💬 Review Glass (2019)

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,346 happy users since 2014.
Register

Nut1982

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the Content you are reviewing: Glass (2019)

Ah, M. Knight Shaman! Who else in Hollywood has such a colorful story of rise and fall? The filmmaking and audience attitude towards Shamalan is like a clear metaphor for the entire Hollywood industry and all in it - up and down, a triumph and a god, but then with a wrong step you become a laugh.

Review:
I do not want to be too dramatic. The truth is that Glass is generally not a bad movie, there are aspects on which it definitely works very well, but also to say that only the expectations of the audience make it disappointing is unfair to us. Still, Shamalan deliberately pursues two of his most successful and best films - "The Immortal" and "In Pieces" - it is normally expected to be high. But first I want to warn because I do not find a way to talk about this movie without details of the story.
David Dunn (Bruce Willis), for more than 18 years, is continuing to look for criminals and real villains on the streets of Philadelphia, already helped by his growing son, Joshua (Spencer Clark). Called by the media supervisor, he searches for a feverish trace of the dreaded Horde - the many people living in the body of Kevin Wendell Krum (James McAvoy) who continue to kidnap and kill young girls after leaving only Casey (Anya Taylor Joy) alive at the end to "In pieces". Dunn finds the lair easily and, after an impressive fight, they are taken to a psychiatric clinic, where Dr. Eli Staple (Sarah Paulson) will try to convince them that the three, together with Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson) or else you hang there, are not actually more special or stronger than any other person - their obsession with greatness is to think of comic book characters.
The story goes in a generally predictable but quite pleasant way. If "The Nevigrant" was Shamalan's unusual superhero film, "Glasses" is a commentary on the superhero genre, which has undoubtedly changed a lot in the nineteen years since David Dunn's first adventure. However, Shamalan has something to say again about the comic heroes, the good and the bad, the sworn enemy and the weak spot. While Eli Staple tries to convince them that none of what they can do is unusual or special, it also occupies an important archetype of a comic book. "Glassware," considered as a deconstruction and commentary on the superhero genre, can be very interesting and be discussed for a long time.
 The problem is that Shamalan is Shamalan and can not breathe unless there is a twist at the end. And the twist in the case is absolutely meaningless and has no effect on the characters' characterization, what we know about them and how we perceive them, and, frankly, about the outcome of the story. Without the "twist" it could have ended in exactly the same way, I would even argue that it could be taken as an opportunity to comment on the real world, on police brutality and the fear of the different. On the contrary, I would even say that with the reversal, Shamalan undermines his own message of the film - until until now he has deconstructed every single cliché and every genre of the superheroic film and showed how they are used again and again, now he just uses a genre clich absolutely non-ironically, because ... well, forget what he was talking about?
 But the caste is impressive and is a pleasure to watch. James McAvoy is again phenomenal, these films will remain as sure as the pearls in his crown and will be mentioned every time when it comes to his acting skills. Samuel L. Jackson knows exactly what he's doing - little actors are such veterans as he is in superhero movies, but with Elijah Price he's restrained and scary precisely because of his control of every situation - he does not explode, he just acts. It is a great pleasure to share that even Bruce Willis is good and looks like he cares! We have not seen such a thing for 10 years. Sara Paulson is just as steadfast as she always has - her screen presence has been brightening up to now with the little screen, unforgettable roles in the American Horror Story and The People vs. OJ Simpson. Here she behaves with her three more famous colleagues with confidence and deservedness. It is also nice to see Spencer Clark return to his role as the first film because we know that many child actors do not dig into the business when they grow up.
"Glassware" also looks very good. Shamalan and the operator Mike Giolakis combine the recognizable colors of the characters - David Dunne's dark green, Kevin's yellow and the blue-lilac of Elijah Price to tell the audience who runs the parade. The stage with the three and Dr. Spencer during a therapeutic session will remain in our minds purely visually for a long time. Interestingly, the decision to capture the characters portrait, right in the face while they talk - creates a feeling that the audience is real there, inside the action. We definitely count it as a plus. "Glassworks" is an absolutely amusing and entertaining film that might end up with at least one good work for the public - it will make the audience reconsider their view that M. Knight Shamalan's success may be predicated on his previous film and allow it to judge for every piece of work for itself, instead of putting it into "periods".

Would you recommend this to other users? Recommend!

KentCave

~• Philosopher Poet •~
From the Hell
Member for 5 years
lol
You made me almost went googling :
"The Immortal" and "In Pieces"
as I am a fan of his movies. I think ALL were Great. He popularized Bryce. I love that "Mermaid in the Pool" one as well as "Eugenics in Forest"
lol
"Train-wreck" and "Persona War"