💬 Review Cry No More by Linda Howard

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,148 happy users since 2014.
Register

eyannis

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Cry No More by Linda Howard

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - Cry No More: Kindle Edition by Linda Howard

Milla Edge spends her life finding the missing and the lost since her son was stolen away from her. When she received a an anonymous tip, she threw herself into the dark side of baby smuggling and immersed herself headfirst into danger, in the treacherous land of Mexico, with the assistance of a dangerously lethal tracker, James Diaz, that she isn't sure she could entirely trust.

Review:
Milla Edge's life was turned upside down when her son Justin was stolen from her during a routine run to the market. She then spends the next 10 years trying to find him, and in the interim helping others to locate their missing loved ones, sacrificing her marriage and her family relationships in the meantime. When a chance encounter with a mysterious character, James Diaz - who is a cross between an assassin, a tracker and a government operative - gives her more headway than what she had in the last ten years, she throws caution into the wind and embarks on a determined journey to find out the secrets behind the kidnapping of her son - for once and for all.

This book has all of everything: suspense, mystery, murder, romance, love and wrenching heartache. The plot is strong, and spins a great balance between the main plot of Justin's kidnapping, Milla's search and how the people around her is involved in it, the action of her descent into Mexico and its shadow, and the growing relationship between Milla and Diaz.

I love love love Milla as the main heroine. She is strong, determined, and an all-around badass in general. Her loss changed her irrevocably and it's fascinating to read about that journey. Her capacity to love is so strong, and her emotions in maneuvering her growing feelings for Diaz was written so well. The decisions she has to make are heartbreaking, but she powers through because she knows what needs to be done.

Diaz is a tricky one for me. He's definitely an anti-hero and while I appreciate some facets of his alpha-male-broody-ish personality, the innate coldness can come off as rather jarring. It got much much better in later parts of the book - which is also testament to his development - but he is very difficult to like in the beginning, especially with his non-existing communicating skills. I think my feelings towards him is kinda love-hate. I couldn't really forgive him for that one thing he did (I won't spoil it), but at the same time, the way he tried to make up for it really spoke volumes of his love for Milla. And I think that is how he won me over - from a solidarity, cold and methodical man who holds no feelings or emotions whatsoever to someone who loves, and loves greatly. I adore that development of him.

Howard's writing for this book is excellent. I've only read another book of hers before this (Mr. Perfect) and I didn't like that book or the writing in it very much. It honestly felt like the books are written by two different people. Cry No More, in some sense, is such a powerfully emotive book, especially the last few chapters. I very rarely cry while reading books, and I cried buckets in these chapters. Emotions otherwise, the book's plot is solid as well, although the antagonists made themselves pretty clear very early in the book.

If I have one complaint for this book, it would be that we don't really get to see the antagonists get their just desserts. Their outcome is kind of glossed over, and I would've appreciated a chapter with Milla confronting them, and then for them to get the outcome justified to their evil deeds.

I wasn't keen on reading more Linda Howard after Mr. Perfect, but my sister, who is fan, convinced me to give her another go. And I'm so glad I did, because Cry No More is such a wonderfully written book, and it was gripping from that devastating first chapter to the tear-jerking last. I'm definitely going to give some of Howard's other books after this.

Would you recommend this to other users? 100% recommending this to fans of romantic suspense, thriller/suspense, strong female heroines, anti-hero heroes. It's not exactly an easy read with the subject matter, but it is a tale that is woven well.

Definitely a five-star read for me.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:

Jwye

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 3 years
You got me to read this book... and I loved it!

NickRiver

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 2 years
Do u know any good books
Post automatically merged:

Do u know any good books
Post automatically merged:

Hi