Help backup save game for fftwotl without root

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,307,707 happy users since 2014.
Register

solarian78x

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 6 years
Hi everyone!
I've been trying for a along time to figure out how to retreive and backup the app data (game progress) for fft wotl without rooting my phone and i think ive hit a brick wall. I have a bunch of characters on lv 99 with all jobs completed so im pretty invested here. Here's what ive found so far.

This app has adb backup disabled so you can't use android sdk or helium to make a backup file.

There is a way to recompile apks with adb enabled. However there are 2 problems with this.
1. You have to uninstall the app before installing the recompiled apk or the installation doesnt work. so i would lose the save game data defeating the purpose of this excercise. Big problem.
2. Once you're using the recompiled app adb backup will work. However the keys used for the new apk have an expiration date. The key allegedly lasts for a long time. However once is expires i might be screwed again.

Last but not least, on reddit and finalfantasyhactics.com i think the file paths the mention are in root locations.

I have one thing i might try but based on the filepaths mentioned this probably wont work. I would test this on a different device to see what happens.
1. Install version 1.0.0
2. Play for a bit and save the game.
3. Install the latest version of the app over the existing one. Then replace the obb data to match the apk (i think doing this worked for me with a different app when fixing a corrupted apk. In that situation the apk was replaced and the game data was left intact!)
4. Load the save game in the updated app and resave the existing game file.
5. Check to see if the app saved the file to a location that can be accessed without rooting.

Based on what ive learned i dont think thats going to work though.

If anyone solved this problem or has any ideas lease let me know.

Once we figure how to backup the save file the next trick would be to figure out how to restore it. But one thing at a time.

And if all else fails, ill just have to use the device with the save on it if i ever want to play this game. Rip.

solarian78x

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 6 years

Problem solved!

I was originally using v1.0.0 which had adb backup disabled. for v2.1.0 adb backup is enabled.

I was able to install the newer APK over the old one and then Helium worked! I was doing this just for backup so i could delete the game and free up space. So I didn't even need to put the matching OBB data. Then i tried installing v2 on a different device and restored data with Helium and the files were there and playable!

No root necessary!

NICE!!!

Thank you!
Post automatically merged:

word of caution. I wanted to install v1 over v2 and it didn't work. I guess only a sideload that updates the app works not downgrades.

Last edited:

Eden

Staff member
✌️ Community Team
Approval Team
Verified 18+ user
Member for 5 years
Hi there,

I am closing this question and moving it to Answered Questions as you already found the solution for this question. If you have any other questions please post them in our Questions Area.

Thank you!