💬 Review Interstellar Mod ver. 1.6.1

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,312,869 happy users since 2014.
Register

McFallon

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: Interstellar Mod ver. 1.6.1

Interstellar Pilot was something I found whilst on the hunt for something I could run on my Chromium OS. As I am an avid fan of the old Digital Anvil Studio's game, Freelancer, I was digging around for something that was at least close to my old favorite game. And Viola'! I found this!

Review:
There was a lot I liked about the game and some things not so much. The graphics are sweet, taking into account what the lower end Chromebooks are capable of. If you have a lot of ships in one environment it tends to overload the GPU, even to the point where I've had one fleet get "stuck" and refusing to move into formation with the rest of the armada. Reboot and getting the rest of the armada into another system did the trick and I sent that offending fleet back to base get a grip.

Another thing I would like to see from the developer would be more systems than the max of 16, but again, that might prove to be too much for android based graphics processors, not to mention the limits of joinable fleets at a max of 8.

At first, I was leery because one requirement was to run the Chrome OS in developer mode. I'd never set up a Chromebook to do such a thing and after reading a bit of the reviews of those that had jumped into developer mode blindly, wondered if a powerwash was a way to go just to run a game I'd run into a brick wall with.

One of the moaners complained that setting the machine into dev mode caused a powerwash for which he'd not taken care to back up his machine and accounts to the cloud. I already had my machine set to this automatically so that was a concern I did not share.

Initially, I felt the Mod took much from the game as it took the challenge of building your forces and stations away somewhat by eliminating the parameters set by the size limitations of the station parts to whatever your H class haulers could carry. Then there was the lack of needing to build an income. I overcame that issue by building my bases and ships then just patrolling neighboring systems and killing everything in sight.

Beyond that, I really didn't run into any issues with the Mod and will soon find out if I can take this thing out of Dev mode and still be able to run the Mod. I pretty much doubt it though, knowing what I know now.

I'll experiment with that later after the boredom has taken root over yet another android based sim, at which point I'll report my findings here.
03-28-20

Would you recommend this to other users? I would, yes.

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Billo

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 3 years
It is a great game.
Reminds me of the early PC game privateer.