💬 Review i'm thinking thinking of ending things (2020) [spoiler free]

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,323,635 happy users since 2014.
Register

TheKingOfLimbo

APK Fanatic Lv5️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the movie you are reviewing: i'm thinking thinking of ending things (2020) [spoiler free]

Full of misgivings, a young woman travels with her new boyfriend to his parents' secluded farm.

Review:
This was the long awaited film by our beloved Charlie Kaufman, the director of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Summary: a great film, boring for most, but it's a thinker.

Story:

The premise is quite simple. A young woman goes to her boyfriend's childhood home despite having doubts about their relationship.

But of course, nothing is ever as simple as that...in the world of Charlie Kaufman, at least. There's a *lot* of conversation. Roughly 3/4 of the film is spent in conversation. It depends on the viewer, but I was enraptured, despite being bored a few times.

The story goes through various strange stages. She sees her boyfriend's parents (the mother is played by the amazing Toni Colette, from Hereditary) through various stages of life: young, old, and older.

There were a lot of foreshadowing and easter eggs that were easily missed. One thing is that (not a big spoiler) her earrings change. It turns into a heart shaped earring, into a round shaped, and back to circle.

The ending is very odd. I can honestly say I don't understand every single bit of it, but I had goosebumps all throughout just watching it. There is a lot of quotable lines, most notably; "I'm thinking of ending things. Once this thought arrives, it stays, it sticks, it lingers, it dominates. There's not much I can do about it, trust me, it doesn't go away, it's there whether I like it or not."

Visuals:

We all wanted to see this. Charlie Kaufman is known for odd and powerful visuals and I am happy to say that it's a great one. It's not as powerful as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (though you really shouldn't compare because they are different films), it's more subtle and it really creeps up on you.

The 4:3 screen ratio really managed to put a sense of claustrophobia in the scenes and...i have a soft spot for this kind of ratio, so I liked it.

Music:

The music is otherworldly. It feels tense and calming at the same time. It captures the film perfectly. Odd and strange. I actually really liked the climax scene's music. It was the motif song used all throughout, and it felt so so weird.

Movie Vs. Book

Which one is better? I don't know. They are both different, despite being the same title. I had a different experience with each of them. The climax scenes were different, mood and scenes.

How accurate is the movie from the book? It is *somewhat* accurate. The book goes a bit more in depth of what the protagonist is feeling. The mood in the climax is also very different. On the book, it was full of dread and scary, while the film was eerie and strange.

The most obvious change in the movie was that they go to a place called the "Tulsey Town" where in the book, it was just Dairy Queen. It made sense because it's usually harder to get branded products on movies, but it's easier on books.

But the most drastic change is the ending. It's not necessarily a bad change, but it will depend on you if you like it or not. Both were very surreal but in different ways. I'm the book, it was more dreadful and tense, while in the movie, the climax was...weird. I personally think it worked because it added a lot more puzzle to the story.

Did the film do any justice to the book? Yes, I think so. It was its own thing and I found it to be a worthy adaptation of the book.

Overall I thought it was very strange. I loved it. I'm not sure, but I definitely did not hate it. It's a puzzler with good visuals.

After a few days, I rewatched this film again because I really liked it and I realized that it was actually really really really good. The fact that it managed to stay in my mind even after a few days surprised me. I don't think it's a movie that's supposed to be only watched once. It needs attention and if you lack that, and you want something flashy to happen, then this movie might but be for you.

5/5

Would you recommend this to other users? Yes! It's one of the best films this year, and it's either you love it, or think it's boring lol.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐