💬 Review My Fake Boyfriend

Sbenny.com is trusted by 1,324,084 happy users since 2014.
Register

Yiaya

Lurker Lv0️⃣
Member for 4 years
Name of the app you are reviewing: My Fake Boyfriend

My Fake Boyfriend is an otome game with a slight twist—despite being able to choose between four men to date, your protagonist's romance choice is only one of them while the rest serve as a dummy crash course in relationships. Whether you end up falling for the guy you chose or only use him to prepare yourself for the 'real deal' is up to you!

Review:
My Fake Boyfriend is a dating sim whose premise has existed in the media for years; the "what if we were fake dating, but then we fell in love for real" trope.
It's a shallow story at best, but it's not like I was expecting it to be a romance of Pride and Prejudice proportions to begin with, so it didn't bother me... much.

The visuals were lovely. Each character had a design that matched their personalities, whether they were extravagant and off their rocker, or serious but easygoing. You have your typical man-with-glasses-who-is-stern guy, the gorgeous dude who is suave at all times, the older man who's relaxed and gives you head pats and, finally, the man that's your protagonist's end goal—the handsome guy with the white hair.
The designs weren't exactly totally unique, but they were creative and helped me to get further invested into the characters' storylines.

You never see your protagonist's face, but it's not a loss.
Like, probably at all.

I won't sugarcoat this part: the protagonist is a wreck. I'm not sure if the writers were trying to write a character that is all around relatable to women (which she isn't), or if they were going for a certain type that you end up sympathizing with as you watch her react to the situations these men put her in, buuuut...

Well, neither of those really hit the spot for me. While it is technically a choice-based game, your choices range from bursting into tears at the slightest of misunderstandings to throwing tantrums during random arguments or (and that one is really the winner here) letting the guy walk all over you. Queen, your personality has won every drama award there is. Congratulations!

Some of the romance scenes feel a little bit too pushy for my taste, but all in all I thought some of the guys had pretty believable feelings, and watching them develop through the eyes of your clueless protag was pretty interesting, even if it wasn't the most engaging.

Much like any dating simulator, My Fake Boyfriend uses chapter tickets which reset each day to continue its story. The wait is bearable if you're not too invested in the story, but the game also uses paid choices in a diamond currency that you can only earn by completing offers (yep, you know the kind) or finishing story chapters. That means you have to play through stories of the guys you don't really care about first so you can save enough diamonds to buy better choices in the route that you actually want to play.
Whether you bought the diamond answers or not directly affects your ending, so if you didn't spend any on the route you chose, tough luck—that's either a normal or a bad end for you!

Waiting for days to complete one character's route only to play the next so you can make enough diamonds and win the ending that you wanted with one guy feels boring and unrewarding, especially since you'll blast through the other romances with only the diamonds in mind.
It's not the worst system, and I've seen it used before in other games too, but the story is pretty static and predictable with all of the men, so it's a bit hard to stay engaged.
I started playing it and then forgot about it for a while before picking it back up, and even while I was actively playing it I'd still skip a day or two because the chapter ended on a boring note or a pointless conflict.

As far as dating sims go, this isn't the most horrible one or the most exploitative one. The characters are all fun and somewhat unique, and even if your protagonist is written to be a timid wet blanket, she still gets her moments.
(I think her character only shows signs of growth in the 'true' route, though.)
The art is lovely to look at and has it's own charm, and once you get past all the confusion and hurdles, the payoff on the good endings is worth the trouble. Just don't play this too seriously; it has a whole set of flaws, and if you're looking for a dating sim that is loaded with characters with huge personalities and plenty of believable romance, then this is not the right game for you. Expect something lighthearted, predictable and fun.

Would you recommend this to other users? If you like dating sims — yes

If you like dating sims with lots of story — no

Rating (1-5): ⭐⭐⭐