💬 Review Death Note (2017)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,174 happy users since 2014.
Register

ponywonymony

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Death Note (2017)

The 2017 live action Netflix adaptation of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's 2003 hit manga of the same name, Death Note. It made some canonical changes in an attempt to appeal to a wider American audience and should be treated as a standalone.

Review:
The 2017 adaptation of Death Note was something no one really asked for or wanted, however Netflix, as with all their other live action adaptations, decided to grant us this unneeded amazing experience unwarranted. The quality is about as good as you would expect, the questionable changes to the settings (America instead of Japan), characters (Light Yagami = Light Turner) and plot caused many to revolt due to the sacrilegious defilement of one of their favorite anime and manga, however despite how terribly the movie butchered the original source material, I surprisingly gained a fair amount of entertainment out of it. Now don't get me wrong, it was indeed incredibly bad but to a point where it was so bad it became kinda funny. Hear me out, my justification is that the movie was so removed from the original that the only thing connecting the two were the titles and Willem Dafoe as Ryuk, and my unconscious comparison between the two titles only further cemented that the plot in Death Note (2017) was going nowhere I expected. As the movie went on I honestly didn't know what to expect, the whole thing made no sense, I felt as if I was watching an alternate reality Death Note where everything that made it great is perverted and distorted to a point where I finally understood how fans of Indiana Jones' felt when Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. The movie is less than 2 hours long, resting at 1 hour and 41 minutes, I believe that's a fair amount of time for someone who watched the original to sit through.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you're interested in Light Turner's hilarious antics and watching his cringe-worthy attempts to turn Mia Sutton's (loosely based on Misa Amane) lights on, then perhaps go check it out, with friends of course, don't subject yourself to this alone. In terms of how much entertainment I got out of it, I would grant it 3 stars, however in terms of quality...1 star should do.

Rating(1-5): ⭐