Writer's Notebook

A place for members to share their own original writing.

Quick Overview

Category
Books
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

My answer to the five wishes thread.

qth

Fuzz Pawldrin
Member for 6 years
@CordeliaCross I'm posting it here because I don't know if it could satisfy the terms of your question. It was already 3:00 am when I finished this so, I may or may not regret writing this.

It was supposed to be just another morning. Woke up as expected, still breathing. Rolled to the edge of the bed and got up. The sudden uprise produced a headache and then was gone. Eyes puffy, mouth dry. Stuff like that, nothing special.

Just another morning: the start of another monotonous day in my life. Eat, Work, Sleep. Repeat.

I even remember myself wishing before going to the bathroom. I did that always, and always, my wish was for an exciting event to happen before the day ends.

Of course, that was wishful thinking. Excitement comes to those who seek them and that I knew.

But instead of keeping it that morning, I immediately threw that wish away when I heard a noise downstairs in the living room. A single thump, but it was enough to catch my attention.

My dulled senses sharpened. What was that?

A cat? But I don't have a cat, or a dog, I reasoned.
Maybe a rat, a mice, or something. But this room just had pest control yesterday.
An intruder, then? I gulped. Likely. My family doesn't visit me and I don't have friends.

How exciting, I grimaced at the thought. Like they said, be careful what you wish for.

With my heart hammering in my chest, I sneaked out from my room and went downstairs to investigate. As I got close, I realized I had no weapon with me. Sweat rolled down from my back as my mind ran simulations of my possible death. My flight response was starting to kick in but I managed to press on.

So, imagine my surprise as I peeked into view, instead of the expected intruder, a straight-up Disney character was present. There floating from a golden lamp placed on the floor, in the middle of the living room, was a man-like figure of blue color. Smoke seemed to surround his body magically.

I stood there agape—now visible from my hiding place—when he spoke, his shapely head faced in my direction. "You have five wishes. What would you like to do with them?"

The voice, when I heard it, was unearthly but not frightening, rather it sounded resigned. The question took me out of my shock and out of reflex, I answered.

"I want to be rich. Find my true love. Can you make me famous? I also wish for good health, if I want to enjoy my wishes longer. Happiness, hmmm... that or world peace."

I continued rambling while the genie only listened. After a while, he asked this to me, "You won't wish for change?"

Surprise was visible from my face. But the genie continued, "You want an exciting life, as I understand? Oh no, don't worry, it's not as dangerous like you thought. I understand you." After that, a smile was plastered on the genie's face but I swear it looked wistful, even for an instant.

"I'm sorry. Carry on," he gestured. But I didn't have anything to say. He was right.

With that, silence filled the room. He had a thoughtful look as he examined me, while I was busy pondering on what he said.

It took me a solid one hour before I said my first wish. The early morning quiet was long gone by that time and was replaced instead with honks of cars, the smell of burning gasoline, the buzzing noise of the crowd. And if ever I still wanted to work that day, then I was already late.

But the genie waited patiently throughout and I was thankful for that. Somehow, during that long wait, I felt a connection with him. As if we were of similar fate. And I agree, except maybe his fate was much harder to escape.

After my wishes were granted, the morning rush hour was at its peak, but for the first time, I had no urge to join the senseless rush.

That morning now had a purpose.

Even today, I still try to ask myself what would happen if no genie was there in my living room. If I haven't woken up as I was supposed to every morning. If I didn't bother to see what was happening downstairs. If I didn't cared enough to look for anything unusual during that day. Would I still enjoy the things I'm enjoying now?

I'm currently visiting my friend's, the genie, house. He settled nearby and I visited him everyday since then.

After knocking twice on the door, the genie came to open and welcome me inside. He's still in his familiar blue color as I first saw him. Then the same wistful smile appeared on his face before starting the conversation.

"Good morning, friend," he said. "How's the medication?"

CordeliaCross

?Freelance ? Writer ?
Active User
Member for 6 years
@qth I definitely liked that :). Especially the twist at he end.

Reactions: qth

Cheettat

The Demolisher
YouTuber
✔ Approved Releaser
eBook Releaser
Active User
Member for 5 years
Nicely done
Post automatically merged:

@CordeliaCross you didn't read mine did you

Reactions: qth