💬 Review Hidden by Laura Griffin

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,954 happy users since 2014.
Register

eyannis

Savage Lv6️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Hidden by Laura Griffin

Link to the content you're reviewing on our site (optional): 📖 eBook Download - Hidden (The Texas Murder Files #1) by Laura Griffin

When a woman is found murdered on a hiking trail, it seems like a simple case of a mugging gone wrong, although the wounds seems to suggest otherwise. As crime reporter Bailey digs deeper into the case, she has a hunch the victim is not who she appears to be, and her investigation leads her into the questionable territory technology that can be deadly in the wrong hands. With lead detective Jacob Merritt by her side, she races to uncover the truth before the next person dies.

Review:
The book starts strongly, through the eyes of the victim, and leads on to the investigation of the case, featuring the two leads, crime reporter Bailey Rhoads and detective Jacob Merritt. The two don't get off on the right foot, with a relentless Bailey pursuing a reluctant Joseph for answers (and we kinda know where this will lead to).

As Jacob tries to solve the case, he realises there is next to no information about his victim, she has no ID and no one is looking for her. She has no digital footprints and few friends. Deciding to utilise Bailey's investigative skills, the two begin an unofficial and often fraught partnership that then delves into the world of witness protection, hitmen and dark secrets of the tech world of facial recognition technology.

The mystery/suspense of the book is fast-paced and written quite well, as one event/clue/happening slides rather smoothly to the next. There are actually two cases/mysteries going on at once but both has elements that ultimately tie them to each other, bringing everything together in the end. It's a rather straightforward, step-by-step mystery that unfolds in turn.

The two lead characters are well-developed and well written. I enjoy Bailey's spunky, determined and dogged character, and her willingness to take risks for the sake of chasing the story and telling the truth. Jacob strikes me as the typical tall, dark and handsome but broody and abrasive cop in the beginning, but he settles well in gradually opening up to Bailey, and then genuinely caring for her.

I rather enjoy the romance aspect of this book, even if it is a bit of insta-love. The initial sexual tension simmered nicely into developing romantic relationship, and it is not unbelievable that Jacob fell for Bailey, and vice versa. The way the romance plays into the intricacies of the case and their respective roles as reporter and cop makes for good reading, too.

The book wraps up everything quite nicely, although admittedly I would love more closure for one of the characters. You will know who I mean if/when you read it, I shall not spoil it. A good solid read, I finished it in one afternoon (and little breaks in between).

Would you recommend this to other users? I definitely will recommend this for fans of the romantic suspense genre. The mystery part is interesting and intriguing in turn, and Jacob and Bailey will make you root for them, both in solving the cases and in their relationship.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited: