💬 Review I Saw the Devil

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,686 happy users since 2014.
Register

Pepk81

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: I Saw the Devil

I Saw the Devil is a South Korean action thriller about psychopathy and revenge. Very graphic and violent not for the faint- hearted.

Review:
Review may contain spoilers. South Korea is known for its revenge thrillers, I Saw the Devil is one of the best in this genre. Lee Byung Hun plays a secret service agent whose fiance is brutally murdered at the very beginning of the series by psychopathic serial killer played by Choi Min Sik. Choi Min Sik is brutal and enjoys dismembering bodies including the secret agents fiance.
Lee Byung Hun seeks revenge and after investigating a few despicable criminals narrows it down to Choi Min Sik's character. This is where the cat and mouse, catch and release game begins between these two. Byung Hun utilizes all his secret agent skills to exact the worst revenge possible on this truly despicable unrepentant serial killer putting him through a series of torturous processes. However inevitably the consequences of this thirst for revenge leave you with the empty feeling of was this really worth it? The protagonist loses almost everything including the people he is also seeking revenge for.
It is engrossing from beginning to end. A bit too much gratuitous violence and depiction of violence against women. In the end you feel like the protagonist empty and defeated even though the last scene of the film and what happens to the villain is quite shocking.

Would you recommend this to other users? Would recommend for those fans of south korean noir revenge thrillers. Not suitable for U18 because of explicit violence, sex, nudity.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐