💬 Review Dragonoak Book 1: The Complete History of Kastelir by Sam Farren

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,364 happy users since 2014.
Register

frkac

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Dragonoak Book 1: The Complete History of Kastelir by Sam Farren

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - Dragonoak: The Complete History of Kastelir (Dragonoak #1) by Sam Farren

This is the story where you will meet magic, knight, dragon, pane (a creature with tusks and claws and great, spiralling horns).
This is the story about Rowan Northwood a village girl that exiled form her village because she is a necromancer. She run away with Sir Ightham, a knight that passing through her village.
Her journey with Sir Ightham take her through the kingdom and lead them to Kastelir a neighboring Kingdom that is not really stable. While hiding her necromancy she found a great challenge, friendship, and surprise along the way.

Review:
I'm on fence whether giving 4 or 5 stars for this book. I think it is about 4.5 stars leaning to 4 stars. I won't give it 5 stars because it is unlikely that I will reread it because of the length and slow start (and I rarely reread the book except I really really love it)

The start of this book is really slow, about the first 30% we still don't know most of the mission, what is the purpose of their journey, what is the problem in the kingdom, etc.

We only get to read from Rowan's POV so we as clueless as she is. We don't even know the other main character name until 1/5 book, we only know her as Sir Ightham. Rowan is a necromancer like super strong healer in this world. When people know that she's not merely a healer but a necromancer, she is exiled from her village.

Though the start is really slow I can't stop reading, the naivety and cluelessness of Rowan make me can't wait to learn more about Sir Ightham, Ran, why they go to Kaselir, so many question make me read as fast as I can lol. Though I admit it sometimes frustrate me that the main character doesn't know about the purpose of the journey (and therefore we don't know about it too)

I love how the author describe the places in their travel, how Rowan is amazed seeing all those places. I can imagine the mountain, the Pane's village, Kastelir, the village and city they passed. And I freaking love Pane, the peaceful creature that maybe looks not so peaceful. The world building is amazing, the character is lovable and I really love Rowan’s development from the village girl to become more something more.

And before I forget there's same sex romance in here, non binary character, etc. Just a little bit of everything here. But the romance is minimum, so if you don't really like to read romantic story you won't mind the romance (I want it more though)

Can't wait to read book number 2 after this, hopefully it will be a little bit faster than this. Though this is still a really great and enjoyable read

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes, I recommend this book if you love fantasy genre with a great world and character, some dragon, knight, necromancer, turn oil kingdom, and many more

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited by a moderator: