💬 Review Jane Teller- Nothing

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,326,498 happy users since 2014.
Register

Boroka

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the eBook you are reviewing: Jane Teller- Nothing

Jane teller's Nothing is a Danish book, which came out in 2000, hoewer it didn't get much traction until the early 2010's. It tacles with things like the meaning of life, if it has a meaning at all and how far can somebody go to prove something.

Review:
"Life has no meaning. I have known this for a long time. Therefore, there is nothing worth doing. I just realized that."-this is how the book begins.

From a group a teenage students, one of them, Pierre Anthon realizes, that there is no point in life. Istead of going to school he sits on top of a plum tree, expounding his beliefs to his former classmates. Why do they go to school if they die anyway? Why are you worried about anything, if it will end once amd for all? The children could not remain immune to the behavior of Pierre Anthon.

They embark ona feverish gathering to give meaning to their lives, since without they would have to face their deepest fears. This is how the Heap of important things is born. As the story progresses the students are slowly starting to get more and more mad, and the quest to find the meaning of life, is slowly becoming a game of revenge and malevolence.
To give some examples, although i do not want to spoil the story I believe, that it is important to realize just how far these school kids go, to prove Pierre Anthon wrong: There is an exeptionally talented kid who plays a guitar, so of course for him the meaning of life is playing a guitar, and this is why the class demands him to chop his finger off. Hoewer this is one of the lighter requirement that will land on the heap of important things

Would you recommend this to other users? I really do recommend it. It's a great read. It is not just a cliché story about the meaning of life, but how one can become obsessed with an idea, cruelty, and also what thas one's identity means. This was one of the few compulsery reads that I could not put down. If i have to draw parallels Nothing is quite similar to Lord of Flies, both are "philosophical youth novels". Hoewer I personally believe, that Jane Teller's book completely takes on with the kids perspective, therefore we can understand their motivation and feelings thoroughly.

Rating(1-5): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐