Is it worth it to DL an Anti-virus for an Android??

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,463 happy users since 2014.
Register

Metachii

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 5 years
Hello,

I've recently bought a new Xiaomi Mi A2 mobile phone.
I was wondering if I should download an Anti-virus for it. Since some opinions on the internet says that it's useless for mobile phones. On the other hand, others claim that it benefits the mobile.

Anyways I would like to know if it would also affect the performance or not? Because I use Android One, which is characterized by great smoothness in performance. I don't want to affect that!

Thanks!

Sbenny

A crazy scientist
Staff member
Admin
SB Mod Squad ⭐
✔ Approved Releaser
Active User
It usually depends on what you do with it. If you plan to visit safe sources, regardless of the effectiveness of Antiviruses which I've heard of but I can't confirm about their *useless* presence on smartphones, I still recommend to install them ONLY if you plan to visit unknown sources.

I personally have never had such apps on my mobile, but I know the places I visit.

PhilReed1976

Apprentice Lv2️⃣
Member for 5 years
I used to be addicted to downloading anti virus & optimization apps. I can recall on three fingers in about 8 years where any of these anti virus apps actually detected anything that was malware. Here's an example - I was a massive fan of Security Master before the devs got obsessed with ads and revenue options. I wanted to find a modded APK that allowed me to have the premium vpns for free rather than pay a ridiculously high price monthly subscription at well over £30 a month. I downloaded a dodgy modded APK that also had malware written in which permanently had adverts on your screen whenever went to the home screen. Security Master never even detected it was malware and said it was safe to install! If I did that I would have overwritten the very app that was supposed to keep me safe!

Take Sbenny's advice - just watch where you download from. Apps like Aptoide, Blackmart are notorious for dodgy apps. Keep to Sbenny for your APK downloads. There are a couple of other APK sites I trust but not sure if it's allowed to mention them here so I won't.

Oh another thing to take into consideration - anti virus apps are notorious for having permissions which I think are extreme. Permission to write directly into system settings and send SMS and phonecalls without your permission? No thanks. These apps will run in the background constantly, possibly even requiring device admin privileges so you can't even force stop them and will use your RAM on a level only Google Play Services does.

Madz

Addicted Lv3️⃣
Member for 5 years
IMO, nothing beats your stock or anti-virus/anti malware or pre-installed (Trusted by your Device Manufacturer) if your not looking for other bells and whistles. Most Anti Virus/Mobile Security Apps in order not to make them totally lousy or lazy aside from catching notorious malwares, viruses, etc, they add in Applockers, cleaners, file/app/sms hiders, etc. Like in the case for example of Avast Mobile Security (with other features aside from constant AV Updates) like in Xiaomi's case (Security App) which you can choose from Avast, Tenecent or AVL AV definitions which is just the same purpose less the subs cost which you can save few bucks). Know the purpose why you need a AV Third party App before downloading or else it will just be useless on your phone and will contribute to space use and possible RAM Hogging.

To make the long story short there is a purpose why your stock anti malware app is already there and/or Pre-Installed. Let this decide for your smartphone not unless its not functioning as you are expecting it to or if your looking for more features that your stock app can't give you. Just sayin' 🤘😉

bokuboku

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 5 years
Generally it's not needed, although using apps which check your installed apps with VirusTotal (such as Checkey or Virus Total Mobile) can be useful. You wouldn't believe how much malware I've found on the Play Store that way.