💬 Review Doctor Sleep (2019)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,874 happy users since 2014.
Register

TheKingOfLimbo

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: Doctor Sleep (2019)

Struggling with alcoholism, Dan Torrance remains traumatized by the sinister events that occurred at the Overlook Hotel when he was a child. His hope for a peaceful existence soon becomes shattered when he meets Abra, a teen who shares his extrasensory gift of the "shine."

Review:
The sequel to the movie The Shining (1980) and based from Stephen King's book of the same name.

Story:

Let me just say that wow, they really managed to get a great sequel.

So, Stephen King's books are more on creepy stuff, monsters and such, so it was deliciously plenty in here.

The story was really interesting, not really spectacularly attention grabbing, but it was still quite enjoyable.

There were still a bunch of surprising moments, that's for sure.

The casting though, it was really spot on. There were lots of scene that required the young Danny and Wendy Torrance and I was pleasantly surprised that Wendy was spot on. Even if you just listen to her voice, all I can hear is Shelley Duvall (the 1980 Wendy Torrance)

Even Mr. Halloran was spot on. When I scanned the first movie, you can see that the cast was great.

The acting was still quite good. It didn't really hit the exact right spot as Jack Nicholson did, but it was still good.

Music:

So hm. This movie is full on tension, and the music really did help that.

I watched this movie with my earphones and I maxed out the volume, so I can hear every little bit. The heartbeat sound was great, it really added to the tension.

Visuals:

So, the cinematography was great. There were some resemblance to the first film which was good.

Obviously, the special effects are better.

So overall, this was a sequel done right. I really enjoyed it. I think I honestly enjoyed this more than the first film. There's a lot more stuff. But I think there's just this charm on the first film that the sequel didn't quite catch right. I'm not sure what it is though.

I was quite pleased that some jumpscare actually got me (I mean, the movie was more tension than actual jumpscares but still) or maybe it was just because I maxed out the volume lol.

This is a great watch, and a sequel that was done right. I think I enjoyed this more than It 1 and 2, because that was a bit more blah. and children just cursing tbh.lol

Honestly, I really enjoyed the climax. It was a full on trip back to memory lane from the first film, which a lot of you would enjoy, I presume, because I certainly did.

I dunno what the matter is with the reviews from critics, but I enjoyed it so there's that. It's different from the first film, but I think they did a pretty fine job doing this film.

Would you recommend this to other users?
Yes. If you watched the first one, then I think you'd appreciate the sequel.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited: