💬 Review Google Pixel XL by DanicaPatrick

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,313,305 happy users since 2014.
Register

DanicaPatrick

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Verified 18+ user
Member for 6 years
Reviewed Device: Google Pixel XL

Description
The first generation of the Google Pixel phone line. The XL is similar to the standard Google Pixel except with a bigger, crisper screen display and a longer battery life. The Pixel XL has a quad HD screen (2560 × 1440 pixels) and an excellent build quality. The Pixel XL performs well even with multiple apps open and is on the cheaper end of the spectrum due to being produced in 2016.

Performance: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Camera:     ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Quality:      ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Price:       ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Things I like
I have the 128GB version of the Pixel XL and after having the phone for about a year now I still have at least 20GB of space left. I purchased this smartphone from Amazon for $350 (the price may have gone down) so this is a fairly cheap, contract-less smartphone. So far the battery life has held up quite well and it performs well under pressure (something the Nexus line struggled with). The camera looks great in the sunlight but the night camera is not nearly as good as the Pixel 3/4. I am using an Otterbox phone case to protect my Pixel and no matter how many times I've dropped it the phone stays intact (I doubt an uncased Pixel would survive a drop on the concrete). Overall it's a cheap, well-performing phone that would be perfect for someone who doesn't mind using an older phone.

Things I don't like
Google has been pretty bad about supporting their older phones and as far as I am aware are not supporting anymore Android updates for Pixel 1's (Android 10 was the last update). This happened with my old Nexus as well, they stopped supporting past Android 7. Be aware when purchasing an older Google phone that it is unlikely they will support it for long, unlike Apple who supports older devices well past their sell-by date. There's also been a trend of Android phone companies making it very difficult to replace batteries, so if you want to replace the battery on your Pixel you may as well just buy a new phone.

Overall Ratings: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Verdict
I would not recommend this phone because it was produced in 2016 and by phone standards it's already decades behind. It still performs well but moving forward Pixel's will not be receiving Android updates and eventually it will begin slowing down. For the time being I will continue using this older, but still well performing phone.

Top Smartphone Reviews of the Month