguelike better.
It actually means "a subgenre of role-playing video game characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player character."
It's termed "roguelike" because the subgenre was first introduced by the game Rogue.
Sorry for the nerd talk.
If you don't like the suggestion, maybe hack and slash would do as a substitute.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
@CordeliaCross Thank you for the consideration. I will if ideas come by.
But I think I should have worded the Roguelike better.
It actually means "a subgenre of role-playing video game characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player character."
It's termed "roguelike" because the subgenre was first introduced by the game Rogue.
Sorry for the nerd talk.
If you don't like the suggestion, maybe hack and slash would do as a substitute.

Here's what I can do, @qth. I can add both Hack and Slash and Rogue-like for the purposes of this part of the contest (Part one). When we are getting ready to publish part two, when other staff members help review the list we can decide whether we are keeping both or just one, but this way you still earn the SB Points for valid suggestions xD

qth

Fuzz Pawldrin
Member for 6 years
So here's another: They're all from the puzzle section, but I find it too broad imho.
Escape room
Matching puzzle
Hidden object
Physics puzzle

Post automatically merged:

Suggestions incoming, again!!!
Fighting games - it wasn't in the list so...
Some specifics on the simulation:
Management sim
Dating sim
Surgical/Medical sim
Vehicle/Driving sim - driving airplanes doesn't sit well with racing

Platform games
Stick games
Space - this is more on the settings but I use this keyword to find such games
Idle games - Got addicted with an idle game called Holyday City: Reloaded

Last edited:

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
I added them @qth

JohnR

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 6 years
Golf
Solitaire Cards (Tripeaks etc)
Fantasy
Award Wining
TV/Film Themed Games (i.e Family Guy/The Simpsons etc)
Bingo
Match-3 (Gardenscapes/Candy Crush etc)
Voodoo Games (Developer lol, not actual Voodoo...) loads of these on play store, although i am not sure these can be modded much...

If these are some of the things i will see if i can come up with more later!
JohnR

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
Thanks for your Submission @JohnR ! I am going to add these to the list!

Status
Not open for further replies.