💬 Review Fablehaven

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,048 happy users since 2014.
Register

margris

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 3 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Fablehaven

It's the first in Brandon Mull's five-volume series of Fablehaven

Review:
Kendra and Seth are siblings who are on their way to their grandparents' farm for staying two weeks because their parents were going on a cruise with almost all the family remaining. They don't know at all that the big spaced and beautiful farm is one of the few refuges for magical creatures of all sorts, built just to protect and preserve them, but all isn't that well at this magic place. Others seek entrance to the haven to gain access to the highly valuable creatures so they can take advantage of them, and even the creatures themselves can be deadly if they're not treated with respect.
Once the book gets going it's good, but I felt it took quite long to get to the point. Kendra and Seth's grandfather doesn't just come out and tell them what the farm really is so instead they have to unravel the truth themselves in approximate a hundred pages. While this tries to make sense, I felt like intensive story needed to start sooner because from the point it did I just couldn't put it down.
Seth is reckless to the point of being foolish about things that nobody in their right minds would have done. This is obviously a mechanism to drive the plot forward, but to me it could have been handled in a better way. Maybe it felt to me like plot mechanics instead of a character making decisions. But I don't really mind about it since the story has proven to be a success.

Would you recommend this to other users? Aside from that minor Seth's point, the book is rather good and can be really enjoyed by young adults (and a few adults as well). I recommend it to come in an adventure that mix up the reality and fantasy in an incredible and sometimes dangerous way.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐