Help for buying A laptop

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,709 happy users since 2014.
Register

Kritikumarb

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
I am a student And I want to buy a laptop under 550USD for all like gaming Entertainment or making Documents etc.
So if you know which one I have to buy please help. I will install Windows separately.

I found "Acer Aspire 5" with all function if you have any better choice please share me. :happydroid:

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
it would depend on the specifications. What kind of games were you looking to play? There is a huge difference between what is necessary for Terraria vs. Fortnite type games

Kritikumarb

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
I want a PUBG mobile or Fortnite like game Actually I want to play Fortnite call of duty and GTA online and working on my college projects and do some programming and learn some hacking.

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 5 years
Are there any special programs you would need for school? I know my computer had a hard time running Autodesk and I had to upgrade it.

Kritikumarb

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
I studied Computer Science and I have to do some programming

Cheettat

The Demolisher
YouTuber
✔ Approved Releaser
eBook Releaser
Active User
Member for 5 years
Asus fx 570

Bitch Potato

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
I make games for a living and repair PC's. While I wouldn't recommend a laptop (for GAMING and PRODUCTION) to anyone due to the parts not being designed for use in heavy production or rendering (including games) unless it's a high price point with parts really made for wear and tear, I would urge you to think about what each component in the machine does. Heat is the enemy and each part will fail in a machine over time one by one. With laptops you can't just go opening up easily and replacing a CPU fan, or upgrading that fan, or changing to a cooler case- laptops cook eggs at their single little exhaust vent. At 550 you probably wont get a good graphics card with drivers that update regularly. (Like Nvidia.)

Edit: And by thinking of the parts, laptops cram them all together or integrate them. There is no space to cool and you can't upgrade your cooling system if your build isn't quite right. You can't adjust your power supply's voltage if you make upgrades as well. They were designed for convenience tasks and on the go activities. Not sitting ones.

You will get a lot of disappointment if you try to run 3D games (especially high end or unoptimized ones) on a cheap laptop, and for the price you can definitely get better quality and years via desktop. (Putting it together yourself can save a lot of money, there are sites you can look up premade builds and buy each part at the lowest price.) Laptops are grade A for college and work documentation, looking at graphs and managing money. The gaming laptops that run will not last as long and it is possible to suddenly fry them if you push it beyond its means. For example you could run Skyrim, right? But then you mod it and overheat it 'too' much once and it never runs the same again. Nearly unfixable.

For programming, have you tried to run Visual Studio lately? Lol what is up with that? Why is it so big and slow loading these days? But yeah for mostly text work it's fine.

Legacy

⭐???? ?? ??????⭐
Verified 18+ user
Member for 4 years
I make games for a living and repair PC's. While I wouldn't recommend a laptop (for GAMING and PRODUCTION) to anyone due to the parts not being designed for use in heavy production or rendering (including games) unless it's a high price point with parts really made for wear and tear, I would urge you to think about what each component in the machine does. Heat is the enemy and each part will fail in a machine over time one by one. With laptops you can't just go opening up easily and replacing a CPU fan, or upgrading that fan, or changing to a cooler case- laptops cook eggs at their single little exhaust vent. At 550 you probably wont get a good graphics card with drivers that update regularly. (Like Nvidia.)

Edit: And by thinking of the parts, laptops cram them all together or integrate them. There is no space to cool and you can't upgrade your cooling system if your build isn't quite right. You can't adjust your power supply's voltage if you make upgrades as well. They were designed for convenience tasks and on the go activities. Not sitting ones.

You will get a lot of disappointment if you try to run 3D games (especially high end or unoptimized ones) on a cheap laptop, and for the price you can definitely get better quality and years via desktop. (Putting it together yourself can save a lot of money, there are sites you can look up premade builds and buy each part at the lowest price.) Laptops are grade A for college and work documentation, looking at graphs and managing money. The gaming laptops that run will not last as long and it is possible to suddenly fry them if you push it beyond its means. For example you could run Skyrim, right? But then you mod it and overheat it 'too' much once and it never runs the same again. Nearly unfixable.

For programming, have you tried to run Visual Studio lately? Lol what is up with that? Why is it so big and slow loading these days? But yeah for mostly text work it's fine.
Now I would completely understand the need for portability and a compact machine but considering that you want to play games a laptop should be at the very bottom of the available options.

I completely agree with @Bitch Potato here and would also recommend you to reconsider your options and go for a PC. I say this from experience since I also bought a laptop for the same reason as yours and now I completely regret the decision I made due to the numerous problems of laptop.

Basically a laptop:

• Is way more expensive in terms of specifications when comparing to the same desktop computer parts.
  • Difference between performance of parts even though they have the same make/model. (i.e an R7 260 will perform WAY BETTER than an R7 m260)
  • Overheating problems.
  • Costly maintenance.
  • VERY Sensitive.
  • Significant decrease in performance over a short span of time.
  • Very small options regarding upgrading.

In the end what matters is your choice and preference but do give this a thought before making a final decision.

Reactions: Sky