Duplicate install

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,866 happy users since 2014.
Register

FrozenDeath

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
So I have a game. It's a free one but there are some mods(re fan add-ons). One of the add ons is basically a rebuild of the game itself, you try to install and it wants to do it like an update to the main game. I want to keep the original and have this as a separate game. What would I need to get or change to make it see this instance as it's own game rather then add a update to one I have already? I have looked a little at it with apk editor, but seeing as I don't really know what to even look for or not being that experienced with any real coding not sure if this would work for what I want or if I need something different. (like to have some method with device only as my computer is acting up right now and need to have my friend look at it sometime so ya. Thanks for any help or direction you can point me in.

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
"Parallel Space" should let you do it. It's basically a virtual Android system in your Android device (like having 2 smartphones in one) but it's a lot simplified, you just have a folder in your phone where you can install apk files again and launch them as separate apps. This lets you install 2 facebooks, 2 whatsapps, 2 of your favourite games and so on.

FrozenDeath

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
Yea I know of PS, but I'm curious on this method in general. I know the original game has something like this with the core game as an app, then a separate app that's the same thing but with the latest updates and builds (beta in a major) that installs as a separate game. Just wondering how this is done.

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
Well, generally speaking, as soon as the package name is different in the AndroidManifest.xml file of the apk file, it installs as a different app, even if it's the same identical game.

FrozenDeath

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
OK I will play with this some and see what I can get, thanks. Shall return if I have issues. But back to sleep for now, lol

FrozenDeath

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
Bam!!! ... You are looking for this ??
Maybe? Prob I think, heh

Well I found the name but in the manifest, added a bit to it saved rebuild and ran, it installed but when I try to launch it crashes. So now to see what I broke there...

Gourov

Dimitri Petrenko
✌️ Community Team
Member for 5 years
Maybe? Prob I think, heh

Well I found the name but in the manifest, added a bit to it saved rebuild and ran, it installed but when I try to launch it crashes. So now to see what I broke there...
Good luck :)
Post automatically merged:

Maybe? Prob I think, heh

You need to rename both on Android manifest , resources.arse and Classes.dex . Hope it helps ;)

FrozenDeath

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
OK I will try that. Thanks

Edit:eek:k what do I need to edit the classes.dex file? And I could not find the other resources.arse

Last edited:

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
Basically, if the package is com.example.gamename, it means in smali folder there's the following path:

smali/com/example/gamename/

so, if you're renaming it to com.example.gamename1, you should also call the final "gamename" folder in smali into "gamename1".

But that's not all unfortunately.

Smali files communicate each other, so they'll often call things inside /smali/com/example/gamename/, so you'll have to replace that path into /smali/com/example/gamename1/, and Notepad++ is a fantastic tool for this purpose, in order to do all this at once.

FrozenDeath

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 4 years
OK so I need to go through the files in smali to find and replace the path for it to new name. And to find notepad++ for Android to go through the files to find it... So it will take a while it seems..

Took me a few too find the smali files s's didn't show that at first but clicked the image that said smali and it then added the directory.

Gourov

Dimitri Petrenko
✌️ Community Team
Member for 5 years
OK so I need to go through the files in smali to find and replace the path for it to new name. And to find notepad++ for Android to go through the files to find it... So it will take a while it seems..

Took me a few too find the smali files s's didn't show that at first but clicked the image that said smali and it then added the directory.
There is a easier way to that with Apk Editor. Go to common edit and do a minor change in package name (like com/Android to com/Androie) . Check both resources.arsc and clasees.dex and build. Most of the case it works ;)
Post automatically merged:

Or you can also use cloning feature on Lucky Patcher .:)