💬 Review Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,337 happy users since 2014.
Register

Rosie54321

Novice Lv1️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

Jane Eyre is a 1847 Gothic Victorian, autobiographical book about an orphaned young girl. The story follows significant events through her childhood to adult life, and all the struggles she overcomes along her way. It is often regarded as an early feminist novel ahead of its time.

Review:
There's no simple way to describe how I feel about this novel, but I have to say I absolutely love it. It had a freshness and yet a familiarity I don't quite see in modern literature. Our female protagonist, Jane Eyre, is passionate and emotional, but also sensible and composed. She's always described as "plain", and "ordinary", but her outward appearance contrasts with the complex and intelligent person she is inside. I truly felt connected to this character, even though our lives are completely different. It's 38 chapters and very long, but every second is worth it. Even if sometimes I did get lost in the descriptions and certain Victorian words, I think Charlotte Brontë really made use of every letter and every sentence to flesh out her characters and her world. A lot of Jane's inner struggles and feelings mirror the thoughts and problems people feel today. It's a timeless novel, focusing on so many aspects of human essence that will never fade with time; for me, the most significant was self-love. The symbolism and motifs that Brontë incorporated into the novel are countless, and give the novel dozens of layers I can't possibly describe in a single review. It's so hard for me to describe a character like Jane, simply because she doesn't feel like a character, but a real person. A quality that always awed me was her emotional intelligence and sense of self. No matter how cruel the world was, she never let herself change or become jaded. Her resolve to do what is right forces her to make so many tough decisions, but her inner confidence always guides her to the right choices. I wish every young girl had that sort of self confidence growing up. Even if you are unable to read this masterpiece of literature, I hope you keep with you this quote: “I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do. I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.” - Jane Eyre.​

Would you recommend this to other users?
Yes, but it's a novel best served with critical thinking; alone its a wonderful story of twists, turns, and supernatural events, but if you read deeper you can appreciate it even more. Additionally, I'd recommend it to anybody tired of modern romances with self-insert protagonists who are "not like other girls" and bland male love interests. I would recommend it to young adults and over, as its a bit complex for an early teen, but if you want to try it and you're a little younger that's perfectly fine!​

I honestly adored every page in this book and felt Jane's struggles and stories as if they were my own. Even though we are technically nothing alike, I felt she was like me and understood me. I daresay a lot of perspectives in my life shifted view because of this novel. Anyone looking for classic literature, drama and the supernatural, and wonderfully written twists and turns, This book is absolutely for you.​

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited: