💬 Review District 13 (2004)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,467 happy users since 2014.
Register

Anthea

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: District 13 (2004)

District 13 (French title: Banlieue 13 / B13) is a French action film written and produced by Luc Besson. It shows off the art of parkour and stars David Belle, who is regarded as the founder of parkour and Cyril Raffaelli, a traceur, martial artist and stuntman as the two main protagonists.

Review:
This movie is one of my all-time favorites along with its sequel. First things first, the action showcased in the film is elegant, real and a sight to behold. It is the hook to get anyone interested in watching the movie. David Belle and Cyril Raffaelli are perfect in their roles despite having limited experience with acting, there just isn't a way to nitpick their performance. As is the case with John Wick, because of the actors' physical skill set, the stunts are all shot with minimal cuts and in a way that clearly shows everything that is happening. It's honestly super refreshing to watch.

Now about the movie content. It is a simple film with a straight-forward plot. France is divided into different districts, where District 13 or B13 is overrun by the gangs and drugs. Leito, played by David Belle, is a resident of B13 and Damien Tomaso, played by Cyril Raffaelli, is a police officer who needs to get in B13. Thus begins their unlikely partnership. But the reason why this movie works so well is because of its simplicity. It could have easily put in different twists, romance and plotlines to try and make the movie more packed, but instead it stuck with the story it wanted to tell and thus allowed the characters and subplots it did have to be fleshed out. The characters were interesting, the story was surprisingly nuanced and it was never boring. Everything the movie did, they did well. Nothing felt rushed and nothing was wasted.

Now how many movies can you say that about?

Would you recommend this to other users? Absolutely, it's a great movie. I recommend the version with original French audio, DUB IS THE ENEMY. It is rated PG-13, so I recommend for 13+ age group. There are mature concepts in the movie so take that into account.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited: